Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 AM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times

Advertisements

I read this forum a lot & it seriously makes me thankful for our complex, the manager, & my neighbors.

Last weekend was the first time I even thought to complain because a neighbor had loud music which lasted until after 12. But, it had never happened before & I wanted to get the scoop from the manager before I made a complaint.

While talking with her on Monday I asked who lived directly behind me & it turned out it is the kid who reminds me so much of my son & I feel a closeness to him because of that. He has mental health issues, as my son did, & she told me sometimes he'll go off his meds, which is when the loud music happens. She said she'd talk to him &, if necessary, get his social worker out here. Thanked me for coming in, etc.

Just knowing it was him made me comfortable. As I said, I feel a closeness to him & also know what can happen when a person goes off their meds. He's not a violent person, he just gets loud. I feel I can tell him to turn it down if it happens again.

I am so comfortable living here, so happy I found out about & applied here. I shudder at some of the stories I read on here & it makes me grateful for what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 AM

48 posts, read 34,284 times
Obviously you aren't happy because you complained about the loud music.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
So glad to hear it meo!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLove12 View Post
Obviously you aren't happy because you complained about the loud music.
And I explained it. People with mental health issues need understanding, not complaints. If I would have known it was him I would have knocked on his door & told him to turn it down.

My concern was if we had new people who might bear watching. One instance does not necessarily mean a bad neighbor. I feel it's best to find out the circumstances before assuming anything.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
So the landlord was telling you about your neighbors mental health issues? I’d not be happy if I was that guy. But then again I guess he’s talking about it too.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So the landlord was telling you about your neighbors mental health issues? I’d not be happy if I was that guy. But then again I guess he’s talking about it too.
I'm the one that brought up his issues. I recognized this upon first meeting him, while he was walking his dog. Once you've experienced/seen the affect of mi, it's pretty easy to recognize. His demeaner was like my son's.

He & I got to talking because his dog & I liked each other right from the start. Now every time they come by & I'm outside, they stop. I told him he reminded me of my son & he feels comfortable with me.

So yes, we did talk about him, especially when I told her about his resemblance to my son. I told her my son had issue & he reminded me of him. She then felt free to ask me to let her know if/when he got loud so his case worker would get involved. It wasn't gossip as much as it was information.

Her first words were for me to call the police if noise was after 10 pm. When I said it hadn't happened before & asked who was behind me, she told me who lived there.

I was very glad I hadn't called the police as it would have really set him back. I know it would have terrified my son if it had happened to him. So I am glad to know what the clues are & I can be part of the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting