Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 PM

430 posts, read 335,139 times

Advertisements

I just moved into an apt with a few problems and one that's not being fixed by the LL. Basically there's a pretty bad leak with my kitchen sinks. Like they leak so bad I can fill the sink up with water and most of it will just drip out from the plumbing. This I didn't know until I went to soak my dishes and wash them and came back to an empty sink. I thought "maybe I didn't cut them on" and filled it up again. When to run errands, came back, empty again and a puddle of water near the sink. I mopped it up and, this time, ran it and opened the doors and saw the water practically dripping from the pipes.

There's a residential manager on site and I told him and he said "Oh yeah, we know. Just don't use that side much or you can DAMAGE the garbage disposal and it's electrical and can cause a big problem."

I was baffled and said "So you knew the piping was bad and never told me? Why not?" He shrugged and said he and the landlord barely saw me and assumed I wouldn't be home enough to notice. Yes, somehow I wouldn't be home long enough within a whole year to not notice a plumbing issue -_-.

I called the LL and told him and he said it's a pre-existing problem they can't seem to fix, so not much he can (or will) do about it. Said, like the manager, to not use that side often cause it's connected to the disposal and it's electrical and can cause a problem or worse.

So now I'm stuck with damaged AF pipes and still can't cook cause the idiot also didn't have a stove installed prior to me moving and I'm STILL (almost two weeks later) waiting for someone to hook up my stove so I can cook dinner finally. It's costly buying quick meal stuff, I prefer to cook too, so this is really aggravating.

Like the apt itself is nicely sized, in a nice area, close to everything, cat friendly, and affordable but this is really making me already gather my options for next year. Hell I used to live in a studio and this is a two bed and I MISS the studio cause of this crap. At least I got what I saw, the apt I toured was the apt I got, it was actually READY for occupancy upon move-in, and had all of two problems that were resolved within 24hrs of calling!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:35 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Drain plumbing is simple to fix, take some pictures and also show where the water is coming out and I can likely walk you through it. Most likely it is missing an o ring or something stupid simple like that. I'd bet that it is a habitability issue so you might be able to call some inspector out for it, be prepared to move at the end of your lease if you do that.

Edit: after a second read, it is leaking when the drain is plugged?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 PM

453 posts, read 409,999 times
Telling a tenant not to use stuff in their apartment isn’t and adequate solution to a problem. Leaks must be fixed, as it can become a safety and health hazard if they are not.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I just moved into an apt with a few problems and ...
and how cheap is the rent compared to other choices you had?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Completely immaterial when the systems in the home are not functional andnpose a potential issue.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:27 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I just moved into an apt with a few problems and one that's not being fixed by the LL. Basically there's a pretty bad leak with my kitchen sinks. Like they leak so bad I can fill the sink up with water and most of it will just drip out from the plumbing. This I didn't know until I went to soak my dishes and wash them and came back to an empty sink. I thought "maybe I didn't cut them on" and filled it up again. When to run errands, came back, empty again and a puddle of water near the sink. I mopped it up and, this time, ran it and opened the doors and saw the water practically dripping from the pipes.

There's a residential manager on site and I told him and he said "Oh yeah, we know. Just don't use that side much or you can DAMAGE the garbage disposal and it's electrical and can cause a big problem."

I was baffled and said "So you knew the piping was bad and never told me? Why not?" He shrugged and said he and the landlord barely saw me and assumed I wouldn't be home enough to notice. Yes, somehow I wouldn't be home long enough within a whole year to not notice a plumbing issue -_-.

I called the LL and told him and he said it's a pre-existing problem they can't seem to fix, so not much he can (or will) do about it. Said, like the manager, to not use that side often cause it's connected to the disposal and it's electrical and can cause a problem or worse.

So now I'm stuck with damaged AF pipes and still can't cook cause the idiot also didn't have a stove installed prior to me moving and I'm STILL (almost two weeks later) waiting for someone to hook up my stove so I can cook dinner finally. It's costly buying quick meal stuff, I prefer to cook too, so this is really aggravating.

Like the apt itself is nicely sized, in a nice area, close to everything, cat friendly, and affordable but this is really making me already gather my options for next year. Hell I used to live in a studio and this is a two bed and I MISS the studio cause of this crap. At least I got what I saw, the apt I toured was the apt I got, it was actually READY for occupancy upon move-in, and had all of two problems that were resolved within 24hrs of calling!
If its leaking with the drain plugged, four bucks and some plumber’s putty is the fix.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM

784 posts, read 728,513 times
Is the water leaking under the sink? Or is it just the stopper is bad or not put in correctly?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:54 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,178 times
hope they dont try to charge you for damages if you move out later

Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 AM

453 posts, read 409,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This couldn’t be any less relevant to the issues at hand. Why is it always asked on here, as if low rent is an excuse not to fix problems. (It’s not)

Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
Why is it always asked on here, as if low rent is an excuse not to fix problems. (It’s not)
Correct. Low rent is not an excuse. I don't recall anyone saying it was; including me.
But we all know low rent aligns commonly with condition defects. Right?

Quote:
This couldn’t be any less relevant to the issues at hand.
Rent rates relative to the larger market are entirely relevant. In every thread.
We all know that low rent aligns commonly with ignorant owner/manager practices. Right?

Back on point... and for those who seem to need every point spoon fed... does anyone suppose that the POS
sort of property manager the OP describes didn't give off signals of how they operate PRIOR to signing up and the move in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting