Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 4,168 times

Advertisements

Tennant with two grown children in early 20's have been paying rent on time. The individual that signed the lease is not present and has since moved out without notification..... however, the children stay and continue to pay rent in timely fashion.

Is there any consequence to landlord for such a situation?
What course of action would you take as a landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiang View Post
Tennant with two grown children in early 20's have been paying rent on time.
The individual that signed the lease is not present and has since moved out without notification.....
however, the children stay and continue to pay rent in timely fashion.

There sure can be.

Quote:
Have ALL adults complete the application and sign a lease.
Well, assuming they all pass muster.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:19 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiang View Post
Tennant with two grown children in early 20's have been paying rent on time. The individual that signed the lease is not present and has since moved out without notification..... however, the children stay and continue to pay rent in timely fashion.

Depending on the laws in your state you could run into difficulties should you have to evict them at some point. I agree with the other poster who recommended that you get the residents on a lease ASAP.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,881,257 times
Agreed. To encourage this without an argument you might not start with...I see dad moved out, you can't stay without your own lease. If you want to keep them, say something with the intention of I see your dad moved out, great man, appreciated having him as a tenant. Well now it seems you are staying...let's me and you sign that lease so everything is understood as your dad did. And then go into further things from there.

Hopefully they will qualify for you.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:14 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
I had this happen to me where I was managing an apartment building in Silicon Valley. I told the new occupants that they had to sign a lease by a certain date in order to stay. They didn't want to, and moved out without issue. I got lucky there.

The funny thing was, I got a call from a landlord who was given my name and number by these occupants as a reference for renting a new place somewhere else. I told the landlord the full story. That I'd rented to someone else, who let them come stay, then he moved out and these guys moved in without discussing it with me, that they refused to sign a lease and chose to move rather than sign one. But, that they did always pay the rent on time and hadn't caused any other problems.

So, the landlord asked me if I'd rent to them again lol - obviously asking his script questions. I said, no, because they were untrustworthy people and I'd never rented to them in the first place.

The silly thing was, I only used month to month agreements. So, for them to not want to sign a month to month agreement with me, then go apply somewhere with a lease was pretty silly. I suppose they just didn't know the good situation they had with me, until they'd moved in with another friend, and got kicked out there, and then the only rental options were year leases lol.

These were immigrants from India and it's just possible they just didn't understand the system in the U.S.

But, if your tenants don't agree to move voluntarily, you can still evict them. Just list their names, if you know them, and John and Jane Does 1-10 or something like that. In a case like this, it might be worth it to just pay an eviction attorney. They usually work for a flat fee.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,485,872 times
Assuming they're paying their rent on time and you don't mind having them as tenants, then there's really no problem. They're simply month to month tenants without a fixed term or written lease, which describes millions of people across the country.

If you want them gone, then it's the same as any other month to month tenant. You need to give them the proper amount of notice (usually 30 days in most states) that you want them out.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 AM

8 posts, read 4,168 times
thank you for information, i have notified my Michigan tennants accordingly and await a response from individual who signed my lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting