Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 898 times

Advertisements

Hi! I need help. My roommates and I moved out of our apartment this last spring. We paid a $2100 security deposit plus a $200 pet deposit, and we received $750 back. I’ll accept that the pet deposit was really a pet fee, but we took good care of the property and left it immaculate. We were charged $1350 to repaint. We tried to dispute it with her, but she wouldn’t budge (and she kept dropping hints that she was connected to the mob, and wasn’t going to give up that money with out a fight). So we caved and cashed the check, but it bounced! Is there any action we can take at this point to get that money back? I paid most of the deposit, so I’m the only one motivated to get the money returned. Can I do anything to get our deposit back, or did I just learn a $2100 lesson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 02:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,592,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younganddumb View Post
My roommates and I moved out of our apartment this last spring.
How long were you there?

Quote:
We paid a $2100 security deposit plus a $200 pet deposit, and we received $750 back.
We were charged $1350 to repaint.
Is there any action we can take at this point to get that money back?
In a word... no.

The time to have taken action was when you were moving out.
Things like condition photos and walk through inspections top the list.

Quote:
...or did I just learn a $2100 lesson?
Pretty much.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,567,150 times
What state are you in?

Old 08-07-2018, 02:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,815,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How long were you there?

In a word... no.

Pretty much.

Why wouldn’t they be entitled to sue for the return of the deposit?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Why wouldn’t they be entitled to sue for the return of the deposit?
It's not that they CAN'T sue... it's that they don't have any cause.
Or at least haven't described any cause.

Three young guys and a dog in a place for X years?
I'm surprised that all it would need is paint.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,198,214 times
Quote:
How long were you there?

In a word... no.

Pretty much.
Quote:
It's not that they CAN'T sue... it's that they don't have any cause.
Or at least haven't described any cause.

Three young guys and a dog in a place for X years?
I'm surprised that all it would need is paint.
I don't have time today but since the OP is likely a 1 post wonder after seeing this I've got to say this is complete crap. Hopefully someone comes back in here and clears this garbage up but there is a case to argue here and the OP should do it.

Paint depreciation, when it was painted previously, and the damage that caused it to be repainted all need to be proven by the LL not the tenant. And there's a bad check, take that to your state attorney general.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,815,077 times
OP may be entitled to 3x’s the security deposit...plus interest and costs. $6300.00 is not chump change and has the right to sue for the deposit plus statutory penalties. OP should also pay a visit to the local district attorneys office and see what the options are for filing a criminal complaint regarding the bounced check. Security deposits in California are governed by Civil Code §1950.5. The statute of limitations begins to run when the claim “accrues.” In security deposit cases, the claim accrues on the 22nd day after you move out because the landlord has 21 days to refund.

There is a two-year statute of limitation on claims for the breach of an oral contract. If you do not have a lease or written agreement with your roommate or landlord, your claim may already be going down the drain. Speak to a lawyer immediately and/or file it!

Generally, one has three years to sue for a liability created by statute which could include security deposit actions since they are governed by specific statute like Civil Code §1950.5. It is unlikely that a court would find that this could apply to an oral lease because any action on the lease would be barred after two years. On the other hand, the statute of limitation for a written lease is four years.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:03 PM

mea culpa... I missed the bad check issue in the WOT.
That really does put a very different spin on ALL that the LL has done here.

But even here, asking them to remedy the bad check for the $750 comes first.
Have you done anything on that?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,711,076 times
Small Claims Court is not a court of law but a court of Justice. This means that judges look at all circumstances and are not bound by the written word of the law.

Get your documents together, organize your thoughts and pay the apprx $35 to file a Small Claims Court case. You may have a good shot.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM

486 posts, read 411,016 times
You definitely have the right to go after the full deposit plus the pet deposit (at least in Virginia, if the landlord calls it a deposit, it has to be refunded except for legitimate damage, if they want to keep it, they should have called it a fee).

We never charge for painting, that's a normal cost of turnover (although, we would if it was painted right before they went in and the damage wasn't just normal wear and tear).

I don't know what threats they were making. If they were vague, there may not be much you can do about that (although, I would still let your attorney or whoever you talk to about this know about it).

The reality is that you have to decide if the costs, time, and headache are worth it. You may decide yes, but even if you win, you could still face a battle to actually get the money owed to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting