Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 PM

454 posts, read 449,189 times

Advertisements

Hey all got a question. I have a family member in New York City that wants to a rent an apartment with a friend and thus rent a small 2 bedroom apartment. The location is in Manhattan. The thing is they told me the realtor was going to meet them up but when they called, they said they were busy. This was twice. However, they told me they did give them the pin number or what not to open the door to the building. That apartment however, is basically open the whole time so anyone that is interested could sort of look inside it etc. They told me that they paid a small security deposit so they could lock the place. It was a bit under 700 dollars and they said they did it in a money order and it was to x company etc. They already paid this. They said now the realtor wants their information for a credit check and want them to submit the information to the closingdocs. I checked online and apparently its a tool for the landlord to check someones credit before they approve or deny someone.

They said they only giving them a short time to submit that information in... otherwise... they would keep the deposit. First off, is this normal? They said that after they submit the information, if they approve of it, then they have to pay the first month deposit and security etc which is a good amount of money. If its denied, they get back that small deposit. The thing here is they told me they spoke to this person on the phone and earlier they barely answered phone calls. But after they paid the small deposit, they do answer the phone call. One explanation for this might be they don't make that much money from this property so thats why? Or is that not good reason. Such as they only meet ppl who pay a lot per month per rent? They said if they are approved, they would have to pay by money order to check and to bring it to the actual office. I googled the name of the company and its seems real as its on yelp reviews. The problem though is very bad reviews about this company... said its one of the worst and they don't fix issues etc.

So based on this, is there a chance this is a scam or not possible? They paid by money order and the money order is the name of that company. It isn't to a person. So based on that, does that mean its legit? The website looks legit but again, it could be fake and the person on the phone could be not that person on the site? Because i recall money order is as good as cash. But if you write it to x company, well that person can't take the money right? They told me they have to submit the financial information tomorrow to that realtor... otherwise they take that small deposit. The thing is they require social security number and all the income financial information... but is that normal? I believe it is but not sure 100 percent because could it be identify fraud? However, the thing is... i mean you have to see that realtor in person right before you pay them or submit information... do you all agree on this? I'm shocked that they paid a money order to that person/company without actually meeting them in person. They also said if they are approved, they have to pay the deposit and rent and bring it to that company's office at x location. So if that location is that company name, then its legit right? Again with me if i did this, i definitely would need to meet his agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Sounds pretty normal to me. That's how things work here. I appreciate your caution. Is there an actual property management office they could visit just to be reassured?

I assume the reason they are writing a money order is because they don't have a checking account or credit card?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Hi there. Well i was told about this just recently. Well there has to be actual property management office because my family member said if they approve it, they will go there and drop the check or money order there.

I do not know the reason why they wanted a money order. I asked why didn't they pay in check and i think that person said money order. So when i heard money order, i thought fraud.

But is it normal to not meet the realtor? That is the main issue here.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:18 PM

We been in New York City for a long time. The thing is one of our family members want to move to their own apartment. So they checked online and looked for apartments. That realtor didn't even respond much at all until they paid the deposit to hold the apartment.

The thing is, is it even normal to not the realtor at all? I never heard of anything like this.

This is what they tell me. They had them buy a money order and it was for x company. They called to meet up the realtor... the realtor mentioned they were busy and said go to this office and slip the money order under the door etc. They said that place is that company because it does have the name of it at that location so we are positive that is legit. So now they have to fill in the information at www.closingdocs.com. There is also a fee for this. They said if they are approved, then they pay deposit and 1st month. After this, they would go to that apartment building and get the keys from the super. So they do not meet the realtor at all. Have anyone heard of anything like this? The other thing they said was if application is not approved, they get back their deposit. But the thing is this. When i googled yelp and this person, i saw lot of negative reviews where they said this realtor doesn't even contact them back after they gave them the deposits.

So this is what i want to know. If they write a check for the security deposit and 1st month which is a lot of money for them, and the check goes out to x company. I will just make up a name and let say its called Joe Reality Management. If you write the check to joe reality management, only joe reality management can cash it right? Thus only the legit real company? I thought what if someone's company was like joe reality management company. Could they just add the last word company and now cash it themselves? You say anyone can make up a company... but doesn't that company have to be that name though in order to cash it?

The other thing that is concerning is reading the yelp reviews, lot of ppl say this company is very bad.

Also someone mentioned how they don't even response to you after you pay the deposits. Can someone explain why would any realtor do this? They take your money and don't reply back? Couldn't you just go to their office and demand to talk to them etc?

Does anyone here think its possible though this is a scam where that realtor is not even that person? That person did not meet them one time. First time they said they can't make it but here is the number to buzz in to get in building. The next time they said they were busy.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Long post I'm trying to sort through.

It sounds as though biggest concerns the possibility of scam, paying with money orders, unanswered phone calls, and poor maintenance on units.

I cant advise you on whether this could be a scam. Take precautions to protect yourself. You've already got the heads up on Yelp maintenance requests are unmet. Always know policies. Ask will this or that fee be returned in the event of being turned down as a tenant.

Application fees every where normal business

First month rent and security deposit paid by money orders at the time of lease signing typical for rental businesses.

When paying rent with money orders in busy or poorly run offices payments can be misplaced. Keep receipts.

Become familiar with NYC Landlord / Tenant laws. Know your rights as a tenant and read the lease.

Maintenance requests through emails with a copies proof you've brought an issue to their attention. Having the name of who handles maintenance issues to direct an email can save problems in the long run.

Take photos with date on your phone to document problems in the unit before move-in. Address those problems by mail or email and keep a copy as well.
Otherwise on move out security deposits monies are charged with deductions.

Good Luck!

Last edited by virgode; 09-25-2018 at 02:03 AM..

Old 09-25-2018, 02:57 AM

Contact these two and ask if complaints filed

Better Business Bureau

Contact City's Attorney Generals office / Housing

File a Complaint NY Attorney General
Housing Issues
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...14t_nJtH8_zHSR

Better Business Bureau New York, NY
Includes Business Scams
https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/ge...ow-us/contact/ /

Landlord /Tenants Code NY & NYC
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ztlL60tOQnJ6EW

Security Deposits Rent Guidlines NYC
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bBfPE5gL9Szbxd

Code Enforcement NYC
No Heat- Plumbing - Any Unaddressed Maintenance that Breaks Code / PDF
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...aX3c4YfL7xfWDn

Last edited by virgode; 09-25-2018 at 03:07 AM..

Old 09-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Hi there would like a response on this as i found out more information.

So they went to the apartment building to ask the people in that building to take a look to see if anyone there know of that realtor. They met a person who said they know about that realtor. Then they met the super who works there... the super told them yes that person does do the rentals here. Also they asked why that person never responds or takes a while to respond and the super told them that realtor is very busy and that is the reason. They also asked another person in the building who they paid the rent to and that person said yes that is the person they write the check to every month for the rent. Also the super gave them the phone number they have for that realtor and it was the same one they used to contact the realtor.

So based on this information, does this mean its pretty much close to 100% legit then? Because one assumption i had was maybe that person is very busy and the super mentioned that was the reason.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:47 AM

Again no guarentees. But imo residents are good sources of information.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:37 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Scammers typically won't talk on the phone and don't have the code to access the building. They usually stick entirely with email or texts. Not 100%, but the fact that they have spoken on the phone leads me toward legit.

As to your earlier question, if the money order is made to Joe Realty Management (there is no I in Realty), then Joe Smith can't directly cash it. However, if he has an account in Joe Realty Managment's name, he can deposit the money order and then withdraw funds, which accomplishes basically the same thing as cashing it, except it requires an actual bank account in that company's name, which requires paperwork for the bank showing that is a legitimate company with a Tax ID#, etc, which again, at least makes them less likely to be a scammer, but not 100% impossible.

I'd say, if this is a scammer, it is a better than average one. My guess, especially if the tenants sounded like they knew him, is that this is probably legit. Whether they are good landlords or not is an entirely different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting