Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3 1 child she is 6 years old. We moved to a 4 plex and rent upstairs within the first 3 months the neighbors down stairs called the police and said a child was having a fit. My daughter did have a temper tantrum and she has not acted up since. She knows how important it is because we cant afford to move
Anyway the downstairs neigjbor is not friendly at all. Ok a few months after this incident i was in a heated argument with my cousin on phone i was loud and i told the neighbor i was sorry and she called the police again. The landlord took us off the lease we pay month to month she was going to evict us. So last sat went to family gathering my boyfriend was minding his business when one of the guest used a stun gun on him thinking it would be funny we left went home and robert was having an anxiety attack and was very loudhe was not feeling good and he was scared. It was very late the neighbor called the police again i went to tell her what was happening hoping she wpuld understand but she said i dont care police are on there way and slammed the door. Now my daughter after seeing her father go through this and is now so very worried that we are going to get evicted she wont sleep and she is so scared this is not right. The landlord is coming today i feel she is going to tell us to go. IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO. IT WAS NOT INTENTIONALLY DONE. HELP PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:40 PM

486 posts, read 416,428 times
"The landlord took us off the lease we pay month to month she was going to evict us."

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. The landlord 'took you off the lease'? The landlord can't just decide to arbitrarily ignore your old lease and put you on a month-to-month basis unless you agreed and signed a new lease. Otherwise, the old lease is still valid.

Just because the neighbor complains to the landlord and calls the cops, doesn't mean the landlord can evict you if you haven't violated the lease. The landlord can choose to not renew the lease when it actually ends or can evict you if the lease prohibits certain noise and you violated that, but the landlord would have to go to court to prove to a judge that that's what happened.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Also, I wouldn't tell the landlord all this. It just sounds like excuses for drama, which never makes you look good. I would be apologetic, just say that with a kid and people, sometimes we may be louder than we think, but we don't mean to disturb anyone, it won't happen again. I also wouldn't go to the neighbor's door, just get quiet, that's all they want. And don't bring it up to the landlord, for all you know, the neighbor never called and you are the one bringing it up and stirring up the drama.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
I would start looking for a new apartment asap! You want to move BEFORE the LL files the eviction suit, or you will have trouble ever renting again. If there is any way you can afford it, I suggest a single family home, far away from any neighbors.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
If you are on a legal month to month lease, you better start looking for somewhere else to live. No one else wants to live with your drama, and its perfectly legal for the landlord to not renew. He doesnt need a reason, tho you've given him plenty of reasons.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy1951 View Post
We moved to a 4 plex and rent upstairs ...

The landlord took us off the lease ...
we pay month to month she was going to evict us.
Was there an actual paper lease signed when you moved in?
Or have you always been on a M2M arrangement?

(all the rest is just distracting sideshow drama)

Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Sounds like you were on a month to month lease. You and your family were loud many times, self admittedly. They gave you notice, and now you need to get out. The 6 year old I'd probably given a pass to but screaming on the phones and stuns guns, oh my. I'd probably end your lease too.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
OP, the only thing that is normal about your post is your child having a tantrum. Which, depending on the thickness of the walls, can be disruptive.

Stun guns? Screaming matches on the phone? Yeah, I would not be giving you more chances. Sounds like you need to find a place with other noisy tenants.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:08 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
I would file a harassment complaint against said neighbor. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I would file a harassment complaint against said neighbor. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.
Seriously? Crazy loud upstairs neighbor comes downstairs to bother you after making too much noise, you say you are going to call the police, and you are in the wrong? Are you on crack? The neighbor has the right to nothing beyond reasonable noise, the OP violated that. The downstairs neighbor is in the right to ask the police to address it with her. If anything, the OP is harassing the downstairs neighbor by going down there after making noise asking her not to call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting