Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Money was the issue. I wasn't making enough and my backup card was maxed out, since I was using it to cover costs in my emergency state.

And no I can't afford the fees because I'll be left with nothing to take care of myself. Like zero dollars. And this is because he tagged the court fees WITH everything else, so he wants the rent and late fees (fair) but also the court fees which I can't afford. If I could put the court fees on hold, I'll be good. But seeing as how the summons has the amount I need to pay as the rent, late rent, AND court fees I don't think I'm getting out of it.
When you said you couldn't pay rent because you didn't have enough money left over after paying other bills, I realized you have your priorities messed up. Rent always comes first. Housing comes first. Always. Then, you pay utilities, if you have to, you go to a food bank for food. If you have a car payment, you need to get rid of that car, and buy one with cash that's cheaper.

But, first and foremost, you pay housing. Then electricity/gas. Then, bills from there.

If your debt is out of your hands, you can file bankruptcy to start over. You can file yourself, and if you are low income, you can even get the fees waived for filing bankruptcy. I had to file a few years ago, and all it cost was the priority mail envelope to mail the paperwork to the court.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...r-7-bankruptcy

But, a landlord can forgive a Chapter 7 bankruptcy far quicker than an eviction on your record. Most landlords have a criteria that includes - no evictions, and that's perfectly legal. They easily run an eviction check through the credit bureau website. It just lists eviction filings. Even if you ended up winning, if you ever had an eviction procedure filed with a court, it will often end up in that database, and most landlords won't rent to you.

So, broken record here - pay the rent/mortgage first. Always. Anything else can be dealt with in some way, including bankruptcy, that you can survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Look for someone advertising for a roommate, or to rent a room in someone's house, or look into a weekly or monthly rate at the local motel/hotel. Or look for a short-term rent place for those in transit. What about near a college, college students always need multiple roommates.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I like the amends part
Get square with current landlord
Burning landlords for rent and trashing the place predicts future behavior

Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM

430 posts, read 335,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I like the amends part
Get square with current landlord
Burning landlords for rent and trashing the place predicts future behavior
PAUSE. What? Who said I trashed the place, let alone do that in the first place? I've NEVER left a place messy, I was raised to make it look better than I rented it and intend on doing that even if I'm evicted out. This includes my own bedroom as a child.

The only time I've ever ****ed up a place was my old place and that was purely accidental. Basically I got my TV mounted and they used a pipe to hide the wires, while taping it to the wall. I didn't know the drywall would come off with it and stayed up until 3am doing a DIY fix. It was a lot better when I was done, but the LL was grateful at my attempts to fix it and just charged me $75 to get it sanded and painted over since I did a decent job at fixing it myself. This I immediately pointed out during my checkout. Otherwise I was charged a total $125 when I moved, $75 for the wall and $50 for a deep clean for my stove. The rest was spotless and him, along with my neighbors who helped me pack, were impressed by the cleanliness.

I NEVER leave a messy place and am more appalled you assumed that than the rest.

I also don't know what you meant by "burning landlords for rent" but I also prefer to pay them, obviously, as it makes me look like a ****ty person and that's not an image I want to carry with me.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Look for someone advertising for a roommate, or to rent a room in someone's house, or look into a weekly or monthly rate at the local motel/hotel. Or look for a short-term rent place for those in transit. What about near a college, college students always need multiple roommates.
Thankfully I am located near a few colleges, including the U of M. It won't be ideal, but I'll take whatever I get. They seem to usually deal with less than ideal people, so maybe I'll get lucky. I'll fit in age wise, I'm only 21.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
When you said you couldn't pay rent because you didn't have enough money left over after paying other bills, I realized you have your priorities messed up. Rent always comes first. Housing comes first. Always. Then, you pay utilities, if you have to, you go to a food bank for food. If you have a car payment, you need to get rid of that car, and buy one with cash that's cheaper.

But, first and foremost, youa pay housing. Then electricity/gas. Then, bills from there.

If your debt is out of your hands, you can file bankruptcy to start over. You can file yourself, and if you are low income, you can even get the fees waived for filing bankruptcy. I had to file a few years ago, and all it cost was the priority mail envelope to mail the paperwork to the court.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...r-7-bankruptcy

But, a landlord can forgive a Chapter 7 bankruptcy far quicker than an eviction on your record. Most landlords have a criteria that includes - no evictions, and that's perfectly legal. They easily run an eviction check through the credit bureau website. It just lists eviction filings. Even if you ended up winning, if you ever had an eviction procedure filed with a court, it will often end up in that database, and most landlords won't rent to you.

So, broken record here - pay the rent/mortgage first. Always. Anything else can be dealt with in some way, including bankruptcy, that you can survive.
Under any other circumstances I'd agree with you, but there are some bills I simply can't ignore. In my case, if I pay the rent above all else I won't have a job anymore. Due to what my job demands, I need to be able to drive and use a phone. As a manager, I NEED to be able to be reached and do a drivers work for them when they can't, for whatever reason. I'm trying to prove I'm good enough to be GM, and make WAY MORE, and right now I'm told I'm the best qualified person so far, I just need to learn more before I apply.

Now if I paid my rent out and ignored the rest, getting rid of my car and phone, not only can I not work there at all but I'm unreachable by many prospective employees since almost everyone calls for interviews nowadays, or does "phone" interviews.

Regardless my whole situation is screwy cause if I don't pay it, obviously that's bad, but if I do pay it, I'm digging myself into a hole and risking a lot for a potential repeat situation, except that time I risk losing it all.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Your best bet is to try and make amends with your LL. Doesn’t sound possible. I’m not going to waste time telling you why you should not of gotten to this position with your LL.

Otherwise you’ll need to explain your situation to a LL before you apply. Or hope you find a LL who performs no background checks and doesn’t care as long as you pay rent. He most likely deals specifically with people who had/have financial issues. Expect month to month tenancy and astronomical rent payment along with possibility of a rental that isn’t in the best physical shape.

What I am curious is if you are counting on the OT to pay the rent what is your plan if the OT is cut back or completely removed as a option?
I hate the OT part as much as the next person, though I'm taking it for a variety of reasons. First is obvious, fat paychecks. Second is because we're still getting our footing and all OMs have to work a lot, I just happen to be the only one who does 10-12hr shifts without a problem. Third is because we still need a GM and, when I talked to my manager about it, he said so far I'm the best qualified candidate but I need to learn more. So, reason #4, it gives me the chance to learn a LOT more and make myself look even better qualified for the position.

Finally, I hate getting into this situation my damn self. I need all my rental history to look peachy now since I'm young and don't have cosigner options. Though I'll attempt to talk with this guy again early tomorrow and see what he says. Hopefully I get lucky, I'll stay optimistic for the sake of my mental health.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 AM

6 posts, read 4,199 times
I have recently gotten out of this situation myself (quite literally yesterday) my landlord would file eviction on 6th, was late Jan 15, Feb 16 and Jan 18. I decided to move after 7 years. He never closed 2015, so it was kicking back housing debt. I finally found a townhouse after being homeless for 6 months. Before you go to court you can apply to apartments bc technically you haven’t been evicted (or filed on yet how it sounds?) find one that has free app fee and just give it a shot. My place isn’t ideal, I had a hone for 7 years with yardage and animals and 1600sqft. However I like my new place, I’m around college kids (rather be here than th “hood”) so it’s possible!!!! But make a move quick if you can’t rexonc with LL. Private LLs seem more difficult than say B-B+ type apartment properties. Good luck and my heart goes out to you.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
Move out now, before the eviction.

Sell the car and buy a cheaper one.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Move out now, before the eviction.

Sell the car and buy a cheaper one.
The cars financed, so ill still owe quite a bit. Plus its damaged from a jackass running a stop sign a few months back. Since its still driveable, I never got the body work done on it and only got the mechanical issues fixed. But this means I'll get even less for selling it, leaving me carless and, again, OUT OF A JOB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting