Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

I have a new job in a small town and I'm looking at rentals (no time to sell my house before the job starts and no energy to mess with a contingency. Plus, I may decide I don't like the new town. I plan to give it two years). I can rent out my current home for mortgage plus 30%.

What I'm finding is there is very little in my price range (I'm shooting for my current mortgage minus 10% or lower) and the competition is fierce. I've found plenty in the range of my current mortgage payment plus 35%, which would mean I would need to secure a roommate. That's a whole different kettle of fish. I have applied for one of those houses and we'll see if I even qualify on my own (not much time to find a roommate, either!)

OR I can rent a decent sized mobile home in my target range, no roommate needed. The mobile homes in this price range are set on foundations with porches and garages and actual roofs, etc.

I would never in a bajillion years purchase a mobile home. They just don't seem like a good value to me. But what are the pitfalls of renting one? The only thing I can see in the pictures that even indicates it's a mobile home are the cheezy wall panels (no sheetrock).

FYI, this small town is on the coast, so I would not want to hang around in a hurricane/tropical storm. I don't consider that a dealbreaker, if the house blows away in a storm I only have a few meager yet insured possessions. With the money I'd save, I can just drive to my daughters house for a few days.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
55 and over parks are typically the nicest.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
55 and over parks are typically the nicest.
I'm not sure how this is relevant as I'm neither 55+, nor are the properties I'm looking at in 55+ communities.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
IF it Not on land Owned by the same person that owns the MH... You are going to need the Park owners/mgr approval too. Even IF the MH owner is paying the lot rent. So that 2 Landlords to please. Newer MH have sheetrock.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have a new job in a small town and I'm looking at rentals (no time to sell my house before the job starts and no energy to mess with a contingency. Plus, I may decide I don't like the new town. I plan to give it two years). I can rent out my current home for mortgage plus 30%.

What I'm finding is there is very little in my price range (I'm shooting for my current mortgage minus 10% or lower) and the competition is fierce. I've found plenty in the range of my current mortgage payment plus 35%, which would mean I would need to secure a roommate. That's a whole different kettle of fish. I have applied for one of those houses and we'll see if I even qualify on my own (not much time to find a roommate, either!)

OR I can rent a decent sized mobile home in my target range, no roommate needed. The mobile homes in this price range are set on foundations with porches and garages and actual roofs, etc.

I would never in a bajillion years purchase a mobile home. They just don't seem like a good value to me. But what are the pitfalls of renting one? The only thing I can see in the pictures that even indicates it's a mobile home are the cheezy wall panels (no sheetrock).

FYI, this small town is on the coast, so I would not want to hang around in a hurricane/tropical storm. I don't consider that a dealbreaker, if the house blows away in a storm I only have a few meager yet insured possessions. With the money I'd save, I can just drive to my daughters house for a few days.

Thoughts???
What do you mean they have real roods as opposed to imaginary?

Those cheesy wall panels and thin windows means it's going to cost a lot of money to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. and like you said you would need to evacuate even if a category 1 hurricane was headed your way. Other than that I can't think of any other downfalls.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Not much difference in renting anything else. Renting always has potential pitfalls.
As far as electrical costs, same deal. Depends on the house, mobile or otherwise.
Before renovating, I had all cheesy walls and thin windows and live in SWF and still never had an electric bill higher than $150 even in the middle of the summer.
You could ask for previous bills if that's a concern.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Who pays the lot rent?

Who do you contact for maintenance?

What are the Park Rules, i.e. pets, parking, mowing, yard decorations, window treatments, outdoor storage, etc.?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
If I had to rent again I would much rather be in a mobile home than an apartment complex. Sure some of the neighbors would make noise but at least you don't have upstairs/downstairs neighbors.

The downside is that your utility bills will be higher.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Thank you!!!

Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
If the neighborhood inside the park is good... I'd prefer it to an apartment. At least you're not sharing walls, and you can have a yard and some flowers... perhaps pets. But the vibe in the park is everything.... drive it and look closely at the neighbors. Maybe hang out there on a Friday night. Call the sheriff's department and see if they do a lot of calls in there. Look it up on some of the crime mapping resources online. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting