Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:26 PM

453 posts, read 409,751 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

So as I posted earlier this summer, myself and fiancé moved into our place beginning of August. After about a week we noticed a somewhat slow drain in our shower/tub. We put in a hair catcher over the drain, hoping that this would help solve the issue.

Fast forward, the drain is slowly getting worse. The water backs up about halfway to the back of the tub during a shower, and takes about 1-2 minutes to fully drain once the water is off.

My question is, is there any remendy I can try as a tenant? Obviously not pouring draino down there or anything other chemical that could damage pipes. Should I just deal with it?

This condo has been a rental for over a decade, who knows what has gone down the drain. I’m not sure how much it is to have a plumber come and eradicate the issue, but at what point should we inform the LL of this? A slow drain doesn’t really seem high on the list of things you should bother your LL with, so I’m torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 03:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,594 times
The stuff like Draino and Liquid Plumber works. And, if you follow the instructions, it will be fine.

Since it is a tub and not a sink, though. When you are done, you need to rinse it out very good, and clean the tub too.

I have used the bronze bottle of liquid plumber several times over the years at various apartments for this very issue. Always worked.

As long as you follow the instructions, and run water after (as per the instructions), it will not damage the pipes.

IF that does not work, then call the owners and have THEM pay for the next step.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:40 PM

15,140 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Try: baking soda (lots), white vinegar and then a cup of hot water - it'll fizz like crazy - then run lots of cold water.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
The stuff like Draino and Liquid Plumber works. And, if you follow the instructions, it will be fine.

Since it is a tub and not a sink, though. When you are done, you need to rinse it out very good, and clean the tub too.

I have used the bronze bottle of liquid plumber several times over the years at various apartments for this very issue. Always worked.

As long as you follow the instructions, and run water after (as per the instructions), it will not damage the pipes.

IF that does not work, then call the owners and have THEM pay for the next step.
I wouldn’t mind using it if the LL gave the okay.

On the flip side, we could just keep our mouths shut. My fiancé is one of 3 girls, and when we started dating, the shower are their house would fill up about a quarter of the way during a shower, and take about 15-20 minutes to drain. That went on for years without them doing anything about it.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
I wouldn’t mind using it if the LL gave the okay.
This is the takeaway.

WHATEVER might be done it should be the landlord doing it.
And whatever might be needed I suspect the problem is deeper than the trap in your tub.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:28 PM

166 posts, read 362,750 times
Have you tried to remove the clog with a screwdriver? Every so often we have to remove the drain stopper, and root around to remove the hair that has built up inside the drain. Despite it being my long/curly hair, my husband is kind enough to do this job.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
When my tenants moved I have a plumber who goes and checks everything. They called about a slow drain but they were mov8ng in a few days. The plumber pulled out a huge hair ball. The guy lived with his wife and four girls.
Get one of those plastic drain cleaners. Looks like a long flat piece of plastic about 25 inches long with little saw tooth fingers. Unscrew the drain cap and shove that down and twist it around and pull it back out.
Or call your LL. Most likely it’s just hair clogging up the shower drain. Usually such clog would be the tenants responsibility but with 5 girls all with long hair I figured hair clogs would be happening

I never had that issue because it was a guest shower.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
When my tenants moved I have a plumber who goes and checks everything. They called about a slow drain but they were mov8ng in a few days. The plumber pulled out a huge hair ball. The guy lived with his wife and four girls.
Get one of those plastic drain cleaners. Looks like a long flat piece of plastic about 25 inches long with little saw tooth fingers. Unscrew the drain cap and shove that down and twist it around and pull it back out.
Or call your LL. Most likely it’s just hair clogging up the shower drain. Usually such clog would be the tenants responsibility but with 5 girls all with long hair I figured hair clogs would be happening

I never had that issue because it was a guest shower.
I mean, if she wants to charge us that’s fine, but two people showering for 5 minutes each a day who just moved in hardly seem like the cause

Additionally, isn’t that hard plastic? The drain turns immediately right below the cover. To do that, the plastic would have to bend

Old 10-04-2018, 05:22 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Assuming it's a hair clog, not a grease clog, I would not use draino. I'd stick a snake down there and pull it out.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is the takeaway.

WHATEVER might be done it should be the landlord doing it.
And whatever might be needed I suspect the problem is deeper than the trap in your tub.
Like what? I find it likely that it’s probsbly built up hair and soap scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting