Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:12 AM

430 posts, read 335,024 times

Advertisements

So I am at my point with this apartment and, after finding out the landlord was and is aware, really want out. Theres a few things he's aware are broken and WONT fix, despite multiple calls, messages, and conversations about this ****. There's mice and they knew there were and didn't disclose this to me. There used to be, what looks like at least, roaches and this was also not disclosed. Tried to charge me for utilities twice, even though I paid (have proof). Wouldn't accept my rent unless I got renters insurance, conveniently never brought it up though and I saw him three times after he gave me said notice. Talked to neighbors and realized all of the things that I deal with are non-issues for them too, especially the eviction issue last month. He won't fix ****, won't repaint the tub, won't replace my door like he was supposed to have done in JUNE, and literally won't do jack **** but stare at me silently when I come home from work (overnights so I'm home by 6:30 at the latest) and not answer the phone when I call and need things done. I even stayed home on my off days, called about a repair on Friday, and was blatantly lied to and told they came in on Monday and fixed my sink. I said they must be silent and invisible because I was home all of Monday and Tuesday and saw no one. "Oh my bad, must have gotten you mistaken with another resident.", which made no sense since I had to verify my full address so he gave me the right info -_-.

Now had I known I could have left during the eviction process, as I was told last month, I would've left. But I didn't know and here we are and I want out because I can't do this extreme level of incompetency and bull****. So I want to know if there's anyway I can bounce early (besides paying him off I already know that method) because the lease ends in May and I don't know if I could make it until then. I already know I'll go through hell because of the eviction but I have connections who know landlords who rent to people with evictions and they seem cool, or if I'm lucky I can snag a place with my old landlord who does the same and is super chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
You can break your lease for whatever reason you want. Read your lease, see what it says about early termination, and follow it to a T. If your lease does not have anything regarding early termination in it, then refer to your state landlord tenant laws.

Now, just because you can break your lease doesn’t mean you’ll be able to break your lease without paying a penalty of some sort. I suggest you try and work something out with your landlord to get out

Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Are you still being evicted for none payment of rent? If so, what is stopping you from leaving?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Are you still being evicted for none payment of rent? If so, what is stopping you from leaving?
Probably because he has no place to go and he’s hoping his old LL will take him back? Since OP is being evicted it makes no difference to him if he stays. He’s not gonna leave any earlier than he has to.

You’re gonna have a hard time finding a place to live with a fresh eviction.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Probably because he has no place to go and he’s hoping his old LL will take him back? Since OP is being evicted it makes no difference to him if he stays. He’s not gonna leave any earlier than he has to.

You’re gonna have a hard time finding a place to live with a fresh eviction.
Well, according to him, he has connections and he can find a landlord who takes tenants with evictions.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 AM

268 posts, read 271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Well, according to him, he has connections and he can find a landlord who takes tenants with evictions.
I know someone who said the same thing. After 3 months of living in cheap hotels because he couldn't find a rental, he's now homeless.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM

430 posts, read 335,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Assuming gets people nowhere, thank you for actually asking. I was being evicted last month but, since I didnt know I could technically leave, I already paid the balance owed, went to court, and still live here. I was under the impression that leaving would be illegal, dont judge me just understand I was obviously never in this situation and didnt know what my options were.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Paying what you Owed is Better for you than an eviction on your record. When does the lease end? Are you Month to Month...if so then find a place to move to then give current LL 30 days notice...yes you have to pay for the 30 days.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Great. Everyone has “connections” until the rubber meets the road. Most LLs don’t like dealing with people with evictions. If they do they charge accordingly for the risk.

Op could of handled the situation a lot better. I would have a lot more sympathy if the tenant was paying and the LL was a craphead who just didn’t care. There are ways to get out of such situation. Legally with no eviction on your record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Assuming gets people nowhere, thank you for actually asking. I was being evicted last month but, since I didnt know I could technically leave, I already paid the balance owed, went to court, and still live here. I was under the impression that leaving would be illegal, dont judge me just understand I was obviously never in this situation and didnt know what my options were.
Normally a eviction is way way past the notice(s) period. When it gets that far into the process you really went well beyond any notices or negotiation scenario.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Well, then, as long as rentals are secured for the rest of your life after you are evicted, stop paying the rent. You'll be evicted and you can leave.

You'll have an eviction on your civil record, a judgement on your credit report, and possibly a wage garnishent. But since that doesn't bother you, there's your get out of the rental card.

The landlord won't paint the bathtub? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting