Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,738,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And if mitigation were the only aspect of the situation... he'd be golden.
But that isn't getting the hot water back on. Is it?
Pffff, it’s his house. If he doesn’t want to prevent mold or structural damage because he’s too freakin lazy to get someone, anyone, out here to “mitigate” the damages, that’s on him. It’s very simple, what kind of idiot landlord would allow standing water INSIDE THE WALLS to go unchecked? Getting the water back on is one thing, but preventing your property from crumbling to the ground is another. Like I said, if he wants to let his house go to waste, I could care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,592,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Pffff, it’s his house.
Nope. He has hot water at his house.
Quote:
...what kind of idiot landlord would allow...
The kind you have chosen to remain the tenant of.
Or... have you started packing yet?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I’m waiting for you to send the $4k to move. It’s not cheap to move.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Ok so, snide comments aside, could I just up and leave right now?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,592,203 times
Quote:
Ok so, snide comments aside, could I just up and leave right now?
Of course. You could have done so the last time the LL pulled a bonehead move too.
However... repairing or replacing the WH will cost you less (in the short term).

Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Of course. You could have done so the last time the LL pulled a bonehead move too.
However... repairing or replacing the WH will cost you less (in the short term).
But what about the water that can still be heard trickling inside the walls? I mean, the baseboards are puffed out and the walls are mushy. Isn’t that covered under health and safety? ARS 33-1364 and ARS 33-1324?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM

453 posts, read 405,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
When I woke up to a leaking hot water heater, I immediately turned it off, sent my LL a text and sucked up the standing water with my Bissell. Now I understand that not everyone has a carpet cleaner or shop vac on hand, but letting that standing water stand is on you. Go ask a neighbor for a shop vac, lay down towels.. do something! Standing there watching the water run and cause damage can be considered negligence in your part.

Your LL is also to blame.. my LL had a plumber out the same day to replace the water heater and also brought fans to help dry the carpet.

Thankfully, due my actions, there was zero damage to the unit and zero damage to my personal items.

Trust me, I get your frustration and I’d be pissed too if my LL acted like yours, but I wouldn’t be sitting there watching the mold grow.. I would’ve called someone myself ( assuming you can’t get a carpet cleaner or shop vac) and made sure my living environment was safe. You can always sue for the cost of cleanup.

Good luck.
As far as I’m concerned, the tenant has done their part notifying the landlord immediately. It’s his choice not to run to Home Depot or wherever to purchase a shop vac or materials to clean up the leak. Most folks outside of towels aren’t going to have stuff on hand to deal with a leaking water heater.

Not having proper equipment definitely isn’t negligence on the tenants part. The only negligence would be not notifying proper parties of the issue.

I wouldn’t touch a thing personally. It could be used against me, and can be flat out dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. If the landlord isn’t sending someone out, tough luck for them and all the subsequent damages caused by slow response time.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
As far as I’m concerned, the tenant has done their part notifying the landlord immediately. It’s his choice not to run to Home Depot or wherever to purchase a shop vac or materials to clean up the leak. Most folks outside of towels aren’t going to have stuff on hand to deal with a leaking water heater.

Not having proper equipment definitely isn’t negligence on the tenants part. The only negligence would be not notifying proper parties of the issue.

I wouldn’t touch a thing personally. It could be used against me, and can be flat out dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. If the landlord isn’t sending someone out, tough luck for them and all the subsequent damages caused by slow response time.
Yep. I turned off the water. I won’t touch the water heater. Also, water heater company on the way right now. I’m going to find out if there is a way to just bypass the water heater so we can have some sort of water flowing in our house. The whole pedestal the heater sits on is sinking in due to the water draining from it. This means tossing a new heater in right away is impracticable.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 AM

Update: water heater repair tech came out to remove the heater. He basically said that the pipes and hoses were the only thing keeping It from completely falling through the pedestal. Apparently almost half of the inside of the water heater was filled with sediment/calcium buildup. I took pictures and documented the severity of it. The tech basically said that if the insurance adjuster comes out and discovers the landlord waited several days to address the water in the walls, in his experience, the insurance will most likely deny the claim. The damage was so bad that the landlord/slumlord came out to take pictures claiming “he will do the right thing and have a restoration company come out and make it right”.

The good news is is that we have water! Three days without water and yesterday we got it back. As for hot water, we’ll, that might be awhile. I’m currently working with the tenant union to see about leaving the property.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:21 AM

478 posts, read 413,979 times
Quote:
Update: water heater repair tech came out to remove the heater. He basically said that the pipes and hoses were the only thing keeping It from completely falling through the pedestal. Apparently almost half of the inside of the water heater was filled with sediment/calcium buildup. I took pictures and documented the severity of it. The tech basically said that if the insurance adjuster comes out and discovers the landlord waited several days to address the water in the walls, in his experience, the insurance will most likely deny the claim. The damage was so bad that the landlord/slumlord came out to take pictures claiming “he will do the right thing and have a restoration company come out and make it right”.

The good news is is that we have water! Three days without water and yesterday we got it back. As for hot water, we’ll, that might be awhile. I’m currently working with the tenant union to see about leaving the property.
I’m pretty sure you’ll have a valid reason to break any lease here. Hot water is always a habitability issue. It sucks that you’re likely going to have to take them to small claims to recoup your deposit, but you definitely should.

Good luck finding a new place! At least now you know what NOT to look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting