U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 AM

65 posts, read 32,523 times

Advertisements

I own an 2 units property in a suburb.The property is in good condition.One apartment rented out ,and the other is vacant
I live far.
Just fired my rental manager.
I want to sell my property,but I think is not so easy.
The tenant now lives there has a nice family and they have been living there for 2 years.They always pay rent on time.
I wonder if I can ask him to help manage my place until I can sell the house.Of course I will pay him.
Is anybody has the same experience ?
Need ideas please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 03:58 AM

16,098 posts, read 21,574,382 times
Yes....i would at least discuss this if you trust this tenant. Also, that give this tenant some time to decide if perhaps he wants to try and buy your property.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 AM

2,521 posts, read 4,806,709 times
It depends on what you mean by "manage" exactly, but yes that's fairly common.

I have a two family house and the downstairs tenant gets a discount on rent for acting a handyman for the property. I prefer to be more hands on when it comes to doing other things like finding new tenants and such and wouldn't hire anyone for that, but I also live close by.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 AM

7,375 posts, read 9,116,489 times
Of course you can ask him. You might also ask him if he's interested in purchasing the property.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM

12,018 posts, read 9,563,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
I own an 2 units property in a suburb.The property is in good condition.One apartment rented out ,and the other is vacant
I live far.
Just fired my rental manager.
I want to sell my property,but I think is not so easy.
The tenant now lives there has a nice family and they have been living there for 2 years.They always pay rent on time.
I wonder if I can ask him to help manage my place until I can sell the house.Of course I will pay him.
Is anybody has the same experience ?
Need ideas please.
Ask him if he wants to buy it. Since it's 2 units I'm thinking 2 family home , maybe he can go in with another family member if he can't afford it himself.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
It depends on what you mean by "manage" exactly, but yes that's fairly common.

I have a two family house and the downstairs tenant gets a discount on rent for acting a handyman for the property. I prefer to be more hands on when it comes to doing other things like finding new tenants and such and wouldn't hire anyone for that, but I also live close by.
Thank you.
I want to know did you sign any agreements or contract with the tenant ?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes....i would at least discuss this if you trust this tenant. Also, that give this tenant some time to decide if perhaps he wants to try and buy your property.
Thank you all for the idea of offer to buy.He said enjoy living in the area.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 AM

2,521 posts, read 4,806,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmsurfer View Post
Thank you.
I want to know did you sign any agreements or contract with the tenant ?
No. I took over the management of the property from my mother in law, who is Polish, and the tenants are Polish as well. It's very informal.

It has been fine, but that's not how I would do things in the future. I would have wording in the lease that outlines what sort of duties are expected of the tenant that's acting as a handyman so there's no confusion.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 1,404,853 times
I wouldnt..say you get an interested buyer that mentions he is going to raise rent...your tenant is likely to discourage the seller. Or a buyer that says he is going to buy both units, live in one and put family on the other after lease expires..he will discourage buyer. Or a buyer that says he is going to accept section 8..Tenant may discourage. Or buyer that has a bunch of kids and plans on living in one side...tenant will discourage.
I doubt you will have tenant trying to sell home to any qualified buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or