Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 44,271 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex in Evansville,IN. My unit is located on the second floor(out of 3) in a rather large apt complex. I am going to review my lease, but does it seem legal for the landlord to shut off the a/c units on the property(each unit has an a/c unit) when the utilities are paid directly to Vectren(gas/electric company)?

I realize it is winter, but any one in the Southern Indiana area know how beautiful it was today at about 70 degrees outside. That 70 degrees translates to temps of about 80-85 degrees in my apt with the balcony door open and the bedroom window open. And the fan on hi speed.

I have called the office to complain numerous times and each time I do they say many residents are complaining of the heat, but the order to turn the a/c off comes down from corporate(there owned by Edward Jones of Indiana) so they can't do anything.

I have spoke with many people who believe this is surely against the law. So I was hopping some one could help me out here and give me some advice. So far the best advice given was to contact the office for building codes, and speak with them on the issue or find out who to speak to on the issue.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
AC units can be damaged if operated in very cold weather... just a thought

Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I wouldn't think it would be illegal, since AC is a luxury that some people (like myself) dont have.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
You might be able to find the legal answer on here:
Landlord Tenant Board FAQ

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 PM

267 posts, read 897,947 times
GloryB - Did you pull the wrong link? I don't think Canadian landlord/tenant laws will help someone in Indiana.

OP - There are several reasons to disconnect and cover A/C units for the winter. Freezing causes expansion/contraction issues, which can lead to the condensers breaking very quickly. Covering the unit keeps your heat bill down, by reducing drafts.

It's one of those situations where the landlord can't win either way. Yes - you may have a few beautiful days during the winter. But, if they chose not to turn the units off, then they'd have people complaining ALL winter about how it isn't fair that they have a higher heating bill, and wanting the units turned off/covered. Or, if they chose to let each tenant choose, or be responsible, they would have near constant maintenance requests as people decided to cover it/remove it, cover it/remove it. That becomes a liability to the management company also. And then, we're right back to the part where if they leave it turned on, someone decides to do something dumb like run it during the one hour of a day that its nice, then the weather drops 50 degrees, the unit freezes, tenant says nothing, and two months later claims complete ignorance of why the thing is not functioning, and landlord has to pay to replace the entire AC unit, because there is no way to go back and prove it was running. If landlord turns them all off, and covers them, it's easy to notice who's been screwing around with stuff they shouldn't have, and hold the tenant responsible for damages.

My apartment complex sends notice out two weeks in advance what day in (November) they will be coming around and doing AC maint. They test it, cover it, and disable it, until March. They do it in conjunction with 6 month inspections.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
But, if they chose not to turn the units off, then they'd have people complaining ALL winter about how it isn't fair that they have a higher heating bill, and wanting the units turned off/covered.
Well as it is it is kind of vice versa. It's the furnace of the unit below that causes the temperatures to rise. So they have to pay a much higher heating bill then we do. Alot of second and third floor apartments can be run with very little heat.

Quote:
If landlord turns them all off, and covers them, it's easy to notice who's been screwing around with stuff they shouldn't have, and hold the tenant responsible for damages.
I see what your saying, all though they dont cover the units here. Simply turn them off. I realize it would be alot of work(more so a bit time consuming then anything) but I feel the least they could do is turn on the a/c units on the days when the forecast is to up around 70. The complex has about 1,000 units I suppose, and the a/c switches are in groups of three, and considering we have atleast 5 matinence men, it really doesnt seem like a very large task. Start at about 8AM before work orders start(when they go on the clock), and then stop them at about 5:30 PM which is about a half hour before emergency matinence would start there shift.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
Well as it is it is kind of vice versa. It's the furnace of the unit below that causes the temperatures to rise. So they have to pay a much higher heating bill then we do. Alot of second and third floor apartments can be run with very little heat.

I see what your saying, all though they dont cover the units here. Simply turn them off. I realize it would be alot of work(more so a bit time consuming then anything) but I feel the least they could do is turn on the a/c units on the days when the forecast is to up around 70. The complex has about 1,000 units I suppose, and the a/c switches are in groups of three, and considering we have atleast 5 matinence men, it really doesnt seem like a very large task. Start at about 8AM before work orders start(when they go on the clock), and then stop them at about 5:30 PM which is about a half hour before emergency matinence would start there shift.
Sorry but a temp of only 70^ isn't really a good reason to complain the a/c isn't available.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 AM

70 outside or inside no, by no means, but you missed the part where that translates to 80-85 degrees INSIDE. Now given that heat rises, and were on the second floor imagine what it must be like on the top floor(3rd floor). Must be 85-90*.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Open the windows and buy one of these:

Costs a lot less to run and you get fresh air. I have two that I bought for around $20 at Wal-Mart and I have a house with a/c, which I try to avoid running due to electrical $$.

They turned your a/c off to protect their property. Enjoy the nice winter day while it lasts. Asking them to blow an entire day with a crew of 5 just for 1-2 days of abnormal temps is unreasonable. Don't like it? Buy a house.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Don't complain..Buy a better fan. 80-85 degrees isn't really that hot. To cool it set a bucket of ice in front of your fan or buy a small indoor AC unit that doesn't sit outside.

Open your front door and balcony + windows when you get home and the cross breeze should pull out all the stuffy air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting