Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
...especially when OP gave them full laundry privileges because no restrictions were listed in the lease. The tenant is not a mind reader after all. What next, OP? You will want to start limiting their hot showers?

Bottom line: If you want to make rules/guidelines then you better do it before someone moves in by putting it all in writing so a tenant knows what they are signing up for and can choose whether they want to/and can live with it and then you have some leverage.

Think about it. If you tried to put restrictions regarding the laundry on the tenant now without having listed and spelled out any restrictions/guidelines and then the tenant does not comply well then good luck evicting over it or winning if the tenant fights you over it.
I see where you're coming from, but its worth noting that presumably the LL is paying the water bill, and she hears the water start and run as she works from home.

Again, not something I'd act on til the next tenant came around, but she has a point.

I had a landlady that complained to me about my water usage, claiming that my toilets were running, etc...

We were on the same water meter, though I had a legal, separate apartment off her home, separate gas, separate electric.

Then she had a fit when she saw I had a portable dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Do as I did and don’t offer laundry machines. Or get the coin op type of machine. I offered regular washers and dryers. I just don’t offer the machines. The hook ups are there but it’s up to the tenant if they want their own.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 6,369 times
I really appreciate all these comments and advice.
I know I made an error in not stipulating the use, so I guess I will have to live with it until the next time.

I don't want to micromanage the renter (though in my mind sometimes I do). I am paying the water bill, but its not
that excessive. Unfortunately, its not really feasible to put a laundry in the house (its old and small) - I've had plumbers come and look.

Thanks for helping me put things in perspective. : )

Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
1 You have a Very Clean Tenant instead of a Messy one OR 2 Tenant does not have that many clothes...towels sheets etc

Old 05-04-2018, 03:03 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I've had a tenant who washed 5-7x per week. When I checked, it turned out, he washed his pants separately. Then his towels all together. All the underwear together. Then beach stuff. Almost killed my washer because if the machine runs almost empty, the whole machine shakes like crazy.

Your tenant might change clothes often or wash bedding all the time and towels, maybe has OCD.
Nothing you can do other than putting it into the lease the next time around.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:59 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I see where you're coming from, but its worth noting that presumably the LL is paying the water bill, and she hears the water start and run as she works from home.

Again, not something I'd act on til the next tenant came around, but she has a point.

I had a landlady that complained to me about my water usage, claiming that my toilets were running, etc...

We were on the same water meter, though I had a legal, separate apartment off her home, separate gas, separate electric.

Then she had a fit when she saw I had a portable dishwasher.
I do not disagree at all with OP's concerns however, again, OP needs to make sure that it has been addressed before a lease signing or wait until the tenant's next renewal so it is in writing especially if wanting to implement any additional charges. But, there is also nothing wrong with possibly addressing/discussing it with the tenant (but not charging) now if it continues like it has been. Who knows, it could be the initial move-in laundering where tenant is possibly getting things washed to be stored away and it may eventually tame down. But also addressing it with the tenant regarding how you are a big water conservationist and see if both of you can figure out a more conservative way to do the laundry (waiting until you have full loads instead of partial loads, washing in cold water vs. hot water, etc), in a non-confrontational manner of course, would also be acceptable. And then decide at next renewal or even with the next tenant on how it should be addressed/handled/charged from there on out.

It could be a number of different reasons why it is bothering the OP; using too much water, paying electricity/gas for the hot water and for running the machines, the noise of the machines running frequently and or the wear/tear on the machines, etc. where all would be addressed/implemented in different ways.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't think 5 loads a week is outside of normal machine useage.

You say she is a good tenant and good tenants can be hard to come by. My suggestion is to raise the rent by $50 to cover the cost of the extra electricity and water. Then, when she runs the machines, you'll feel better about it, knowing that she is paying for the use. (That raise can come only at lease renewal, or 30 day written notice if the tenant is month to month)

You might give her a 24 hour notice that you are going to test the smoke alarm and check the furnace filter. Observe how she keeps the inside of the house before you call her a good tenant. But if she is truly a good tenant, I suggest that you be somewhat accomodating so she will stay.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM

784 posts, read 729,262 times
How much does the additional 2-3 loads cost you? Make sure your 'adjustments' do not cause more headaches than that amount...

Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I do about 3 loads of laundry per week. but when I wash my sheets/blankets/towels, it might be 4 loads that week.

Since you did not stipulate it in the lease, you are out of luck.

Try installing a pay per use laundry. (coin operated)

Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 PM

453 posts, read 410,398 times
That is a normal amount of laundry in my mind. Assuming towels and sheets are probably washed weekly.

As others have stated, if it’s isnt in the lease, you are pretty much out of luck.

Also, even after this lease is up whether it’s same tenant or not, I’d be careful about how you word this and how you act on it. If I was renting a place, and someone was trying to stipulate my laundry use, I’d be pretty put off about that.

Just make sure your rent covers whatever the tenant use may be so your not concerned about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting