Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,873,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think you really need to do the math, because when you rent you don't deal with this:

I'm just trying to introduce the idea that the cost of the house itself is not your only consideration when you are determining your total cost of living. There may be condo communities you can buy into where all or most major maintenance is covered, and you wouldn't have to worry about finding a stranger to subsidize your expenses who won't make you feel uncomfortable in your own home.

I also think that if you are not good at confrontation you should not be a landlord.

Not to be snarky or anything but I'm not stupid. I've owned homes before and I'm aware of the costs, etc. involved. I don't want to live in a condo. It's too much like apartment living and I will never live in one again.

I can handle all my expenses as long as I work fulltime. The biggest motivation for having a renter was so I wouldn't HAVE to work fulltime. I'm old and I'm damn tired of working at all but I have to and there are NO options.

I guess I will just chalk this up to 'experience' and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:11 PM

13,660 posts, read 12,326,875 times
Also, don't be afraid of waiting to fill the vacancy...It doesn't sound like you're hard up to make the mortgage payment, so if it takes a month and a half, so be it.

And while I understand that your ideal is a "Golden Girls" scenario, you might consider a younger roommate. Not all 20-somethings are loud. Plenty of them keep to themselves in their room and watch Netflix, and furthermore, they're used to sharing spaces; not all older folks are used to living in a roommate situation anymore.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Also, don't be afraid of waiting to fill the vacancy...It doesn't sound like you're hard up to make the mortgage payment, so if it takes a month and a half, so be it.

And while I understand that your ideal is a "Golden Girls" scenario, you might consider a younger roommate. Not all 20-somethings are loud. Plenty of them keep to themselves in their room and watch Netflix, and furthermore, they're used to sharing spaces; not all older folks are used to living in a roommate situation anymore.

Yeah, I'll be okay for a while yet without a renter and I am going back to work pretty quick. I'll be okay but I'm thinking extra money to help me get back what these five months have cost me...not nearly as much as it could have!...but I really hate taking money out of savings. So I need to replace that.

I will consider younger. I don't want a Golden Girls scenario. lol Even living with someone I keep to myself pretty much. Don't really care about being palsy but that could change depending on the person. I hardly talk to this one at all. Partly because she has a hearing problem...except when it comes to my TV...and you have to talk loud and repeat everything. Gets tiring. Plus I'm always mad at her and I'll yell if I talk. It's already happened. lol

It's been a tad better since I did the eviction notice. She still unplugs my nightlight every morning. lol She still hasn't put the bathroom back together and her stuff is still scattered in her rooms. I can't wait to see them all clean and straight again!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,725,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Not to be snarky or anything but I'm not stupid.
You aren't being snarky, and I don't think you're stupid. I DO think you're stubborn.

Quote:

I can handle all my expenses as long as I work fulltime.
That's a HUGE qualifier.

So what is your plan for when working full-time at age 80 just isn't sustainable?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,743,290 times
Requiring first, last, and security helps you to avoid truly marginal tenants.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You aren't being snarky, and I don't think you're stupid. I DO think you're stubborn.

That's a HUGE qualifier.

So what is your plan for when working full-time at age 80 just isn't sustainable?

Can't deny I might be a tad "stubborn". lol I inherited it.

I know a couple of ladies in my same circumstances, in their early 80s, and still working fulltime. I am in much better shape than either of them. I've known them since they were my age now and they had many issues even back then. But they are still there. I really don't have any options so I'll just have to keep it up until I simply can't anymore and hope it's for a long time. I always said I was going to drop dead on the job and maybe I will! Actually, I could make it okay on part time so long as it isn't less than 24 hours a week. Thirty two is better.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Requiring first, last, and security helps you to avoid truly marginal tenants.

I do believe you are right and I expect I will.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:55 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,684,712 times
Quote:
I do believe you are right and I expect I will.
I think asking first, last and security is a bit much, but it may be regional. When I lived in the northeast it was normal to ask for that which is like 3 months rent.

Now in south Florida they just ask for first month and security.

It's also more likely they won't have 3 months rent if they need a room, if they need an apartment they should have saved up for it so it's more expected.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,684,712 times
Quote:
Can't deny I might be a tad "stubborn". lol I inherited it.

I know a couple of ladies in my same circumstances, in their early 80s, and still working fulltime. I am in much better shape than either of them. I've known them since they were my age now and they had many issues even back then. But they are still there. I really don't have any options so I'll just have to keep it up until I simply can't anymore and hope it's for a long time. I always said I was going to drop dead on the job and maybe I will! Actually, I could make it okay on part time so long as it isn't less than 24 hours a week. Thirty two is better.
I think you have to change your mindset. Stop smoking first and that will save you money. Some people spend $300 to $500 a month on cigarettes.

Figure out what you need to do in the long run, you can't keep working forever. Work on cutting expenses so you can live on what you have. Apply for food stamps and Medicaid if you qualify, or find a food bank to help with food costs, apply for country programs like LIHEAP or other local programs, make sure you are getting all the property tax credits and exemptions you qualify for.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think asking first, last and security is a bit much, but it may be regional. When I lived in the northeast it was normal to ask for that which is like 3 months rent.

Now in south Florida they just ask for first month and security.

It's also more likely they won't have 3 months rent if they need a room, if they need an apartment they should have saved up for it so it's more expected.

I think it's a bit much around here too. This is not exactly a high income area. I figure first month and security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting