Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM

25 posts, read 20,585 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am going to be renting a house soon, around Anaheim, CA. I'm not sure if I will stay there after the lease expires because it depends on how to job pans out. Anyway, I will have to bring my own refrigerator and washer/dryer. I wanted to ask what do you guys think if I should purchase new or used appliances? I don't need anything special for the refrigerator (ie ice maker, water, fancy stuff, etc), just a base level regular refrigerator that has one part that keeps things cold and another that keeps things frozen. Same for washer/dryer, probably on average one load a week. Just needs basic temperature adjustments. Just me in the house for now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 01:58 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Depends what you want to spend. You can find very good deals on used appliances on facebook marketplace and Craigslist.

I've bought washer drier sets that are nice, for $200. Fridges for $100.

You just won't get them with warranties, and you may not get them delivered.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:00 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Definitely used. I supply them for my rentals and always find awesome deals on Nextdoor. Sometimes Craigslist for the ones that “fell off a truck”.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM

I'm a little hesitant to pick up used appliances on craigslist. I don't have any experience with appliances, reliability, failures, etc, to know if someone is selling me a failing dud or not. Is this just luck? I could consider a used appliance store but even then I've heard of failures months after the purchase when it's out of the store warranty.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilex View Post
I'm a little hesitant to pick up used appliances on craigslist. I don't have any experience with appliances, reliability, failures, etc, to know if someone is selling me a failing dud or not. Is this just luck? I could consider a used appliance store but even then I've heard of failures months after the purchase when it's out of the store warranty.
That’s the downside of buying used, and why I prefer Nextdoor.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
That’s the downside of buying used, and why I prefer Nextdoor.
I see. Nextdoor is news to me. Can you explain why it's superior to something like craigslist? It looks like a social network for neighborhoods, and I assume there's a marketplace on there. But isn't it almost like craigslist if the social aspect were removed?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Hi all, I am going to be renting a house soon, around Anaheim, CA. I'm not sure if I will stay there after the lease expires because it depends on how to job pans out. Anyway, I will have to bring my own refrigerator and washer/dryer. I wanted to ask what do you guys think if I should purchase new or used appliances? I don't need anything special for the refrigerator (ie ice maker, water, fancy stuff, etc), just a base level regular refrigerator that has one part that keeps things cold and another that keeps things frozen. Same for washer/dryer, probably on average one load a week. Just needs basic temperature adjustments. Just me in the house for now. Thanks.
If you know you are going to be using them in your next place might as well buy them new. If the next home you rent has them already you will have to store yours or use yours are store the LL's.

New basic full size fridge/freezer washer and dryer will cost you $1200 new plus any installation or delivery charges. If you find a used appliance place check out their online rations and reviews. Find out their warranty on used appliances too. All 3 used you may be able to get for $400 to $500 from a used appliance place, sometimes they offer free or discounted shipping and setup too. You can negotiate since you are buying 3 things.

I know you are renting but whenever you buy a home the appliances are used anyway and you never know how long they will last either.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:

Good news is you're risking $100-200. You can buy even two or three of them in the next few years for less than new. Or they could go another 10 years with no problems.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Buy used and resell them when you leave so you don't have to schlep them around.

When you see an ad for those appliances get the brand and model number and look up reviews on line. Amazon is a good source. Or you can just google the items with the words reviews or complaints. You'll find plenty of information.

Then when you go to somebody's house to look at the items make sure they are hooked up and running. Tell them to save a laundry load so you can see how the washer dryer works and check for leaks. Check the operation of the refrigerator.

If the seller doesn't want to cooperate, walk away unless they are dirt cheap.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I see. Nextdoor is news to me. Can you explain why it's superior to something like craigslist? It looks like a social network for neighborhoods, and I assume there's a marketplace on there. But isn't it almost like craigslist if the social aspect were removed?
It is. But you have to register by name and address - so you know who you’re dealing with. Far less likely to get cornholed by a neighbor, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting