Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,648,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
It's all very irrelevant at this point. The only question is whether OP has the right to use the appliances, which is no. Everything else is completely unhelpful to OP and anyone else.
Wrong, the OP does have the right to use appliances unless her lease or agreement specifically says she can't. Does she have the right to use the stove/oven, fridge, or microwave? Those are appliances too.

If the LL wants to make changes they can make it when the lease is up or if it's month to month they can make it after they give the person 30 days notice that they can't use an appliance. She can use it and if her roommate doesn't like it she can call the appliance police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,648,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
How do you figure that the answer is "no" as to his/her right to use the appliances?

In the absence of a lease, state laws prevail - which state laws are you citing for this?
He's in Virginia, if I had a roommate there I would tell them they could not wash their clan robes or any clothes that may have blackface makeup stains on them.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM

48,351 posts, read 34,466,848 times
Sure you can fight it and just make living there miserable for everyone, instead of just going to the laundry mat. Don't know why you would, but sounds like you are intent upon this course of action.

I think it is a silly hill to die on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 PM

890 posts, read 1,643,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure you can fight it and just make living there miserable for everyone, instead of just going to the laundry mat. Don't know why you would, but sounds like you are intent upon this course of action.

I think it is a silly hill to die on.
I really don't have the extra money to go to the laundromat and I'm only going to be living in the apartment for a little over 2 more weeks.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM

486 posts, read 410,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I really don't have the extra money to go to the laundromat and I'm only going to be living in the apartment for a little over 2 more weeks.
Good thing you didn't have to pay your fair share of utilities...

Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 PM

478 posts, read 413,310 times
Quote:
Good thing you didn't have to pay your fair share of utilities...
Good thing you’ve learned how to answer a question.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Good thing you’ve learned how to answer a question.
The questions have been answered over and over, the OP just doesn't like the answers being given.

Seriously, if someone can't afford the laundromat, how can they even hope of moving into a new place soon? And again, OP is lucky that they got the deal they got. Only paying half the rent and having all their utilities paid by the actual tenant on the lease and that person finally got sick of it and isn't even asking them to pay any of their fair share of utilities, just stop using the washer and dryer, OP has a great deal that's now slightly not as great and they're acting like they were illegally evicted via a lockout or something. If the laundromat is too expensive for this person, they have some much, much bigger issues they need to address, not their right to use a washer and dryer.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,419,739 times
Quote:
The questions have been answered over and over, the OP just doesn't like the answers being given.

Seriously, if someone can't afford the laundromat, how can they even hope of moving into a new place soon? And again, OP is lucky that they got the deal they got. Only paying half the rent and having all their utilities paid by the actual tenant on the lease and that person finally got sick of it and isn't even asking them to pay any of their fair share of utilities, just stop using the washer and dryer, OP has a great deal that's now slightly not as great and they're acting like they were illegally evicted via a lockout or something. If the laundromat is too expensive for this person, they have some much, much bigger issues they need to address, not their right to use a washer and dryer.
As noted earlier on, 3 loads a week is like $5 a month tops. Crikey.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM

I agree. If you look back at my responses, you will see I think the roommate is retarded if they think a few loads of laundry is the problem with the electric bill, it's obviously the heat being on more.

But, no matter how dumb the roommate is, there is no lease in this situation, so OP never got the right to the appliances or to not have to pay any part of utilities. They are coming out ahead in this deal, even without being able to use the washer and dryer.

OP then stated they couldn't afford the laundromat which brings a much, much bigger issue to light, their personal finances.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM

890 posts, read 1,643,846 times
Quote:
I agree. If you look back at my responses, you will see I think the roommate is retarded if they think a few loads of laundry is the problem with the electric bill, it's obviously the heat being on more.

But, no matter how dumb the roommate is, there is no lease in this situation, so OP never got the right to the appliances or to not have to pay any part of utilities. They are coming out ahead in this deal, even without being able to use the washer and dryer.

OP then stated they couldn't afford the laundromat which brings a much, much bigger issue to light, their personal finances.
I just got a new job, so at the moment I cannot afford it. But I can definitely afford my new apartment with my new salary🙂
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting