Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute! In our area, NO Section 8 leases are "month to month". They are annual leases between the housing authority and the LL, and require an annual re-inspection before renewal. Since Sec 8 is a national program, I suspect that it's the same all over. Basically, your LL's lease is worthless - the lease that matters is the housing authority's lease. So go contact your housing authority - they will tell you what you need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
From what Ive read, Section 8 Leases can go month to month once the initial yearly lease is over.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Section 8 requires a lease for the first year and then it can go to a month to month agreement after the first year is up.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
OP---You are fighting a losing battle. As others have pointed out, you do not have to be pointed out, property you are renting can be sold without being given notice it was being sold, prior to being notified who is new management and where to pay the rent.

The old management company would collect first months rent, as they were the ones, authorized to receive by auto payment.

As you were on a month by month payment, the two month's notice was given as required by law.

If you do not move you will be evicted and thrown out as provided by law, which can cause you to lose your section 8, and even if you are able keep it, landlords will look at this and refuse to rent to you.

I am speaking as some one that was an investment property broker from 1972 until I retired, managed property, and was president for 3 years of a county wide Rental Owners And Managers Association. We had an annual all day conference, and had top real estate attorneys speak on subjects such as yours.

You have no choice, but to move by end of notice. The section 8 payment will stop on the lat month of your 2 month notice, due to that ends the owners contract with you. You cannot afford an attorney to fight this, and consequences of not moving can end up leaving you homeless.

I know this sounds unfeeling for your problems, but is exactly what you need to know and understand.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
FWIW. There may be a requirement to give 90 days notice. The HUD lease will over-rule any state law.

Your Section 8 advocate and free legal help would be able to help. Some places you cannot discriminate against Section 8, although you can use other factors which not many Section 8 tenants would pass, like credit score.

Quote:
In the case of an owner who is an immediate successor in interest pursuant to foreclosure during the term of the lease, requiring the tenant to vacate the property prior to sale shall not constitute other good cause, except that the owner may terminate the tenancy effective on the date of transfer of the unit to the owner if the owner:

(a) will occupy the unit as a primary residence; and

(b) has provided the tenant a notice to vacate at least 90 days before the effective date of such notice.

This provision shall not affect any State or local law that provides for longer time periods or addition protections for tenants. This provision will sunset on December 31, 2012 unless extended by law.

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_11738.PDF

Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Something else you should be aware of - if you don't use your voucher, you lose it. So if you're gonna sit in there and fight a new LL who doesn't want to work with Sec 8, you are running the risk of losing your voucher. So listen to what everyone is telling you, and go find a new place.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
OP---You are fighting a losing battle. As others have pointed out, you do not have to be pointed out, property you are renting can be sold without being given notice it was being sold, prior to being notified who is new management and where to pay the rent.

The old management company would collect first months rent, as they were the ones, authorized to receive by auto payment.

As you were on a month by month payment, the two month's notice was given as required by law.

If you do not move you will be evicted and thrown out as provided by law, which can cause you to lose your section 8, and even if you are able keep it, landlords will look at this and refuse to rent to you.

I am speaking as some one that was an investment property broker from 1972 until I retired, managed property, and was president for 3 years of a county wide Rental Owners And Managers Association. We had an annual all day conference, and had top real estate attorneys speak on subjects such as yours.

You have no choice, but to move by end of notice. The section 8 payment will stop on the lat month of your 2 month notice, due to that ends the owners contract with you. You cannot afford an attorney to fight this, and consequences of not moving can end up leaving you homeless.

I know this sounds unfeeling for your problems, but is exactly what you need to know and understand.
This.

But.......I think this was a "one & done" thread so don't waste your time giving help.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Contact your HA Worker. They will have a list of places where you can apply that are Section 8. You should keep them in the loop regardless. They are there to help you.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
FWIW. There may be a requirement to give 90 days notice. The HUD lease will over-rule any state law.

Your Section 8 advocate and free legal help would be able to help. Some places you cannot discriminate against Section 8, although you can use other factors which not many Section 8 tenants would pass, like credit score.
Yes, I agree with this and the current president renewed that law last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Contact your HA Worker. They will have a list of places where you can apply that are Section 8. You should keep them in the loop regardless. They are there to help you.
I did but she was less than helpful, as she is any other day of the week. This is a woman who believes the Violence Against Women Act only applies to head of households.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 25,645 times
I just got a letter in the mail from the new owner, giving me 90 days, which I feel is fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: