Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

I'm currently moving out of my apt. and I know Landlord is selling it. I gave a deposit which should go back to me within 30-45 days because main office needs to release it to my landlord. To add to this whole story my landlord lives abroad. I'm worried that he will sell the property within 30-45 days and then disappear with my deposit. Is there a lien I can put on the property to prevent sale until deposit is paid? And how would I go about doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldWill View Post
To add to this whole story my landlord lives abroad.
I'm worried that he will sell the property within 30-45 days and then disappear with my deposit.
This detail doesn't "add to" the story... it IS the story.

Quote:
Is there a lien I can put on the property to prevent sale until deposit is paid?
And how would I go about doing that?
I bet you could do that... or at least ask for it.
Is the amount enough to justify the effort of going to Court etc?

Quote:
I'm currently moving out of my apt.
I gave a deposit which should go back to me within 30-45 days
Most areas have laws requiring the LL/Owner/Property Manager to provide a tenant with an accounting
within X days of moving out. Actually getting the cash, part or whole, will relate to that and the condition report.
So be sure your "damage" doesn't exceed the 'wear and tear" level.
---

Who is your lease with? Who did you pay the deposit to?
The owner directly or the property manager?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldWill View Post
I'm currently moving out of my apt. and I know Landlord is selling it. I gave a deposit which should go back to me within 30-45 days because main office needs to release it to my landlord. To add to this whole story my landlord lives abroad. I'm worried that he will sell the property within 30-45 days and then disappear with my deposit. Is there a lien I can put on the property to prevent sale until deposit is paid? And how would I go about doing that?
Name your state.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:48 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Name your state.

I believe the OP lives in Florida.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,566 times
I do live in Florida and deposit is in the amount of $1700. Apt. is actually in a better condition then when I moved in, I did a lot of maintenance work without charging for labor.

Nice sense of humor MrRational. Good call reenzz.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You don't get to put a lien on the property you rented.

if the landlord doesn't return the balance of a deposit that you are legally entitled to, you take him to small claims court. At small claims court, if the judge agrees with you that the landlord owes you money, the judge will issue a judgement.

Once you have the legal judgement, if you don't get paid, you can turn the judgement over to a debt collection agency.

if you place a lien on the property before the deposit refund is even due and there is no proof about money owed to you or how much is owed you, ( and I don't think it would be allowed), and the lien interferes with the sale of the property, you can be in serious and extremely expensive legal trouble.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:19 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you are renting through a property manager, that manager has your deposit money

Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
A good landlord/property management team would place any and all deposits in a separate and untouched account and remove it only to pay back the leaving renter with cost of repairs and damages created by the renter during their time.

As the property management for your deposit back. Depending on the state and the laws regarding deposits they may have a certain amount of time to process the damages and adjust the remaining deposit accordingly. If they are telling you to get it from the landlord, then your probably dealing with a shifty management team/landlord duo and asking a real estate/tenants lawyer or advisory group is your best bet for getting advice on how to handle this situation.

It seems that your anticipating your landlord is going to do the bad thing, which is fair but wait until things actually get in motion and you truly move out. In the meantime familiarize yourself with Florida and your municipal tenant/landlord laws and regulations. It also would help to know what tenant support groups are around you is your thinking of continuing to rent. People on CD can only suggest so much and in most cases the best advice here will be talk to a lawyer/tenancy law group and read your regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting