Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
........What do apt places normally ask for? I guess they do a background check. What are they looking for? If you pay them the deposit do you get the place or do they decide based on credit I guess? Do you get electric through them or find it on your own?........

Each landlord gets to set his own rental criteria, so different places are going to have different requirements.

You will be asked to fill in an application and to pay an application fee.

Expect to be asked to provide a government issued photo ID. The landlord will want proof of income, probably will run a credit report and a criminal background check. Some landlords will contact current and prior landlords to ask what kind of tenant you have been. Most landlords will check to make sure you have not been evicted before.

There are two ways the deposit might go. For some landlords, you will be approved first and then pay the deposit and sign the lease. For some landlords, you pay the deposit before you have been screened, and will get your deposit refunded (but not the application fee) if you fail the screening. You are going to have to ask about the deposit when you look at the apartment,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM

Utilities vary a lot. Sometimes the tenant pays all utilities. Some apartments have the cost of water, sewer, and garbage collection built into the rent. It's rare to have heat included, but a few older buildings have a heat system for the whole building, not for individual apartments, and in those buildings, the cost of the heat is built into your rent.

Tenants will pay for their own internet.

Some apartments include a parking space and some don't.

You might call the local utility companies and ask what sort of deposits they require for a new customer. If you have never been a customer, they are going to require a deposit, which might possibly be as much as a couple of hundred dollars. You need to know how much that will be so you can build it into your budget to make sure you have enough money to get into the new apartment. That would be the water company, electric company, gas company, and possibly the sewer and garbage company. The person who answers the phone there should be pleasant and helpful, so don't be afraid to call them.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:31 PM

If you are applying for an apartment out of your area, they are going to want to know how you will pay the rent, so you pretty much have to have your new job lined up before you can get an apartment.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Here is some wisdom from a current "renter".

1: They want your business, they can wave the "application " fee. Sure charge the true cost of pulling your credit record (usually 24.00$)........: or bring it with you..Its free once a year!
2: Never leave a deposit. Instead ask to see a copy of the actual lease you are going to sign. take it to a Legal Aide place. They can read it and pretty much tell you what the "gotchas" are in the lease.
3: If you are approved, and its meets your criterea, then and only then do you relinquish funds to meet the terms.
4: Yes, Utilities are standard to the lessee. Things like: sewer, garbage, electric, heating come to mind. They are extra and will be billed in a monthly cycle by the provider. Some even require first timer to have deposits to set up the new account.
5: Know the neighborhood! Just cause the outside is "presentable" doesn't mean the people are.
6: Usually its first and last months rent up front. Be clear on your Punch list for check in. You have certain rights at check in to be assured you aren't being held accountable for pre-existing damages.

Just because its in the lease, doesnt ALWAYS mean its legal. No matter how much they say you waived your rights at signing. Thus the STRONG recommendation to get it read and deciphered by a Legal personnel.

You may also need a co signor contingent on how your income or credit history is.

Usually a Less then 6 month will have a higher rate...as they prefer year leasing/renting.

Good luck in this experience...I learned the hard way how to be educated in renting...
You can't do a line item veto and cross things out in a lease that you don't like. Most are pretty standard. Take it or leave it.

They may have a non refundable cleaning fee that they call a deposit. They may require you to paint the place if you leave within a year. Some require 2 months notice some only one. Some states say that if you break the lease early you still have to pay all the remaining months, some states say the landlord is required to try to rerent it if you leave. Know your state laws first. I think Kansas has the most strict pro landlord rules and they can evict faster and easier.

Usually water is included in an apartment. Heat sometimes is included. Electric usually isn't. Find out about parking if you get your own space or if it's first come first serve and you may have to park on the street.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Here is the most important thing. On the lease you can ask them to write in things that are wrong with the place, or if not take pictures of videos of the place before you move in so they can't claim you did any damage and take the money out of your security deposit when you leave. If anything that was there like a fridge or stove or AC breaks they are responsible to fix it in a timely manner. One place I rented had the paint peeling from the bathtub, I thing they used the wrong process when they did it. Of course over three years it got worse, they wanted to charge me but I told them it was already existing and if they withheld any money they would see me in court and I got my full deposit back. There are rules for that too depending on the state. I think where I live they have to return it in two weeks if they don't plan to keep any, or return the difference in 30 days if they do plan to keep a portion.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Not sure how big your dog is but some places will say no pets and many who do accept pets will have a weight limit. You will also have to pay a pet deposit and there may be an additional charge each month for a pet so be sure to ask about that when you're asking about the rent.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
There are no pay stubs. Belle, you will need to do taxes for 2018 to have proof of employment/income.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You think the cheap mobile home parks don't have neighbors? Even stand alone cheap mobile homes have neighbors, it's best to even call a friend of neighbor and meet them at their house and tell them to come outside.

If someone is following you go to a police station or call 911
I'm not up on all the latest tech, but someone here will be. What about a find your phone app or something? Some follow the phone home at least? When I have been out of town in certain circumstances I have either bluffed or actually been on the phone with someone tracking me. But yes, you are right. Call 911 and immediately give location and direction of travel and then ask to stay on the phone.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
Thank you all for the help! i think I have found a place. It's a 1 bedroom with another smaller room (office). It is really cute! though the kitchen is pretty small. It has a fireplace in the living room too. They let you have pets too but there is a pet rent like some of you said.

i filled out an application after looking at it and they should let me know if I'll get it. they have to call my job to make sure that i am employed somewhere. I wasnt going to get an apt this soon but I just kept thinking about it and I think I'm going to go for it.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
Thank you all for the help! i think I have found a place. It's a 1 bedroom with another smaller room (office). It is really cute! though the kitchen is pretty small. It has a fireplace in the living room too. They let you have pets too but there is a pet rent like some of you said.

i filled out an application after looking at it and they should let me know if I'll get it. they have to call my job to make sure that i am employed somewhere. I wasnt going to get an apt this soon but I just kept thinking about it and I think I'm going to go for it.
I hope you get it! Fireplaces are awesome! I never would rent or buy a place w/o one. Cozy comfort in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting