Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times

Advertisements

This is in St. Louis, MO: One of the reasons I chose my apartment was that it was supposed to come with a parking spot included with the base rent. Once I signed my lease though, I was informed that there weren't actually any spots and I would be wait listed. Six months later, I'm still wait listed and becoming increasingly frustrated that I was basically lied to and not told there was a wait list. My property manager basically told me sorry tough luck, no spots are available when I complained and told them it was on my lease. What are my options here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 03:23 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Is it really in the written language of the lease? If so, perhaps contact your State Attorney General office or see if there’s a local Housing Board for Tenant/Landlord issues.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Did the owner/renter have rights to an assigned parking spot which they were legally able to transfer to you? If your lease agreement specifically states that you will have an assigned parking spot, the property manager may be playing games. (The contract/ agreement takes precedence over what the property manager (an employee/agent) may be telling you).

If it's in your lease, I would tell them that I intended to start deducting $75-$100? per month from my rent for the parking spot, until such time as I actually got what I was paying for. You may even want to press for reimbursement for what you've already paid. (Keep in mind, the property manager doesn't own the property... or have any legal right to modify your lease agreement!)

Old 01-13-2019, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times
Thanks for the responses. At the top of the lease it says "Miscellaneous: 1 free parking spot" right next to my signature. I'll see if they will reduce my rent and ask for reimbursement. Would they need to modify my lease to reduce my rent though?

Old 01-13-2019, 04:43 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It doesn't say "assigned parking spot". It doesn't say you have exclusive use of the free parking spot. For all you know 20 people have access to the free parking spot and it is first come first served.

I think you were mislead. Is there a housing counsel of some sort where you can take your lease and have someone take a look at it? I think you need some legal advice, not opinions of strangers on the internet.

Whatever you do, don't stop paying rent without first getting permission from the housing courts. Don't set yourself up to be legally evicted.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It doesn't say "assigned parking spot". It doesn't say you have exclusive use of the free parking spot. For all you know 20 people have access to the free parking spot and it is first come first served.

I think you were mislead. Is there a housing counsel of some sort where you can take your lease and have someone take a look at it? I think you need some legal advice, not opinions of strangers on the internet.

Whatever you do, don't stop paying rent without first getting permission from the housing courts. Don't set yourself up to be legally evicted.
He was definitely misled. One free parking spot basically is understood as a provided parking spot for a leasee owned vehicle.

If I was paying to have my vehicle stored/parked I would expect to be reimbursed for all those costs until the free parking spot was provided. Next time when you sign a lease demand to see YOUR assigned parking spot.
But I wouldn’t let this go. Especially after being told tough luck. I would file a small claims lawsuit if I had to pay, and I would go as far as looking elsewhere and leaving due to breach of lease if they gave me any crap.

The thing is when i pay for something and it’s promised as included n the agreement I expect you to hold your end of the bargain. If you can’t I’m gonna be a complete A-hole about it. It’s your choice which one of me you wanna deal with

Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Since it was written so ambiguously you probably have little recourse.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingprobs View Post
Thanks for the responses. At the top of the lease it says "Miscellaneous: 1 free parking spot" right next to my signature. I'll see if they will reduce my rent and ask for reimbursement. Would they need to modify my lease to reduce my rent though?
The ambiguous way it is written suggests they have played this game before. As others have noted, it doesn't seem to say the spot is 'assigned' and solely available for your use. This could force you to resort to legal action to interpret what seems to be deceptive advertising (and contracts).

Nevertheless, instead of simply asking, I would tell them that you expect a reduction in your rent and compensation for the 'free' parking spot you are not getting. Their response will tell you how they intend to play this - and whether you want to automatically deduct an amount, or take other action.

(Note: It may also be worthwhile to push this over the head of the property manager, to the owner or developer who employs the PM. They might be more receptive to a BBB or small claims threat, whereas the PM simply doesn't want to make waves.) - This is only an experience-based recommendation, not legal advice, which should come from a lawyer, not an internet thread.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
When I first moved here there weren't assigned spots but there was enough parking spaces available. There was one handicapped space on my side which people let the person who had been here have and other people were sweet enough to let me have a spot close to my apartment once they saw the cane and walker I use.

Since then, the person who used the handicapped spot left and I took over that spot.

Things went well until we got new neighbors who don't follow the unwritten rules and there are 3-4 vehicles with handicapped plates or placards. It's now a crapshoot as to what is open. People still tend to leave that one spot for me but, invariably, it is when I have a lot of shopping done that it's taken.

I'm not complaining,as such, but it can be frustrating. I won't be renewing my lease and will look for dedicated parking at my next place.

Follow the advice given but please don't let this hamper your getting another apartment. Never burn your bridges.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Where are you parking now? On the street? I agree that if the cost of a parking space (or garage) in your area is about $75/month, then you should ask them to deduct $75/month and refund you that amount for the time since you've been there, and until they give you an assigned spot. They clearly deliberately misled you, especially since they probably have someone else paying for two spots, if you have none.

HOWEVER, do NOT do anything illegal in your area, like deducting from your rent payments. Just plan to move, move out on good terms, and then post a review online warning others of what they will do regarding promises of parking spot that they renege on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting