Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,134 times

Advertisements

I'm living in a small European city. A rather ugly situation has formed in my shared apartment over the last four months or so.
I moved into this shared apartment a little over a year ago. The contract states that, when you wish to move out before the end of the first year of your 3 year contract, you have to find someone to move into your room or you forfeit your bond.
The outgoing flatmate seemed pretty desperate, he briefly introduced me to the two other flatmates, I then moved in.
Now the contract for my room is directly with the landlady, nothing to do with the other flatmates, we all have keys to our individual doors as well as to the front door.
So 3 months later around Christmas one of my flatmates moved out to be replaced by a guy who had lived there previously. (this guy had moved out some months prior to me moving in, to shack up with some girl, unfortunately, that didn't work out so back he came)
Now I understand he previously had my room, He doesn't really like me, he also feels that because he lived here before, that somehow he's the main guy. The other flatmate agrees with this assessment. They spoke to the landlady telling her we weren't getting along, she came to see me and I told her that I felt I was being bullied. I also told her that I have no money to move out (I'm living in what is possibly the cheapest place in the (very expensive) city.)
The landlady thinks we should sort this out between us.
My feeling is, although I would naturally like to get along with everyone, it is not absolutely necessary for the situation. My number one concern is having a roof over my head that I can afford. They've asked me to leave, adding that, in their opinion, I have an obligation to acquiesce to this request as the situation is making them deeply unhappy and asking me "do I want to be the cause of their happiness?" They are in their twenties and I am 45. They say I am too different, by which I presume they mean i'm too old, and I prefer to be left alone which they don't like.
My belief is, I signed a contract with the landlady, I'm entitled to be there, and I believe that we need to act like grown-ups, I said that not everybody gets along in life but we need to act with respect to one another. There is a bit of an atmosphere, but it's not coming from me. I just come into the apartment on an evening and then stay my room unless I'm cooking or using the bathroom.
Do I have some kind of obligation to move out so that they can feel comfortable?
Gin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 03:01 PM

6,337 posts, read 4,857,482 times
Quote:
Do I have some kind of obligation to move out so that they can feel comfortable?

No, of course not.

And I'm surprised that a 45 year old can't tell a couple of 20 year old twerps to **** off.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
No, of course not.

And I'm surprised that a 45 year old can't tell a couple of 20 year old twerps to **** off.
well i'm a strange cat tbh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting