Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 35,167 times

Advertisements

This is for Dryer Vent Cleaning and Chimney Inspection: $90

Situation:
I rent a condo from a private owner. The condo association requires that every two years the dryer vents and chimney get professionally cleaned- the cost of which is $90.
I do not pay the condo association fees (paid by landlord).
The lease has one line in that says "Tenant is responsible for any repairs below $150"

Should I pay it or have my landlord pay?
On one hand it's below $150 dollars so I might be responsible.
On the other it's not a repair, but regular required maintenance, so it seems to fall under the landlords responsibility.

In addition, I am moving out on 5/15 as per landlords request as she is selling the property. I moved in on 11/15/2017 (so only a year and a half).

What's everyone's thoughts - i want to be fair about this but also don't want to pay for something i shouldn't.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM

23,286 posts, read 18,810,120 times
As you mentioned, it probably depends on the definition of "repair" versus "maintenance". Also assuming that the condo management doesn't get the vents cleaned by a contractor (and then bill the costs to each unit)...each resident arranges to get it done individually. Cleaning the dryer vent isn't a repair of something that isn't functional, but how you the tenant use the dryer affects what it takes to clean it. I'd clarify the lease phrase with the LL first. If you really decide to pursue it you could check with the condo management to see if other tenants pay it but they might not know.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
that request from the HOA is directed to the OWNER- not you. It is not a repair - it's maintenance.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Yep, it's maintenance. And honestly? It's 4/6. What could be the consequence of you ignoring this directive for 5 weeks? You don't report to the condo association. They have no leverage over you.

Don't do it.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:45 PM

I had it done a couple days ago. It had to be done by the end of April otherwise there would be a $100/month fine. I was thinking of sending the receipt to my landlord and telling her I would deduct the cost from my rent check.

To make matters more complicated, my landlord lives out of the country which was why I had to set everything up.

Does anyone think that I should be responsible for it?

(FYI, it was done by an independent contractor, not setup by the condo association. $90 was their standard fee and it has nothing to do with dyer use).

Old 04-06-2019, 07:48 PM

did anyone contact, send a notice, to your Landlord? The Condo Assoc since they know she doesn't live here?

No matter what, send her the notice AND the bill AND your receipt and tell her you are subtracting from your rent ---
but didn't you say you were leaving and isn't your last months rent already paid?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 PM

The condo association sent an email out to everyone (both myself and the landlord were on the email). I told her I would setup an appointment. I didn't say I would pay, I was hoping she would offer it up but all she said was "thnx".

I still have one last rent check to pay. I'm in NJ, and at sign in I pay for first month rent and 1 1/2 month deposit. I don't pay first and last. So I still have one check left to pay for the period April 15 to May 15th.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Then do what I said - send her the notice and the receipt and a note saying you will deduct this maintenance that the HOA ordered from your next check.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Then do what I said - send her the notice and the receipt and a note saying you will deduct this maintenance that the HOA ordered from your next check.
Thanks! I wish I thought of that

Old 04-06-2019, 10:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
It’s a maintenance item not a repair. I wouldn’t pay it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting