Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your property manager show your apartment before you leave
Yes 12 46.15%
No 14 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, your personal ability to make good on a payment plan for the deposit doesn't change the fact that it's a risky think for a landlord to do. Also, note that in my market the deposit is typically 70% of a month's rent. Move-in cost is first month's rent plus deposit, and a $35 application fee. If we took first, last, plus a deposit equal to another month, it might change my views. But that's too high of a move-in cost in my opinion.

If someone can't come up with the move-in costs, they can't rent from me. I don't make any exceptions. It's a business decision and I know I might sometimes be letting a great tenant walk away, but one of the most important disciplines of a property manager or landlord is to have a policy and stick with it.

The problem some landlords have is if their home is sitting vacant, and that's become more and more uncomfortable for them, they lower the standards upon which applicants must qualify instead of just dropping the rent. Then they make a bad decisions, doing stupid things like letting them move in without paying all the rent or deposit, or working out some sort of deal to trade work (painting or yard work is what I usually hear about) for the shortage of funds, and it all goes downhill from there.

So, yes, it is in fact a very prudent policy to simply not accept applicants who can't come up with move-in costs, and I agree that someone like you would be the exception to the bad outcome, but you still wouldn't be able to rent from me because my policy is not flexible.

Steve
I have seen it go two ways: Either 1st months, security deposit (which usually is up to the amount of one months rent, although I have seen higher) and any pet deposits and what-not, and; 1st, last and security deposit equalling one months rent plus pet deposits, etc. It cost me $3500 to begin my new lease. Granted, I already paid my last months rent and I should get back 100% of my deposit, so in the long run it works out. It's just that $3500 is a lot of money drop off up front, especially since I moved a full apartments worth of stuff half-way across the country.

I understand that it is a business, but a part of the application fee is supposed to go to a background/credit check. If you would trust someone to take good care of the place while it is occupied on top of really trusting them to pay rent every month for the duration of the lease, then logic would follow that you would trust them to pay off the deposit in a timely and reasonable amount of time. If you feel that a potential renter would skip out on paying the deposit off, then why do you think that they won't just disappear in the middle of the month? People make the Midnight Express all the time. You either trust them or you don't. Maybe that is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM

23 posts, read 165,490 times
I do not own any property and I am not a property manager, but I do have to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with protecting one's financial bottom line. Renting property is a business, not a community service. If you owned your home and were ready to sell, do you think you your Realtor wouldn't be bringing in prospective buyers? And probably at more inconvenient times than when your landlord shows apartments.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Here in Minnesota, when a tenant moves out, it does not have to be in move-in condition for the next tenant. It must be "broom clean" which means that the floors must be vacuumed or mopped and everything must be wiped down and dusted.

They must paint between every tenant, so there is no way to expect the apartment to be spotless. I have never been billed for any clean-up. Then again, I rent an apartment, not a house.

As for the air filter thing, I find that confusing. If someone just swaps out a dirty air filter for a clean one, they're fine but if if the dirty one is left in, that requires an air-conditioner service to come in and clean the whole system? Wow. If a cleanliness or damage issue isn't brought up during the final walk-through when a tenant moves out, the client can then assume everything is fine and they'll get their full deposit back. (Unless there is blatant, hidden damage that is discovered later.)

Minnesota has 21 days to return a deposit. I'm just glad I'm not required to leave an apartment in move-in condition because I've never moved into an apartment that was up to my standards of clean to begin with. In my case, I'm moving out at the end of April and I won't have to clean anything because they're going to repaint and replace the carpet and linoleum. I just have to make sure the appliances and the bathroom are clean.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 PM

188 posts, read 548,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve
Also, the maintenance man opens and closes ever door, drawer, cabinet door, etc. and often finds broken items that a visual walkthrough would not reveal. Burnt out bulbs that were not replaced, broken/missing garage openers, etc.

I can't be that thorough on a 10 minute walkthrough.
These are the reasons why I like to see an empty apartment when I look for a new place to live.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well they cant bill you if you they signed off for it. Also there has to be allowed reasonable "wear and tear" like chipped paint (no charge) larged gouges (charged) etc.

Ulta - I think you sound like an awesome LL. Treating people like people. A rare find.

I plan on doing a top to bottom check out walkthrough here. Still the law stands here that the LL has up to 30 days. But I am making plans and staying in touch with my current LL so maybe I will get the check that day.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
My management company does this and I have absolutely no problem with it. As a matter of fact, EVERY place I have ever rented had that same policy. If everybody was bothered by strangers tromping through their homes, houses would never get sold. I suppose the only way to avoid this entirely is to move out of the rental immediately after giving notice and have all of your stuff out or be there when they show the property. It is what it is.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
How many of you renters who are not renewing your lease, have property managers that show your apartment before you leave?

My manager does this, and I don't like it. Its an invasion of my privacy, and I don't like the idea of strangers looking at all my life's belongings. perhaps, said stranger will see my TV and come back for a robbery?

I don't think this practice is fair to the tenant due to privacy concerns, but I also don't think its fair to potential tenants as they can't see the apartment when it is covered with other peoples crap.

When I was looking for my present apartment, I looked at one place that had every single surface covered with toys, garbage, clothes, and dirty dishes.

My previous town did not do this. However, ALL the managers in my present town does.

If I may ask, what city and state are you living in?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Because the more time I have to show a property, the more prospective tenants I can select from, and the greater the chance that I will find a GOOD one in the bunch. One that won't trash my place, and who will pay their rent on time is a lot less hassle than someone who is going to cause thousands of dollars of damage, pay late, and skip out on the last couple months of rent.

If I know a tenant is moving, it's just plain stupid to sit around and wait for the place to be vacated before taking care of business and lining up the next tenant.
So, let's get this straight. As I already said in another thread, what if I (hypothetically) was on a three year car lease and was nearing the end of the lease. Should I have to turn in the vehicle every week-end so that the leasing company could show my car to the next leasee or buyer? I can't imagine that happening. What I'm hearing is that you landlords don't really care about inconveniencing others or even going against a contract as long as you are (1) not inconvenienced and (2) you do not suffer financially. I don't understand why you have the right to sort of take away someone's home and make it public the last few months or month of someone's lease. I really don't care that you got scre*ed over or whatever by people who skipped out, etc. This is the cost of doing business. What's so special about all of you landlords? Every business that does leasing has no right to interject themselves into their client's leases and take their leased items away, not unless the contract has been breached in some way. Why are you guys an exception to this rule?

P.S. - Along with Greybear, I will NEVER put myself at the mercy of landlords; thank God that we own our own home. It's really too bad (and sad) that so many people have to put up with this sort of invasion of privacy and peace as it comes to their dwelling.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
I said this to RoaminRed, and now I will say it to you Steve

I see your point Steve, and this policy is good for the manager/owner. But its a pain for the renter, an invasion of privacy, and I will lose time at work to be present for the showings. Therefore, I still do not like this practice.

Now that we have settled our differences Steve, I would like to move on to the point of the thread and find out if this is a common practice throughout the U.S., as this may persuade/dissuade me from renting again.

I'm just going to say this, Greybear, and that is that I agree with you. Bottom line to all of this is to watch what you sign, read all the fine detail and know a good knowledgable real estate lawyer at all times. From what I'm reading, there's a lot of jerks out there who have no problems acting like bullies and making people feel inferior to them. Of course, that's what bullies like to do. I wish you the best, Greybear. I feel sorry for those that have no choice than to rent from people who think they have the right to do anything at anytime to anybody. Take care.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
For all you property managers that are defending this practice, that is ridiculous. I'm currently in that situation, and every single person that has come to see this FURNISHED apartment while the current tenant is still here has been horrified at the invasion of privacy. I live in a really REALLY nice condo for an amazing price, but literally every prospective tenant has refused to live here because they don't want it happening to them. Talk all you want about doing what you need to do to get it rented. Odds are, any tenants you get that are ok with that practice aren't going to be top-quality tenants who will treat your property with respect, since you obviously have no respect for their privacy. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Lots of places don't. Use a little common sense. You're only making yourself look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting