Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

801 posts, read 451,545 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in a similar situation. I was going to buy but I think now I'll just rent if I can find reasonable places that are quiet a and secluded.
I want to be at least half a mile away from the next humans or dogs. 1 mile would be better.
I also want to be in a warm climate - that seemingly makes it all the harder.
Price point: under $800 a month perhaps up to $1k but that's pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab2631 View Post
Short version:
I need some space, and privacy, and peace, and quiet. The trick is, I'm not in a financial position to buy a home (I'm on disability income, a loan isn't an option), and the only rentals that seem to exist out in the woods or fields or mountains or what have you anywhere in the U.S. are apparently vacation rentals.

I want to live away from other people, even just in a rural area if that's all I can get, as long as there's some space between me and my neighbors. Is that really not an option for someone who can only be a tenant?

Considerations:
I'm not young or naive, I know the expenses and challenges that would come from living outside of a suburban area. I'm self-contained, independent, and not prone to loneliness.
I can't homestead, though I have no mobility issues
Any place I rent would have to be up to code (indoor plumbing, etc), in part because of the above reason
I'm private, quiet, respectful, and keep to myself. I'm the good sort, I just need a place to exist in relative peace.

Thank you in advance for any insight! I'm flummoxed.
Being candid, most, in my area, were mobile homes.

It is not unheard of for landlords to become "friends" with YOUR new neighbors to "check on things" for them. A home "unsupervised" is a more risky bet, and it is not surprising that there is a distinct lack of quality housing in rural settings.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Watch first I Spit On Your Grave and Hush.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I'm going to be in a similar situation. I was going to buy but I think now I'll just rent if I can find reasonable places that are quiet a and secluded.
I want to be at least half a mile away from the next humans or dogs. 1 mile would be better.
I also want to be in a warm climate - that seemingly makes it all the harder.
Price point: under $800 a month perhaps up to $1k but that's pushing it.
10 years ago I was doing some roofing in western Tennessee. There were 2-3 bedroom homes renting in the $300 - $500 range. Climate there is quite warm in the summer and the winters usually don't drop below 40 deg.

This one hits your range.
https://jacksontn.craigslist.org/apa...810129951.html

Old 02-05-2019, 07:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I live in a fairly secluded rental, but it's an in-law unit below/beside the main house (which is occupied by a family). I got it through my sister, since she knows the family through her kids' school. So I guess word of mouth really is how you find those! And even though I technically share the place, we rarely see or hear each other... they keep early teacher's hours, while I usually work late and get home after they're in bed. Kinda the best of both worlds, you could say.

This is the view from my deck - and while we're actually right off the highway, it feels like the middle of nowhere once you're there:

Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Ask for help from neighbors on Next Door. Say you want to rent an in-law's studio in the mountains or woods or wherever it is you want to be - say how much you can afford and say something about the kind of renter you are.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
The OP posted in the HI forum that she needs section 8 and she has no car.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 AM

169 posts, read 160,271 times
No honey, if your a renter your going to have put up with atleast some type of BS. Especially if your living in a multi family dwelling

Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Those are the bigger issues if this is even a real situation.

Why would a disabled, older single woman with no car want to live alone in the middle of nowhere?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
10 years ago I was doing some roofing in western Tennessee. There were 2-3 bedroom homes renting in the $300 - $500 range. Climate there is quite warm in the summer and the winters usually don't drop below 40 deg.

This one hits your range.
https://jacksontn.craigslist.org/apa...810129951.html

This place is in finger, which is in McNairy County, only 30 min from South Jackson. There's a supermarket in the "city" of Henderson but it's a small one. I live just south of Finger. It's a great place to live but without a vehicle, not going to work. Shipping goods is fine but is unreliable. Promised shipments on specific dates seldom get here on that date. We are only 4 miles off the main road, on a well-travelled road but it isn't uncommon for our packages to be dropped at the post office because FedEx and UPS just aren't coming here in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

That makes no sense. She wants to live 1/2 to 1 mile from any neighbor but doesn't have access to a vehicle. Where there are no neighbors within view, there is no public transport, no taxis, no other means of getting around, save a horse or bicycle.

"McNairy County Summary for Michie, TN Median rental price for rentals in Michie, TN for December was $500, a decrease of 0% compared to the same period last year."

The truth is that the majority of homes in this and surrounding counties average $500/mo. Some will need work, others are fine. Most are advertised on FB. The closer to Memphis ones goes, the higher the rents; but go too close and you lose the "no neighbors", although you do gain some public transportation.

I mentioned no public transportation - I am not certain, but I heard there is a bus between the county seat and Jackson that is supposed to run twice a day; once in the morning heading north to Jackson and once in the evening heading south. I've only seen it once in our 6 years here. But that won't help most people because you still have to get to the bus.

Last edited by Yac; 11-23-2020 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting