Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 19,695 times

Advertisements

By the way my crimes were over 9 yrs ago!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONELIVOICES View Post
HELLO'
I AM A CONVICTED FELON AND I AM LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT IN THE VA BEACH OCEANFRONT AREA. THE FIRST PLACE I LOOKED AT DENIED ME WITHIN 12 HOURS OR LESS, THOUGH SHE DID SAY I COULD GET SOME RECOMMENDATION LETTERS AND SHE WOULD RESUBMIT MY APPLICATION.I HAVE 3 DRUG CHARGES NO VIOLENT CRIMES(THOUGH A CRIME IS A CRIME TO SOME) OR GANG ACTIVITY. I'VE BEEN HOME 2YRS AND 2 WKS. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AND HAVE BEEN WITH THIS SAME COMPANY FOR 20 MONTHS OR LONGER.I'M NOT INVOLVED WITH ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES . ALSO I'M CURRENTLY IN A PROGRAM IN CHESAPEAKE VA CALLED "PROJECT F.I.N.D........THEY HELP NEWLY RELEASED FELONS ACQUIRE JOBS,HELP WITH FINES,ADJUSTING TO SOCIETY, ETC.....

I NEED HELP BECAUSE IT IS KILLING MY BOUND WITH MY KIDS NOT HAVING MY OWN SPACE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT MY LICENSE I NEVER HAD AND CAN NOT GET BECAUSE OF THE INTREST BUILT UP WHILE I WAS IN PRISON FOR 6 1/2 YRS............................................... ............................
.............................................THATS ANOTHER SUBJECT
My advice:
1. On your application (and anywhere else for that matter), do not write in all capital letters. Seriously. It makes it more difficult to read, and some people won't even bother.

2. Stress on your application that your crimes were more than 9 years ago and that you've been out for two years with no further criminal activity (assuming this is true).

3. Also stress that you've been with the same company for 20 months.

4. Have your boss write you the most glowingly positive reference letter in the history of glowingly positvie reference letters -- stressing your character, honesty, dependability, blahblahblah.

5. Be prepared to explain that while you take full responsibilty for your crimes, they were a long time ago and you feel you're a different person now and see the error of your ways and blahblahblah.

6. Hope that there isn't another applicant who is equal to you in all aspects but doesn't have a criminal record.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
I rented a room in my old house to a guy with a criminal record. He was a hard worker and always paid on time, but boy was he an a-hole. EVERYTHING had to be his way (mind you, I rented to him to be a roommate), he brought over some of the sketchiest people I've ever met, he sold drugs out of my garage (I only found out recently, while cleaning out the garage when someone pulled up, asked for him and when I said he had moved out, asked me if I had any weed or acid since he was gone) thought he was 'above the law' and was just generally a bad person. After he moved out, he skipped out on the last months rent and utilities. So no, I wouldn't rent to a person with a criminal record unless they had a damn good explanation... and even then the answer is probably still no.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I rented a room in my old house to a guy with a criminal record. He was a hard worker and always paid on time, but boy was he an a-hole. EVERYTHING had to be his way (mind you, I rented to him to be a roommate), he brought over some of the sketchiest people I've ever met, he sold drugs out of my garage (I only found out recently, while cleaning out the garage when someone pulled up, asked for him and when I said he had moved out, asked me if I had any weed or acid since he was gone) thought he was 'above the law' and was just generally a bad person. After he moved out, he skipped out on the last months rent and utilities. So no, I wouldn't rent to a person with a criminal record unless they had a damn good explanation... and even then the answer is probably still no.
I would feel the same way!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
It is so surprising that so many criminals or ex convicts see them self as "angels' and can't think how others view them. How many of us have heard the same old story...."we have changed"..."we will never do the same again"....specially when they get caught again and again and deny everything until denying won't help because the proof is too strong...

On top of that many criminals have known other criminals who still are looking up "old friends" when they have done their time...do you want them hanging around or in your rental...

The times aren't in favor of ex-cons...since many people need rentals and we aren't discriminating if we rent it to the person with the best credentials.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 AM

215 posts, read 544,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Same here, That is a big red flag and there are plenty of people with out criminal records that I would rather try renting to first. This is basically the same thing as having bad credit, its another immediate red flag.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is so surprising that so many criminals or ex convicts see them self as "angels' and can't think how others view them. How many of us have heard the same old story...."we have changed"..."we will never do the same again"....specially when they get caught again and again and deny everything until denying won't help because the proof is too strong...

On top of that many criminals have known other criminals who still are looking up "old friends" when they have done their time...do you want them hanging around or in your rental...

The times aren't in favor of ex-cons...since many people need rentals and we aren't discriminating if we rent it to the person with the best credentials.

Every ex-criminal I know is still involved in drug dealing/burglary/domestic violence etc. even though they've 'changed'. Why would they get a 'real job' when they could sell drugs and make 10x more without actually working?

I'd need references up the rear if I would even consider renting to an ex-criminal.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGUY87 View Post
Same here, That is a big red flag and there are plenty of people with out criminal records that I would rather try renting to first. This is basically the same thing as having bad credit, its another immediate red flag.

The credit thing is iffy with me. I take expensive medication for a genetic disorder and every once in a while the company I deal with will send me to collections for a horrendous amount of money because they 'accidentally' billed the wrong insurance. My credit went from a little below 800 to under 400 in a matter of days because someone posted that a $168,000 bill had gone to collections.... this has happened about once a year for the past 6 years. It usually takes about 4 months to clear up.

So, if they have paperwork regarding a medical collection etc., I'd say give them a bit of slack.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONELIVOICES View Post
HELLO'
I AM A CONVICTED FELON AND I AM LOOKING FOR AN APARTMENT IN THE VA BEACH OCEANFRONT AREA. THE FIRST PLACE I LOOKED AT DENIED ME WITHIN 12 HOURS OR LESS, THOUGH SHE DID SAY I COULD GET SOME RECOMMENDATION LETTERS AND SHE WOULD RESUBMIT MY APPLICATION.I HAVE 3 DRUG CHARGES NO VIOLENT CRIMES(THOUGH A CRIME IS A CRIME TO SOME) OR GANG ACTIVITY. I'VE BEEN HOME 2YRS AND 2 WKS. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AND HAVE BEEN WITH THIS SAME COMPANY FOR 20 MONTHS OR LONGER.I'M NOT INVOLVED WITH ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES . ALSO I'M CURRENTLY IN A PROGRAM IN CHESAPEAKE VA CALLED "PROJECT F.I.N.D........THEY HELP NEWLY RELEASED FELONS ACQUIRE JOBS,HELP WITH FINES,ADJUSTING TO SOCIETY, ETC.....

I NEED HELP BECAUSE IT IS KILLING MY BOUND WITH MY KIDS NOT HAVING MY OWN SPACE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT MY LICENSE I NEVER HAD AND CAN NOT GET BECAUSE OF THE INTREST BUILT UP WHILE I WAS IN PRISON FOR 6 1/2 YRS............................................... ............................
.............................................THATS ANOTHER SUBJECT
Good luck. I wouldn't rent to someone with three drug charges either, sorry.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Good luck. I wouldn't rent to someone with three drug charges either, sorry.
I wouldn't either.

Only done drug charge? Maybe.. everyone makes stupid decisions and deserves a second chance, with careful supervision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting