Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM

430 posts, read 335,391 times

Advertisements

So I've never been to court for something like this, let alone evicted, but it looks like that's soon to be my case and since this is all new to me I have no idea what to expect, let alone if an eviction is what I'm actually about to be dealing with to be honest. The law out here seems to say I'd have 24hrs (or a week if I ask nicely) to move out after being passed judgement and I'm not waiting until the last minute to finally look.

The **** poor judgement on the last eviction thread leads me to say to NOT go on and on about why you'd never rent out to someone with an eviction, as that's purely useless information for me. I just need to know how to find a new place in MN such as: MPLS, St Paul, Richfield, Edina, Bloomington, Eden Prairie, St Louis Park. My jobs in downtown St Paul. I'm not going to pour my heart out to people who most likely won't care regardless, its just the situation I got myself into and I need to work my way around it.

Basically, though, if I am evicted, exactly how might I go about finding a new place? My credit is decent and keeps going up. This eviction will be the only thing I have that'll show up on a record. No issues with law or collections. Nothing really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Look, a landlord runs a business. And they wouldn't be in business anymore if they made bad business decisions. And renting to someone with an eviction is a really bad business decision. An eviction basically says a tenant is SO BAD (not paying rent, not following rules, or damaging property) and they refused to make amends to avoid the process.

Look, your specific situation may not have the same circumstances, but 99% of landlords don't care.

But to answer your question:

1) Find a landlord who doesn't do background checks. Be prepared that this guy is likely a slum lord, and your will likely live in a hovel.

2) Align yourself with someone who will be the primary on the lease (you would only be an occupant). They would have to make enough to cover the entire rent, though. Some landlords, though, won't even accept this.

3) Live with relatives.

4) Buy your own place.

I know it seems daunting, but an eviction essentially labels you as a sh**ty tenant. So you have to understand why most landlords won't give you a second glance. Bad credit can be overcome with time.....an eviction is much harder.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
if I am evicted, exactly how might I go about finding a new place?
Look to get a rental in the seedy area of town such as near strip clubs or where there's lots of crime. Or get a room or suite in an inexpensive motel. Sometimes the people living in the cheap motels are there because nobody will rent to them even though they have the money for rent.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Look, a landlord runs a business. And they wouldn't be in business anymore if they made bad business decisions. And renting to someone with an eviction is a really bad business decision. An eviction basically says a tenant is SO BAD (not paying rent, not following rules, or damaging property) and they refused to make amends to avoid the process.

Look, your specific situation may not have the same circumstances, but 99% of landlords don't care.

But to answer your question:

1) Find a landlord who doesn't do background checks. Be prepared that this guy is likely a slum lord, and your will likely live in a hovel.

2) Align yourself with someone who will be the primary on the lease (you would only be an occupant). They would have to make enough to cover the entire rent, though. Some landlords, though, won't even accept this.

3) Live with relatives.

4) Buy your own place.

I know it seems daunting, but an eviction essentially labels you as a sh**ty tenant. So you have to understand why most landlords won't give you a second glance. Bad credit can be overcome with time.....an eviction is much harder.
Thats why im not bothering with explaining my situation. Nobody here will give a ****, so why waste my time? I'll explain it to whoever's renting since theyre voice is what matters the most.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Did you have good rental references before the eviction? What is your credit score? What is your ratio of income to expected rent?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
No decent place will ever rent to you with an eviction on your record, and you can probably kiss your chances of buying real estate with a mortgage goodbye, too.

If money isn't the issue, since you haven't mentioned not having money to move into a new place, can't you fix whatever got you here?

If not, without details, how can anyone help you? Of course, we're going to think the worst. People don't normally get evicted without good cause.

But, if you want to find someone to rent to you, even though you are a terrible risk, you're going to have to find basically an idiot of a landlord, or a slum lord who doesn't care who rents his dumps.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Did you have good rental references before the eviction? What is your credit score? What is your ratio of income to expected rent?
1) The two I have are good. They were good people, I liked my last landlord.
2) Poor right now due to overuse of my credit card, which was part of the issues I was facing. Right now, since I'm stable, I'm slowly paying it down and getting my score back where I was. Never been late on a payment though, so I'm hopeful. Prior to this my average was 680.
3) After bills, and bloating the more variable ones (food and gas for example), I'd have approximately $1900-$2200 left over to spend on rent. This is also due to working 15hrs over time a week. More soon, since I'm the only manager now who can fulfill multiple job duties that the others can't, so I'm usually called in.

Unfortunately, this job didn't come soon enough, so that's why I'm pretty screwed right now. And judging by how communication with my landlord and I is going, I don't think (or blame him really) he'll be willing to wait around until I'm paid again to get him what he owes. And I'm not about to wait until the last minute to find out I need to go and have NOTHING to fall back on.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No decent place will ever rent to you with an eviction on your record, and you can probably kiss your chances of buying real estate with a mortgage goodbye, too.

If money isn't the issue, since you haven't mentioned not having money to move into a new place, can't you fix whatever got you here?

If not, without details, how can anyone help you? Of course, we're going to think the worst. People don't normally get evicted without good cause.

But, if you want to find someone to rent to you, even though you are a terrible risk, you're going to have to find basically an idiot of a landlord, or a slum lord who doesn't care who rents his dumps.
Money was the issue. I wasn't making enough and my backup card was maxed out, since I was using it to cover costs in my emergency state.

And no I can't afford the fees because I'll be left with nothing to take care of myself. Like zero dollars. And this is because he tagged the court fees WITH everything else, so he wants the rent and late fees (fair) but also the court fees which I can't afford. If I could put the court fees on hold, I'll be good. But seeing as how the summons has the amount I need to pay as the rent, late rent, AND court fees I don't think I'm getting out of it.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Your best bet is to try and make amends with your LL. Doesn’t sound possible. I’m not going to waste time telling you why you should not of gotten to this position with your LL.

Otherwise you’ll need to explain your situation to a LL before you apply. Or hope you find a LL who performs no background checks and doesn’t care as long as you pay rent. He most likely deals specifically with people who had/have financial issues. Expect month to month tenancy and astronomical rent payment along with possibility of a rental that isn’t in the best physical shape.

What I am curious is if you are counting on the OT to pay the rent what is your plan if the OT is cut back or completely removed as a option?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM

453 posts, read 410,398 times
Try to make amends if possible. If not, find any rental that will take you and build up a positive payment history. If your evicted, the best thing you can do is put distance between yourself and that event. An eviction doesn’t go away, but your more likely to get something half decent if you can show that since you’ve been a good paying tenant.

I also wouldn’t count on OT to pay rent or bills. Overtime should basically be a little extra cash in your pocket. Relying on it to pay for things can get tricky. Businesses can cut OT without notice, or even not offer it at all. It’s often unpredictable as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting