Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times

Advertisements

Have you figured out how much you'll make after various costs and work on this and if it's worth it?

I think #6 post is good.

Are you familiar with courts/judges/legal and social opinions in your area? On the one hand, I'd like all that I was owed, too. I also read dispassionately how your situation could be presented to and viewed by a judge. Woman due and notice to leave a week before due date, husband "begs". Husband "feels bad". Wife could give birth any time now and blame any problem on the stress involved with moving/finances/mean landlord property owner.

I've been where you are and won. In fact the judge was furious at the other side and lit into them about wasting the court's time, knowing better, honoring obligations...

But the thing in your case is the mom carrying the baby to court and the mature owner of properties...and on your part how much will you make after costs to make this worth the squeeze.

Again, 6 is a good idea to at least get something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 01:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
It's not complex. He was on a M2M lease for April. He did not give proper notice.

You can keep the deposit. He agreed to rent for April, and he did not give notice in time. He could have agreed to an extra month, and then changed his mind with proper 60-day notice.

If he gave you a 60-day notice, which is what you needed to give him, no extra month of rent due. Since it was only a ~week, he owes.
Yes, this should be correct, unless he notified you in advance, according to the terms of his lease. He went to month to month, by virtue of not having notified you that he was leaving at the end of the lease, AND by virtue of the texts in which he asked to stay another month.

He's out of luck. Check your laws in your state, but in my state, you can keep his deposit to pay for April. I agree, however, with mitigating his loss as much as possible, by asking the new owners of your house if they'd be willing to shorten the rent-back period, so that you could leave earlier. Also, this is a perfect opportunity to do any work on the place before you move back in - paint, carpets cleaned, floors refinished, etc.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Keep his deposit, ask the buyer of your home if theyvwould like to take possession earlier, and prorate rent for your used days. Many times they would love to move in earlier. If they dont, then abide by your agreement and pay the rent as agreed.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:02 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wait a minute bud. You made a deal with your buyer now you want to renege on the deal. Does that sound familiar? It should. You understand the word hypocrite? Why would it be ok for you to do it and not for your tenant. It’s business. Either learn how to do it or get out of it. Sometimes things don’t go your way. That’s just the way it is. I wouldn’t do anything like give you a refund either. Why would I do that?
Sparky, I think you got your wires crossed and got shocked for nothing!

The OP said they did not see getting relief from their buyer, they even explained why they could no longer renege.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Keep the security deposit for not giving proper notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting