Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I think that fraying carpet where the closet door goes over it would be because of improper fit of the door, and that is THEIR problem! It sounds as if when they installed the new carpet, they needed to have shaved a bit off the bottom of the door.

A tenant could rip or stain a carpet. But if it frays where a door has to open and close over it, that's an installation issue, and that's the LL's problem, not caused by you.
True, however the tenant should have alerted the landlord of the issue beforehand. Not altering the landlord becomes negligence on the tenants part and could be considered damage. It's not you wouldn't see it every time you opened and closed the door or ran your vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash319 View Post
About a month ago the fiance and I moved from our one bedroom into a two bedroom apartment to make sure we had room for our soon to be newborn daughter. Last night I got a letter from the complex stating that we owe $1,000 for damages in our last apartment and that it is due in 10 days. There was some fraying on the carpet in the bedroom closet, right where the door shut and towards the corner a bit.

They sent me an itemized list and stated that the carpet in the entire apartment needed to be replaced. There were no other tears, stains, holes, or anything else. We even vacuumed and steam cleaned all of the carpet before turning our keys in. Should I question the complex as to why I'm being charged for all new carpet? The landlord did not do a move out assessment with me and there really isn't any way we can come up with $1,000 in less than two weeks.

I am more than happy to pay the complex, but I don't believe we should be charged for the entire apartment to be re-carpeted when it was just some frayed carpet in the bedroom closet. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Any suggestions would be wonderful.
F that OP.
I would refuse.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:56 PM

453 posts, read 410,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
True, however the tenant should have alerted the landlord of the issue beforehand. Not altering the landlord becomes negligence on the tenants part and could be considered damage. It's not you wouldn't see it every time you opened and closed the door or ran your vacuum.
Eh, I’m not so sure. If the fray is in the corner where the door pivots, I’m not sure I’d notice it.

It’s also not my job as a tenant to inspect an apartment for questionable workmanship. That’s for the LL and their contractor to hash out.

Expecting a tenant to notice every little imperfection is a little much.

I’d fight this if I was the OP. Fraying carpet under a closet door is not damage. Sounds like the LL is trying to pull a fast one

Old 08-27-2018, 09:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash319 View Post
About a month ago the fiance and I moved from our one bedroom into a two bedroom apartment to make sure we had room for our soon to be newborn daughter. Last night I got a letter from the complex stating that we owe $1,000 for damages in our last apartment and that it is due in 10 days. There was some fraying on the carpet in the bedroom closet, right where the door shut and towards the corner a bit.

They sent me an itemized list and stated that the carpet in the entire apartment needed to be replaced. There were no other tears, stains, holes, or anything else. We even vacuumed and steam cleaned all of the carpet before turning our keys in. Should I question the complex as to why I'm being charged for all new carpet? The landlord did not do a move out assessment with me and there really isn't any way we can come up with $1,000 in less than two weeks.

I am more than happy to pay the complex, but I don't believe we should be charged for the entire apartment to be re-carpeted when it was just some frayed carpet in the bedroom closet. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Carpet needs to be prorated when it’s a damage chargeback to tenant. I believe the IRS tends to have a 5 or 9 year depending on general or alternative depreciation. So unless the carpet is new they cannot charge you the full replacement amount. The area where the carpet frayed doesn’t sound like a high traffic area.
So how old is the carpet and did you notify the manager the carpet is getting frayed. Was the door catching the carpet edge or something? Is this a slider or swing door?

If it’s a swing door it sounds like the door wasn’t clipped enough and it catches the carpet. If it’s a slider I d8nt see how it catches as they usually have good clearance or are on a metal track on bottom with a wheeled guide on top.

If the damage was due to a tight fit and you just opened and closed the door that’s wear and tear. I had a rental where the front door rubbed the carpet because the carpet was thicker than the previous carpet. I had to clip the door about 3/16

Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
Eh, I’m not so sure. If the fray is in the corner where the door pivots, I’m not sure I’d notice it.

It’s also not my job as a tenant to inspect an apartment for questionable workmanship. That’s for the LL and their contractor to hash out.

Expecting a tenant to notice every little imperfection is a little much.

I’d fight this if I was the OP. Fraying carpet under a closet door is not damage. Sounds like the LL is trying to pull a fast one
You wouldn't notice the carpet fraying? Don't you run your vacuum cleaner? Don't use the tools to clean the carpet edge and baseboard?

And yes, it is your responsibility to inspect for your unit for damage or wear and tear that needs attention from your landlord.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
Sometimes you can look up the complex or mgt company online....various social media...and find a list of complaints about them. Could give perspective.

For future reference, inspection with mgt, video it with sound. See if the rep will sign off on the inspection at the end of the inspection.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:50 PM

453 posts, read 410,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You wouldn't notice the carpet fraying? Don't you run your vacuum cleaner? Don't use the tools to clean the carpet edge and baseboard?

And yes, it is your responsibility to inspect for your unit for damage or wear and tear that needs attention from your landlord.
I would personally probably notice, but I can easily see how most people would not.

How far do you take the second part? Should I be pulling out appliances and combing every inch?

We have a poorly designed closet in our upstairs bathroom. The closet is narrow and only the right side is accessible. The carpet wasn’t secured in the far end, which can’t be accessed due to shelves and other barriers. How many people will notice the carpet in the far end of a poorly functioning closet isn’t entirely secured?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting