Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM

122 posts, read 260,718 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are just plain tired and stressed.
We sold our house that we owned for over 10 years fast. The market was so high and our daughter is about to finish school and we planned on moving out of state after she did so we thought, sell while the market is up and rent for a year. Rentals are hard to find where we live so we secured one early. We had 3 days to move and my husband did it all himself and is so worn out still.

We sold a large 6 bed home and thinned out some stuff and packed up stuff we did not need for the next year. The rental house had a 3 car garage so we store our boxes in one garage stall and moved in just the basics. The house was a dream home, on top of a hill, views of the city with a pool and hot tub, something we could never afford to own so we were enjoying it as a year in a vacation type home.

When we moved in we checked the whole house, my husband saw a loose gutter and reported it. This home is in a upscale HOA (private gated) and they said they would have someone out within 48 hours. Just our luck, we live in the desert and it rains maybe once a month if that, and it have a flood of a storm that night, like roads closed bad. The ceiling near the gutter started to leak, The repairman fixed gutter that morning and tore out the ceiling and sprayed to make sure no mold would grow and we sealed off the bathroom and they said let it dry for 5 days and hey would fix. I thought random stuff happens, we have 2 other bathrooms, we can deal.

Then go to take our first shower and all the toilet started to bubble? over flow, just bubble with air. They went down after an hour. Then the master bath shower (not the one that was used earlier) started flooding into the house. It was a Sunday and no one answered for us, no property manager , no HOA, not even a private plumber would come out. We got the water to drain. They sent out a plumber 48 hours later. He said the sewer was collapsed by a tree. He could fix but he had to get approval. It took 3 days of no plumbing! but the plumber came out to fix. He found out that the rocks in the retaining wall is really what caused the sewer to collapse and enginering needs to come out. An engineer wont come out for over a week. The ceiling guy never came to fix the whole in the ceiling, after saying he would be here last week. He is promising Tuesday. The more important part is the plumbing. We can shower limited, and no flushing toilet paper. They said we can still run the dishwasher and washer.

My choices are stay in the dream rental, I believe the ceiling will be fixed within the week(least of my worries). Then the plumber said it will be a long haul to for the sewer since first the engineer has to make a plan and then the homeowner has to agree to pay and it will be very expensive. I did see the homeowner approved $8k for the orginal sewer fix that did not work, but with engineer I understand it is going to be 20k+. So the home has the ideal location, is quiet , has perfect internet , it is a smart home(which is hard to find in this area, many homes get 1.5-3m), but I cant flush toilet paper and we all cant shower everyday(the HOA has a gym and my husband has been showering there after workouts). I feel crazy for thinking of staying and waiting it out since it could be months? The plumber said it might be a long haul? Not sure what long haul is to him? he just said best case which is doubtful 1 week, worst case it may not be solved and they tear down the home!

I tried to call and see what right I have but there no local resources, the housing authority, the health department, the city, all say it is hire a lawyer or fend for yourself. Tenants have few rights. The property manager offered us the only other rental they have which is gross and smoke filled , in another school district( the main reason we stayed is my daughter is ranked #1 in her class is will most likely get a full scholarship because of this) and ads hours to our daily commutes. They mentioned they would look into a hotel but I cant imagine, living in a hotel with 2 teenagers and our lifestyle. One of my kids has severe epilepsy and needs their own room.

I have been begging for anyone to help with another rental. I called over 40 realtors, every property management company, put out ads, and nothing so far. The market for selling is so good, everyone seems to be selling off rentals or people have to stay in rentals since buying is out of reach. There are no apartments in the school district. If I did luck out and get one, can I make the property management pay for any of the move? the fees to re-hook everything up or for missed work or any other type of loss. If I do find another rental, I cant imagine it will be any less then a year lease and we plan to move in June so I will be out 2 months or rent. I guess we will be out over 7k for having to move between extra rent, moving loss work, and re-hooking up everything. The property management has admitted the renter before us did not let anyone in and these problems (and other I did not mention) were caused or not reported by him. Why did they rent it out without checking it 100% knowing the man did things like purposely broke the water softer because he hated it. The man that came to fix the ceiling admitted he tried to do a repair job at the house last year and was not allowed in.

My gut says what else could be wrong with the home? It is so sad because it is such a nice home. On a day like today our family is so happy, right now my youngest is swimming, my husband is watching the cubs stream in the movie room, my son is gaming in the office, and I am sitting in a huge (like 1000 sq foot master) looking over the city in a quiet neighborhood. If I do find any other rental in the school district it will be much smaller, much louder, have worse or no internet but it will have working plumbing! It is just hard to think of moving 3 times in a year. Our move next summer is going to be cross country , about 2500 miles so all my husband wanted to do was work and relax for the next nine months to gear up for the stressful move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:35 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Did you have renter's insurance? And I'd really consider a lawyer in absence of renter's insurance.
We have a prepaid legal insurance, nice to have in an emergency and for common legal questions that could be answered over the phone.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:46 PM

122 posts, read 260,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Did you have renter's insurance? And I'd really consider a lawyer in absence of renter's insurance.
We have a prepaid legal insurance, nice to have in an emergency and for common legal questions that could be answered over the phone.
Yes we have renter's insurance. I switched my homeowners to renters the day we moved out. Nothing was damaged (I threw away a few things in the bathroom but nothing of any real value)? What could renters policy help us with?

I do know a real state attorney(former neighbor) but it seems there is not much that can be done asap. The property management is willing to let us break the lease, the offered the only other rental they had. They were very slow IMO getting people out here but the outcome is still the same, the plumbing cant be fixed easily. I could certainly hire movers, and gather all my bills and try and sue? of course I still have not found a rental to even move into. Only one has come up in the last 10 days and it had over 40 applicants and the home had no internet. We put our name on the list, but internet is so important (our son with epilepsy cant drive, and he works a great job and goes to school online, without internet I don't know what he would do, he has worked so hard to get this job and he is so happy after years of medical issues). My list of wants is internet access, A/C (it is over 100 out still), plumbing! and the school district.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
You'll need to check your policy or minimally call on Tues.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
Yes we have renter's insurance. I switched my homeowners to renters the day we moved out. Nothing was damaged (I threw away a few things in the bathroom but nothing of any real value)? What could renters policy help us with?

I do know a real state attorney(former neighbor) but it seems there is not much that can be done asap. The property management is willing to let us break the lease, the offered the only other rental they had. They were very slow IMO getting people out here but the outcome is still the same, the plumbing cant be fixed easily. I could certainly hire movers, and gather all my bills and try and sue? of course I still have not found a rental to even move into. Only one has come up in the last 10 days and it had over 40 applicants and the home had no internet. We put our name on the list, but internet is so important (our son with epilepsy cant drive, and he works a great job and goes to school online, without internet I don't know what he would do, he has worked so hard to get this job and he is so happy after years of medical issues). My list of wants is internet access, A/C (it is over 100 out still), plumbing! and the school district.
Where do you live that internet access is such an issue? I know it can be in super-rural areas, but you said this rental overlooks a city?

Old 09-02-2018, 05:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Depends on the policy, but temporary housing and/or moving expenses are a possibility. Can't hurt to find out.

Also, I agree with the advice to get an attorney. There are a lot of competing interests here. Don't discount the stress of having to deal with this on your own. Your sanity and family may depend upon it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-02-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 05:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Either tough it out or move, perhaps to an extended stay hotel until all is fixed.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:12 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Rights vary by state. So. Where?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:13 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:

Sorry, but the title of the thread you started states ~~ Plumbing failed, ceiling fell in.

I am having a hard time believing your rented space hasn't caused any damage?? You have renters insurance fine.. BUT IF nothing personal property was damaged.. THEN it falls on the OWNER who IS RESPONSIBLE!

I'm flabbergasted YOU don't understand basics??

Call your Landlord.. and report, protect your ceiling intrusion so nothing else gets directly affected.. Electrical issues could arise.. Don't want to even mention possible vermin and other intruders who cold INVADE your living space! I'm sure your Insurance Company agent can advise you appropriately!!

Inconvenience and hey, WHY haven't YOU CALLED your LANDLORD??

Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Sorry, but the title of the thread you started states ~~ Plumbing failed, ceiling fell in.

I am having a hard time believing your rented space hasn't caused any damage?? You have renters insurance fine.. BUT IF nothing personal property was damaged.. THEN it falls on the OWNER who IS RESPONSIBLE!

I'm flabbergasted YOU don't understand basics??

Call your Landlord.. and report, protect your ceiling intrusion so nothing else gets directly affected.. Electrical issues could arise.. Don't want to even mention possible vermin and other intruders who cold INVADE your living space! I'm sure your Insurance Company agent can advise you appropriately!!

Inconvenience and hey, WHY haven't YOU CALLED your LANDLORD??
For the last it sounds like they're dealing with a property management company so they may not even know the owner's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting