Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,251 times

Advertisements

This is in CA. Tenant moved out, sent disposition with itemized deductions and cheque to tenant within 21 days.
However I forgot to add/mention one more deduction where I have replaced an item damaged by tenant in that disposition. It is past 21 days now, can I legally send an updated disposition now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 01:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samredy124 View Post
However I forgot to add/mention one more...
Hope it isn't too expensive.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:48 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
I'd say you're out of luck. Too late if you already returned the deposit, along with an itemized account.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:14 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
You can *ask* the tenant to pay you whatever it is that you think they owe.

If they don't, your recourse is to file suit in small claims court. It's up to you to determine if this is worth it or not.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Thank you all for the responses. One thing is tenant didn't cash the refund check yet. Does it change anything?

Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you discovered something after the refund was made, you could try requesting payment. The next step would be small claims court.

It wouldn't be worth the trouble and expense unless the item was expensive. If you discovered the tenant filled the drains with concrete, then go after them. Anything much less than that, I suggest you let it go and be more careful next time.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samredy124 View Post
Thank you all for the responses. One thing is tenant didn't cash the refund check yet. Does it change anything?
It does not change anything.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 AM

453 posts, read 410,182 times
You could ask them to pay it, which I’m sure they won’t. Or you could try the small claims route.

Personally, as a tenant, I’d be pretty skeptical. This could easily be something that was damaged while doing repairs or prepping to re rent the unit. Not saying that’s the case here, but from a tenants prospective, not sure there is any reason to dish out more money after deposit was received with itemized list.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
There doesn't appear to be anything in the CA Security Deposit statute that precludes a landlord from seeking additional compensation for damage after the compliance period:

Law section.

As a practical matter, unfortunately, good luck trying to get it.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
There doesn't appear to be anything in the CA Security Deposit statute that precludes a landlord from seeking additional compensation for damage after the compliance period:

Law section.

As a practical matter, unfortunately, good luck trying to get it.

I am worried about this section. From that, it looks like I need to add an estimate with first itemized statement. But I have completely forgot to mention it in the first itemized statement.

(3) If a repair to be done by the landlord or the landlord’s employee cannot reasonably be completed within 21 calendar days after the tenant has vacated the premises, or if the documents from a person or entity providing services, materials, or supplies are not in the landlord’s possession within 21 calendar days after the tenant has vacated the premises, the landlord may deduct the amount of a good faith estimate of the charges that will be incurred and provide that estimate with the itemized statement. If the reason for the estimate is because the documents from a person or entity providing services, materials, or supplies are not in the landlord’s possession, the itemized statement shall include the name, address, and telephone number of the person or entity. Within 14 calendar days of completing the repair or receiving the documentation, the landlord shall complete the requirements in paragraphs (1) and (2) in the manner specified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting