Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:21 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Talk to your lawyer. Every state is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Doing twice yearly inspections on all the units beneficial.

Amendments with stipulations can be added to leases, along with non- refundable pet deposits. An indoor cat doesn't go out to do their business, so, chances of discovery by another tenant shouldnt pose an issue.
A non refundable deposit is a fee. I don't know if people with these exemptions would have to pay it plus if you don't allow pets why have it in the lease?

Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM

453 posts, read 410,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
this. And if there any damage from the cat, the tenant is responsible. Just because it's a service pet or support pet doesn't mean the owner won't be held responsible for damage.
Who is suggesting the tenant won’t be responsible for damage? I think that goes without saying.

On the flip side, if all documentation is in order and this is legit, and this is a good tenant, I’d be pretty hesitant to non renew at the end of the lease. The tenant may argue discrimination.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A non refundable deposit is a fee. I don't know if people with these exemptions would have to pay it plus if you don't allow pets why have it in the lease?
Do all fees need to be refundable?

Isnt this thread speaking to considerations of a no pets property allowing a service animal and possible subsequent damage?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
This whole service-animal thing has gotten out of control. This article (among many) talks about people traveling on planes with everything from pigs, dogs, ducks, monkeys, turkeys etc. -- as 'necessary service or emotional support animals.' There are a lot of people out there trying to justify the imposition of their pet preferences on everyone else
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8190576.html

On top of that, bureaucrats have passed regulations saying you can't even ask why the person needs this service/support animal. Obviously if a person has a seeing eye dog, the animal is necessary, but, some of these other claims are just plain nuts.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Isnt this thread speaking to considerations of a no pets property allowing a service animal and possible subsequent damage?
There may be a big distinction between a service animal and an emotional support animal.

I serve on a committee that plans and hosts a regional country fair.
Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair

One of the topics that we had to develop a written policy on was personal pets. This state has laws that protect 'service' animals. But emotional support animals are not given such legal protection.

The issue had come up and had been sent to our lawyers. The lawyers gave us guidelines and suggested that we craft a written policy. Our final policy had to be reviewed by the legal team before it could be approved by our board.

Basically, service animals are allowed at our fair. emotional support animals are not allowed.

The real hard part to define was how to distinguish between these types of animals, what phrases can be used to ask the animal's role, and who is allowed to ask those questions.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
... On top of that, bureaucrats have passed regulations saying you can't even ask why the person needs this service/support animal. Obviously if a person has a seeing eye dog, the animal is necessary, but, some of these other claims are just plain nuts.
I assume that we all agree that a trained seeing-eye dog is needed by blind people.

But when someone wants to have an emotional support llama, ferret or python, it seems odd.

I recently read an article about a woman who has a deep emotional connection with a chicken.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Only "damage" if you can call it that, that my cat causes is a little bit of scattered litter on the floor. Very easy to clean up with regular vacuuming.
I've dealt with cat damage way beyond scattered litter (foul odor producing/urine soaked moulding, baseboard, doors, sheetrock, plywood, floor joists, wall studs, slab damage) more than once, which is why I'm apprehensive.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There may be a big distinction between a service animal and an emotional support animal.

I serve on a committee that plans and hosts a regional country fair.
Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association > The Fair

One of the topics that we had to develop a written policy on was personal pets. This state has laws that protect 'service' animals. But emotional support animals are not given such legal protection.

The issue had come up and had been sent to our lawyers. The lawyers gave us guidelines and suggested that we craft a written policy. Our final policy had to be reviewed by the legal team before it could be approved by our board.

Basically, service animals are allowed at our fair. emotional support animals are not allowed.

The real hard part to define was how to distinguish between these types of animals, what phrases can be used to ask the animal's role, and who is allowed to ask those questions.
Service Animals are Totally different. First ADA Only considers Dogs & Mini Horses SA. Service Animals are Fully Trained to assit person with Disability Outside the Home.
Cats & Other animals are Not SA under ADA & are Not protected.

In Home its a Whole different story.... falls under Fair Housing. Which Covers cats.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:

No I'm just saying it's not a deposit if it's non refundable, it's a fee or charge. A deposit implies it can be returned if there is no damage.

non refundable deposit is an oxymoron to me.

You can say non refundable deposit meaning they won't get it back, but to me it's a way to cheat someone.

Like when you charge someone to do a background check you wouldn't say it's a non refundable deposit, it's a charge or a fee.

That's just me and a pet peeve of mine. No pun intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting