Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You want to make it a Christian behavior issue, go ahead and move him into your spare bedroom because it is the Christian thing to do.... but whatever he got fired for, maybe you don't want that behavior living in your house?
Well, they're a church so yes, I would expect them to exhibit some Christian behavior. Practice what they preach and all that.

Of course there are some exceptions such as if the employee was embezzling funds or being inappropriate with minors. Now if said employee was fired for incompetence, give him/her a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 30 days to find someplace else to go.

A week would probably be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Why would anyone WANT to stay in that situation after being fired?
It could be a NEED for time to find someplace else to live.

Also, OP never indicate that this employee wished to stay. Just that it didn't seem right that they could be required to vacate with no notice and she was asking if the employee was protected by tenant laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 AM

14 posts, read 7,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Well, they're a church so yes, I would expect them to exhibit some Christian behavior. Practice what they preach and all that.

Of course there are some exceptions such as if the employee was embezzling funds or being inappropriate with minors. Now if said employee was fired for incompetence, give him/her a reasonable amount of time not to exceed 30 days to find someplace else to go.

A week would probably be sufficient.

It could be a NEED for time to find someplace else to live.

Also, OP never indicate that this employee wished to stay. Just that it didn't seem right that they could be required to vacate with no notice and she was asking if the employee was protected by tenant laws.

Thank you.

The employee was fired for alleged procedural violations. Time is exactly what was needed here for the employee to secure another place to live.

This is a non-profit organization and wages are quite low compared to the average. People work here because they believe in the Christian values the organization espouses, not because they are going to make a lot of money - many are barely eking out a living, and a number of employees are subsidized by state health insurance and food stamps.

I am considering emailing the headquarters to ask about the legalities of the eviction, using a private email account. I'm just concerned they may track the email back to me, which would put me in a bad position at work.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 PM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteS. View Post
I am considering emailing the headquarters to ask about the legalities of the eviction, using a private email account. I'm just concerned they may track the email back to me, which would put me in a bad position at work.
Email a tenants rights organization, not the headquarters. They can even write a letter for you.

If you stay, they may be able to evict you, however they would have to have cause. Being a holdover after notice would be one. Not paying rent might be another. If your rent was paid for the month/week, you should be OK for a bit. You should be able to negotiate a move out date. Maybe you have to pay a daily rate. Yoi are either on a term (i.e. annual) lease, or a month-to-month lease.

If the cops were called because you did not vacate, the cops would tell the caller that an eviction would have to take place. It would have to have cause. Getting fired is not a cause, not paying rent or holdover is.

Last edited by FIREin2016; 04-12-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Email a tenants rights organization, not the headquarters. They can even write a letter for you.

If you stay, they may be able to evict you, however they would have to have cause. Being a holdover after notice would be one. Not paying rent might be another. If your rent was paid for the month/week, you should be OK for a bit. You should be able to negotiate a move out date. Maybe you have to pay a daily rate. Yoi are either on a term (i.e. annual) lease, or a month-to-month lease.

If the cops were called because you did not vacate, the cops would tell the caller that an eviction would have to take place. It would have to have cause. Getting fired is not a cause, not paying rent or holdover is.
Thank you for this information.

The eviction has already occurred. This involved another employee in the company. I am asking if the company had legal standing to throw this employee out on the street on the day of termination.

I wanted to know this because I am certain this situation will happen again at some point in the future. I imagine that most individuals in this situation would leave as soon as they were asked to, under the assumption that they were obligated to do so. I wanted to have information to give them so that they could at least make an informed choice as to what to do.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

People work here because they believe in the Christian values the organization espouses, not because they are going to make a lot of money ...
The Christian values?

Are they confusing Jesus with Santa Claus? Christianity isn't a free-for-all. You don't just get to take and take from the church with no accountability.

Are you certain you know the entire story, all the details? Before you email anyone be sure you know all the facts.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:58 PM

I know all of the details because I work in Human Resources and have access to them.

No one here expects the church to be Santa Claus.

Everyone here expects the church to follow the law. The church needs to be accountable along with its employees.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

I know all of the details because I work in Human Resources and have access to them.
So you know the exact reason the person was fired?

Quote:

No one here expects the church to be Santa Claus.
You're that certain about the thoughts of others?

It sounds like "the church" is making bad decisions on the front end by allowing situations that probably aren't legal. The eviction seems worse, of course, but if they were following the law on the front end the eviction wouldn't be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting