Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Thats ONLY for california. And if a tenant fid those things, i would certainly find a reason to evict, andvif it sold, the new owner will pretty much be guaranteed not to renew the lease.

If you tried to evict, you would find yourself not getting a cent in rent for many months and likely not win a cent after evicting. Welcome to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
What do you mean the security deposit goes to the buyer to hold? You mean we won't get it back? That's our deposit the we are supposed to get at the end of the lease as long as the house is still in good condition. Our lease is up in 6 weeks so I don't think a new owner would take possession that soon but I could be wrong. I also don't know how they would have any idea of what it looked like when we moved in vs what it looks like now (basically the same) unless there was obvious tenant caused damage so I don't see how they could be the ones to give it back to us or not.
You have a bunch of legal ways to get your full deposit back in CA. The laws here are designed to help you get your full deposit back, and keep bad landlords from taking it from you.

If you have any problems and you don't get the answers here, start a new thread and I can help you. But bottom line, just search for California Department of Consumer Affairs landlord tenant handbook, and you should find what you need.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 PM

242 posts, read 184,349 times
Thank you all - looks like we won't have to worry about a ton of showings as the first one put in and offer and the house is in escrow already! The pest inspector came by today and the full inspection is next week. We only have a couple weeks to find another place and it's becoming very apparent what a good deal we had here - here we go....

Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A small building I managed was being sold... it was 3 units.

Tenants all said they liked living there but that is all they had in common.

One kept the unit immaculate and the buyers were so impressed they offered to extend the lease for another years on the same terms...

Another unit was most difficult and the buyers conditioned their purchase on having this unit vacant... they simply were not going to deal with changed locks and the police being called when proper advance notice was given...

On my own units I have offered incentives... and my Realtor was famous for giving out gift cards to tenants.

The market is still very strong in many areas...

Old 05-08-2019, 01:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Here it is 24 hrs notice or so I thought but his email stated he and other realtors would be “popping by” with people buyers when in the area. I would assume boxes and such are not “show ready” as he indicated. I’m not planning on being a pill about it. I obviously want to do the right thing and while he could show it with us there it would probably be easier for him if we left early or so I’m assuming since he seems to be in a rush with the market.
Nah.....you tell him that the appointments must be scheduled with a 24 hour notice. I’m a LL and I would never pop in even if I was selling. If I was selling the house would be vacant.

If he says no tell him you will be more than happy to leave early if he refunds your security deposit in full and gives you one month rent as a cash for keys deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting