Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,481 times

Advertisements

I have a criminal record, a bank robbery from nine years ago when I was young. Does it mean I should not get housing the rest of my life, because of one mistake in the heat of the moment? I don't think so. Especially when I have had perfect rental history from when I got out of prison 2 years and 6 months ago. I fear because of you people who are ignorant, that I will not be able to get the apartment I want in June. I will certainly try and make a case out of it. And if I am denied, worst case I can keep my current apartment in the progressive north where your past shouldn't be such an issue. You people are ignorant. Go join the tea party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
So everyone who disagrees with you is "ignorant"? You sure sound like someone I would like to rent to.

If you are the best applicant, someone will rent to you. Having a criminal record does not help your case. Displaying the think-skills in the post above also does not help your case.

If you have 2.5 years of perfect rental history, that DOES help your case. Have proof of this and letters of recommendation from your current landlord and any past landlords and phone numbers to contact them. If you're telling the truth, and there isn't someone else just as qualified who doesn't have a criminal record, you might not have a problem. And don't try to hide it. Get behind it up front, tell them when you fill out the application and present your paperwork. If it looks like you're trying to hide it in hopes that they don't run a background check, that won't help at all. And I'd suggest not bringing the attitude into the rental office with you.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Platoon View Post
I have a criminal record, a bank robbery from nine years ago when I was young.
There are countless other people, who have also been young, and have never robbed a bank or engaged in crime.. much less such violent crime.

I'm sorry buddy, but you get to go to the back of the line on this one. If that makes us ignorant.. I'd shudder to think what it makes you.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
I have a criminal record, a bank robbery from nine years ago when I was young. Does it mean I should not get housing the rest of my life, because of one mistake in the heat of the moment? I don't think so. Especially when I have had perfect rental history from when I got out of prison 2 years and 6 months ago. I fear because of you people who are ignorant, that I will not be able to get the apartment I want in June. I will certainly try and make a case out of it. And if I am denied, worst case I can keep my current apartment in the progressive north where your past shouldn't be such an issue. You people are ignorant. Go join the tea party
I'm glad to hear you have been living a law abiding life since you got out of prision 2.5 years ago. That's great, keep it up, keeping your nose clean will pay off in the long run. However, you do need to work on your attitude. Assuming anyone who would hesitate to rent to you is ignorant and should join the tea party is a pretty extreme assumption. You are marginalizing yourself by holding those attitudes. You need to recognize that a lot of people are going to have problems accepting your criminal history, and no one can change that but yourself, by your actions, your deeds and your words. Out of the last 9 years, 6.5 of them you spent in prison associating with other criminals, you have only been out for 2.5 years. You still have a ways to go before most people are going to feel comfortable that you have rehabilitated yourself. And declarations like the post above are not helping you in anyway.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
I fear because of you people who are ignorant, that I will not be able to get the apartment I want in June.
Ignorant, yet apparently very powerful...

Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
I am a wife of a felon. And from my point of view it's so hard to get into a place. I have no criminal record my husband's record consist of non violent crime 8 years ago. And we get denied all the time. It's sad that there are felons who haven't done a awful crime who have family s who have jobs and do everything for their family's. I am 8 months pregnant there foe UN able to work,my husband brings in the money and rental places don't see him as being a wonderful husband a wonderful father and US as a new family trying to make it, all they see is the felony.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felony thoughts402 View Post
I am a wife of a felon. And from my point of view it's so hard to get into a place. I have no criminal record my husband's record consist of non violent crime 8 years ago. And we get denied all the time. It's sad that there are felons who haven't done a awful crime who have family s who have jobs and do everything for their family's. I am 8 months pregnant there foe UN able to work,my husband brings in the money and rental places don't see him as being a wonderful husband a wonderful father and US as a new family trying to make it, all they see is the felony.

You know what? You're right. But some LL look to minimize risk to themselves. Its a policy of no felons so it makes no difference if its a stolen car or you robbed Fort Knox. Its a felony. It has nothing to do with you or your husband. The policy must be followed and applied to all equally. As soon as the LL makes a exception they leave themselves open to discrimination.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Thinking may change. Statistics say that 1 in 4 adults has a criminal record that would show on a background check. There is a movement in the employment arena to "Ban the Box," meaning the box to check on an application regarding a criminal past. Many state employment offices have already done so.:

A growing movement to protect convicted job applicants - Fortune Management

Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felony thoughts402 View Post

But he still committed a crime...non violent or not.

A landlord has no idea what kind of crime (and a crime is a crime) and isn't going to take the risk. It doesn't matter what kind of 'crime' they did...they did it once, they might do it again.

Does it suck for you and your child? Of course it does, but you knew what you were getting into when you married/stay married to a felon. Sorry, but we all make choices and your husband chose to break the law.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
A landlord also has a duty to his other tenants in a multi-family property. This is one thing many people fail to take into consideration. Other tenants are paying to live in what they feel is a safe area and you would be surprised how much blowback a landlord could catch if it ever came out that he rented to a felon. It's more a matter of perception, but that is the way it is.

Off to the TEA Party rally I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting