Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,133 times

Advertisements

After a painful two months of searching for an apartment in the Bellingham, Washington area, I have finally found someone willing to give me a room after his roommate moves out next month. Now the only thing left is to go through the application process from the rental company that manages the apartment. The trouble arises in the form of me only having 770 dollars from ssi as my sole source of income and the management company having the standard income must be 3x of income(collectively in this case) rule. Another thing I have going against me is the loan of 1.3k I have on my bank account.

My question is would offering a higher deposit, saying I have a cosigner ready, my current landlord being a good terms with me, and the loan I have being in good standing increase the odds of my rental application being accepted? I can also pass a background/credit check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
How much is the monthly rent?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 PM

800 which will be divided between myself and my roommate. Plus around 75 each month for utilities.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You are light on income. Your half of the rent is more than 50% of your income. If you have a good qualified cosigner that might help. Some landlords accept cosigners and some don't. All you can do is ask.

Extra deposit often helps. Good landlord references help.

I'd be surprised if your loan is going to make a difference as long as it doesn't show late payments.

Seriously. You have a portable income and you are trying to live in a very expensive area. Take your guaranteed income and move to someplace where the cost of living is much lower. Do some research and figure out which of the states don't have waiting lists for hud housing and get some subsidized housing.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
When on SSI or SSD You are eligible for 55+ housing apts Even if you are not yet 55... These & other HUD apts go by your income all your rent is 30% of your income & utilities

Old 08-12-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are light on income. Your half of the rent is more than 50% of your income. If you have a good qualified cosigner that might help. Some landlords accept cosigners and some don't. All you can do is ask.

Extra deposit often helps. Good landlord references help.

I'd be surprised if your loan is going to make a difference as long as it doesn't show late payments.

Seriously. You have a portable income and you are trying to live in a very expensive area. Take your guaranteed income and move to someplace where the cost of living is much lower. Do some research and figure out which of the states don't have waiting lists for hud housing and get some subsidized housing.
From reading their site, Chuckanut property management's does require a cosigner for students such as myself. The family member who has agreed to be the cosigner tells me he does have a good credit score.

to be honest with you, the only reason I came to Bellingham in the first place is because I was living with my parents when we moved here. the reason I continue to stay here is because my family is near by, my main mode transportation is my bicycle and the bus system here, and I'm working on getting a degree from the local community college. If I had the chance I would totally just pack up and leave this town. Finding a cheap place to rent is getting harder and harder around here.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstrom View Post
...only having 770 dollars from ssi as my sole source of income
...loan of 1.3k I have on my bank account.

My question is ...
If you had ZERO rent and ZERO utility obligation...
you still don't have enough for everything else.

You need and should qualify for subsidized housing.
Next up is family or friends willing to take you in.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstrom View Post
800 which will be divided between myself and my roommate. Plus around 75 each month for utilities.
If you only bring in $750 a month, how are you going to pay for rent, utilities and everything you need? (food, paper goods, etc)

And you have a loan on top of all of that....where is the extra money going to come from to keep you afloat?

You need to look into subsidized housing that has a sliding scale.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Oh, sorry! I've I should have been more clear. The rent for myself would be 800 divided evenly between myself and the other roommate. Since I make so little, I'm on ebt. I do not have a car, so I don't have to worry about gas or repairs. At most I've only spend about 30 bucks each month for soap, cleaning supplies, toilet paper etc.

I've already checked in about hud and housing, but they are full. The waitlists are full too.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
Does the Social Security Administration know that you’re in school? The fact that you’re able to take classes and are able to ride your bike for transportation means you have some physical, intellectual, and emotional capacity. Perhaps you’re taking classes through some SSA program or something, which would be great if they have that.

To answer your question, the things you mention may help, but I would think most management companies would want to see more income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting