Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 6,677 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I moved in this apartment few months ago.The landlord was being extra nice at begginig we made a contract which says he can come once a month,we need to pay on time and keep it clean. But after few days he started coming in our home without calling first every 2 weeks. My boyfriend is from Pakistan and the landlord has problems with it.He knew from start everything about us but once our friend stayed over for a night and he came at that time and saw her.Becouse she is Romanian he is starting to acuse my boyfriend for human traficking calling us liars and all kinda of stuff. He never said we cant have guests over which I asked for sure he said its no problem but now its problem for him even if someone comes for coffee. He keeps calling and saying something avout how we keep chinese people in our home,since my bff is chinese(yes we are very mixed group of friends). Anyway the apartment is always clean,we make apsolutely no problems, we pay rent and bills on time but he still threatnes to envict us.I dont know what to do anymore and is there actually legal possiblity for him to do this? Just becouse he doesnt like us? Im not in a situation to look for another apartment and honestly its so hard to move and we are staying here only a year anyway so i would really like someones advice since we really did nothing wrong but he cant understand this,we even made my boyfriend a resident of this country which was the landlords request even tho he was able to stay here on italian visa.Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Spam? Your boyfriend is Pakistanian, Chinese, on an Italian visa. Can't believe this is real.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Spam? Your boyfriend is Pakistanian, Chinese, on an Italian visa. Can't believe this is real.
The “bff” is Chinese.

Bff = best friend forever

Lol

Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Like the person before me said my best friend is a chinese girl and this is not a spam i know it sounds crazy but i worked in a hostel for long time and made friends from many countries who lived there all year long,including my boyfriend

Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Did you sign a lease? What are the terms?

If you didn't sign a lease, then you are a month to month tenant and he can ask you to leave given your state's laws regarding notice (usually 30 or 60 days) for ANY reason. This would not be an eviction, but you would have to get out.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Did you sign a lease? What are the terms?

If you didn't sign a lease, then you are a month to month tenant and he can ask you to leave given your state's laws regarding notice (usually 30 or 60 days) for ANY reason. This would not be an eviction, but you would have to get out.
We signed a one year contract in which say we have a right to breakt he contract(both sides) if the following rules are not followed:
Paying on time the right amount of money
Paying our bills everymonth
Letting the landlord visit once a month
We cant rent or subrent to anyone else(which i dont think should apply to friends staying over for a night)
And that the owner is not allowed to use the apartment while we live here
We need to keep it in good condition

We clean alot, always pay on time and offourse are not renting to anyone, we practicaly only sleep here and have ocasional guest for some movie time or something

I dont know what to do about him anymore im honstly scared to asnwer the phone when i see his mame on it becouse i dont know what will be next thing he will acuse us of.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Landlord is wrong for what he's doing about your visitors. You are abiding by the lease and he should not be doing those things.

Not sure what city/state you are in. Some cities or counties or states have agencies which help tenants in these landlord tenant situations.

Else you can contact a real estate attorney in your area for advice. They would charge for consulting fee but can give advice on dealing with this landlord. I would start by ignoring his phone calls. There's no rule that says you have to answer his calls or return his calls. But an attorney can help.

He's supposed to give you what's called Quiet Enjoyment of the premises. This means landlord doesn't harass the tenant as long as tenant is abiding by the lease. He's harassing you and he's wrong.

Does your job benefit have Employee Assistance Program as a benefit? Some employers give this for free and you can call a toll free number or access a web site with help on various subjects. Sometimes they give short free attorney consultations with these programs and other times they don't. If you don't have this benefit from work you can still hire an attorney for a consultation. Ask the attorney up front what they charge to discuss the matter with you.Maybe it's 1/2 hr fee you pay them. Maybe the attorney can write a letter to the landlord telling him he's not following the lease. You would pay the attorney to do this too. Or the attorney tells you how to handle(such as ignore landlord, tell the landlord he can't visit more than once per month, etc).

Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
All - Further review shows the OP currently lives in Croatia.

OP - We are mostly US based. It's unlikely that any of us know Croatia rental laws.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Landlord is wrong for what he's doing about your visitors. You are abiding by the lease and he should not be doing those things.

Not sure what city/state you are in. Some cities or counties or states have agencies which help tenants in these landlord tenant situations.

Else you can contact a real estate attorney in your area for advice. They would charge for consulting fee but can give advice on dealing with this landlord. I would start by ignoring his phone calls. There's no rule that says you have to answer his calls or return his calls. But an attorney can help.

He's supposed to give you what's called Quiet Enjoyment of the premises. This means landlord doesn't harass the tenant as long as tenant is abiding by the lease. He's harassing you and he's wrong.

Does your job benefit have Employee Assistance Program as a benefit? Some employers give this for free and you can call a toll free number or access a web site with help on various subjects. Sometimes they give short free attorney consultations with these programs and other times they don't. If you don't have this benefit from work you can still hire an attorney for a consultation. Ask the attorney up front what they charge to discuss the matter with you.Maybe it's 1/2 hr fee you pay them. Maybe the attorney can write a letter to the landlord telling him he's not following the lease. You would pay the attorney to do this too. Or the attorney tells you how to handle(such as ignore landlord, tell the landlord he can't visit more than once per month, etc).

Thank you, even tho im not from USA i believe you advice will be helpfull since we have these things you mentioned,you can imagine how it is if he has time and energy to drive 2 hours from another city just to come and visit that often...and he is 60 years old

Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
we even made my boyfriend a resident of this country which was the landlords request even tho he was able to stay here on italian visa.Please help
How does one do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting