Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

You sure do discriminate. Against Elderly Handicap & Vets... which mostly make up folks on Section 8. You Discriminate against folks that Lost their jobs thru Companies Moving Folks that ended up in loosing their homes...do to the change in income. There are a World of ways for people to need Section 8 ... One day you too will be the BUM as you call them needing a roof over you head.... Karma is a B*tch Keep that in mind next time You turn some one away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You sure do discriminate. Against Elderly Handicap & Vets... which mostly make up folks on Section 8. You Discriminate against folks that Lost their jobs thru Companies Moving Folks that ended up in loosing their homes...do to the change in income. There are a World of ways for people to need Section 8 ... One day you too will be the BUM as you call them needing a roof over you head.... Karma is a B*tch Keep that in mind next time You turn some one away.
This is a crock.

Not renting to Section 8 is just a business decision. They’re higher risk than a standard tenant.

It’s called making smart decisions, so you don’t end up a bum.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM

486 posts, read 416,252 times
But it's not discrimination because the whole of Section 8 recipients are not all black, or elderly, or female, etc. That's no different than discriminating against people who don't make enough to qualify for your unit. People who don't make enough to qualify aren't a protected because although the group includes various protected classes, the group as a whole is not a protected class.

'Section 8 Recipient' is not a class protected against discrimination.

A law specifying that landlords can't say no to Section 8 is different.

Keep normal screening requirements including income and credit. That will avoid all problems. This is common sense whether we are talking about Section 8 or not.

You can't discriminate against a source of income, but you can require the income in the first place. If you require 3x the monthly rent in income, then anyone who has Section 8 is out. Section 8 isn't income.

It isn't a landlord's duty to accept people who can't afford housing. If a landlord chooses to allow them, that's great. But none are obligated to accept those tenants, especially if they don't meet the basic screening requirements that are applied to all applicants.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
On this whole Section 8 tenant thing, all one has to do is take all the applications, look them over, and then choose who would best be the tenant for the apartment. One does not have to reveal why. Even if the landlord disqualifies someone because they are a Section 8, they just need to keep quiet about it and pick the one they want. They can come up with 100 reasons why they picked who they picked. yes I know you cant discriminate, but if you could pick a valid reason why you rejected someone, the rejected people could not prove it.

So this seems too good to be true, what's wrong with this idea? Just pick and don't tell the others the reasons why - other than they picked someone else.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Why Katie1, you are sounding like me when I complain about no-pet rentals!

Seriously, another poster said Section 8 tenants are higher risk to the landlord.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM

486 posts, read 416,252 times
I think this is the way to go for ANY sort of selection process even if you aren't rejecting anyone for anything close to discriminatory reasons because even if you 100% base your decision on other factors, someone will still feel discriminated against simply because they are in a protected class and have that victim mentality and could still cause a huge problem for you even if things turn out in your favor in the end.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
On this whole Section 8 tenant thing, all one has to do is take all the applications, look them over, and then choose who would best be the tenant for the apartment. One does not have to reveal why. Even if the landlord disqualifies someone because they are a Section 8, they just need to keep quiet about it and pick the one they want. They can come up with 100 reasons why they picked who they picked. yes I know you cant discriminate, but if you could pick a valid reason why you rejected someone, the rejected people could not prove it.

So discrimination is OK, just don't get caught?

Just for arguments sake, would there ever be a case where it would be in a landlord's best interest to take a Section 8 over an applicant who is not?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Why Katie1, you are sounding like me when I complain about no-pet rentals!

Seriously, another poster said Section 8 tenants are higher risk to the landlord.
Well I been in my Current Apt for 10 years! The one before that 3-4 years. [My sons home 3+ years & My own home 20 Years!.. both due to health problems] BUT Thankfully my apt does NOT say No to Section 8. Not one section 8 tenant here has been Evicted or Forced to move! Every Eviction or Refusal to Renew the Leases have been Supposed Working Tenants Yep
Right now they are turning my apt into a Handicap apt Working on Handicap Parking...next they say going to change all the Kitchen cabinets & bathroom ...just talk not sure when it happen I didn't ask for it so I just & wait

As for Pets they are Allowed Certain breeds are Not the weight limit is 40# but you are allowed 2 dogs or 2 cats or 1 of each. Most apts in my area are Pet Friendly....

I am well aware that Section 8 tenants can be turned down ... & yes a few applicants here have been. BUT Not based on the stigma of having been approved for Section 8. People on or dealing Drugs Rapists any Crime that Federal & the list goes on. But saying No just cause of a piece of paper that Horrible. I wonder if these folks are Orphans Not having Family that Need the extra help. Mother Father Grandparent. Great aunt or Uncle. Or do they just Toss them into Nursing homes & let the Gov' pay their way so they don't have to deal with them. Sad & Cruel. BTW Not All Apt Pass the Inspections for Section 8 tenants! Slumlords don't... older buildings Don't!

After 3 Winters of No Dependable heat they Replaced the Whole Furnace & A/C unit last week!!

Last edited by Katie1; 08-01-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So discrimination is OK, just don't get caught?

Just for arguments sake, would there ever be a case where it would be in a landlord's best interest to take a Section 8 over an applicant who is not?
Yes... Because 70% of what you charge in rent is automaticly deposit by Midnight the last day of each month! Tenants don't make up bull that needs done. O they will tell the LL but they wait patiently... no nagging. case in point I been waiting 2.5 years for this sidewalk to be updated... after wrecking the new scooter the VA gave me...

Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,775 times
Quote:
Yes... Because 70% of what you charge in rent is automaticly deposit by Midnight the last day of each month! Tenants don't make up bull that needs done. O they will tell the LL but they wait patiently... no nagging. case in point I been waiting 2.5 years for this sidewalk to be updated... after wrecking the new scooter the VA gave me...
Garbage. So I have to rent at a 30% discount?

Yeah Section 8 tenants are so patient. Bull.

That program is a benefit the same way that fat and lazy is a “disability” and a poorly trained dog trapped in a cage is a protected “Emotional Support Animal”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting