Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 8,280 times

Advertisements

I live in California and have been trying to look up information on this, but have had no luck finding anything so far...

My parents are looking into renting a place and they have 2 dogs. The landlord is requiring them to pay a "pet deposit" for each dog, but requiring the dogs cannot go inside of the house (only in the yard). If you are required to pay a pet deposit, can the landlord decide where you put your dog on the premises?

It often gets above 90 degrees in the summer where we live in California (in the IE) and would seem cruel to leave to dogs outside in that heat, so if the landlord has jurisdiction on requiring the dogs be outside then this will be a deal breaker for signing a lease on this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,648,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisceleste View Post
I live in California and have been trying to look up information on this, but have had no luck finding anything so far...

My parents are looking into renting a place and they have 2 dogs. The landlord is requiring them to pay a "pet deposit" for each dog, but requiring the dogs cannot go inside of the house (only in the yard). If you are required to pay a pet deposit, can the landlord decide where you put your dog on the premises?

It often gets above 90 degrees in the summer where we live in California (in the IE) and would seem cruel to leave to dogs outside in that heat, so if the landlord has jurisdiction on requiring the dogs be outside then this will be a deal breaker for signing a lease on this place.
Find another place that LL is crazy. If they don't want pets in the house they should not allow pets at all.

and yes the LL can specify no dogs inside if they tell you ahead of time and you agree to it. The deposit can be for any outside damage they cause.

I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to force a dog to live outside 24/7.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,418,962 times
1. Dogs can destroy a yard as much as they can a house.

2. Do not keep your dogs outside 24/7.

3. Look for another place that allows dogs inside.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
My parents are looking into renting a place and they have 2 dogs.
The landlord is requiring them to pay a "pet deposit" for each dog,
but requiring the dogs cannot go inside of the house (only in the yard).
That's a very interesting approach to things. Sorta nuts but interesting.

Quote:
If you are required to pay a pet deposit,
can the landlord decide where you put your dog on the premises?
Sure. That's the easy part.

Quote:
...and would seem cruel to leave to dogs outside ...
Yeah. It sh/would be a whole lot simpler if the LL just refused to allow pets at all.

Hope Mom and Dad have other places to choose from.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Find another place that LL is crazy. If they don't want pets in the house they should not allow pets at all.

and yes the LL can specify no dogs inside if they tell you ahead of time and you agree to it. The deposit can be for any outside damage they cause.

I think it's cruel and unusual punishment to force a dog to live outside 24/7.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 PM

14,339 posts, read 11,837,307 times
Of course they have the right, they own the property. If you don't intend to keep them outside, then find a different place.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM

32,506 posts, read 47,521,327 times
Yes, a landlord can allow outdoor dogs only. Yes, the landlord can charge a deposit for outdoor dogs. My most expensive pet damage in my rentals has been done outdoors. Damaged landscaping is very expensive to repair.

And chewed siding on the house is extremely expensive to repair.

Scooping a bunch of dog poop after the tenant moves out is no fun and maybe hoping to get the deposit back will motivate the tenants to police the dog crap when they move out.

If the tenant is paying the utility bills, a large dog house can be fitted with a window air conditioner. A small window air conditioner doesn't cost much more than $100 and they aren't all that expensive to run. You can buy a used insulated dog house for not much and sometimes you can get one for free.

But, if you aren't happy with the arrangements, go and find something else to rent. You won't gain anything by arguing with the landlord about what you are allowed to do with your dogs. In Southern California, you are lucky to find any landlord who accepts pets at all.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 03-21-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM

32,506 posts, read 47,521,327 times
Incidentally and veering a bit off topic, I get a lot of calls from tenants who ask if I will accept a dog and they tell me that the dog is never allowed inside.

I don't accept outdoor only pets, but I assure you that there are a lot of tenants out there that have outdoor only pets, so that landlord won't have any problem finding tenants with outdoor only dogs.

It doesn't take much effort to set up housing conditions for the dogs where they will be comfortable, especially in Southern California where it doesn't get too cold or outrageously hot.

I suggest that your parents look around to see if they can find a "dogs accepted" place to rent before they refuse the outdoor pets rental. There might not be anything better available.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,900,529 times
Quote:

My lease stipulates that my cat is not allowed to go outside. That is fine with me, because I don't want her going outside either. It's just not safe, with us living one door away from the corner of a major thoroughfare that gets a lot of traffic during rush hour.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,724,729 times
He can do that - but your parents shouldn't rent from him. Believe me, if before they even lease up, they're thinking, "Is the LL allowed to do that", then this is absolutely NOT the place for them!!!!!

Run, run away fast from this LL. Find a LL that allows pets, and inside the house. Better yet, see if they can somehow buy their own home, so they don't have to deal with LL issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting