Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Please get the dog away from them. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that.
Maybe a call to CPS is in order as well next time they start up again.
We called the police and the dog warden when he beat the dog. They went to talk to him, but didn't do anything. I tried to get them to give up the dog, and they wouldn't. It pained me, but there really was nothing I could do to help the poor animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Don't get personally involved, ever. In some areas the police will notify CPS if something like this happens and there are arrests. In my area, the police have been known to notify CPS even if there is NOT an arrest.

Leave the dog alone. No need to get involved at that level. You'll potentially be in the middle of a "custody battle" over a dog.

OP, review your lease for a crime-free section. If you have it, read it. I'm fairly sure my lease does not require a conviction in order to exercise it. Civil and criminal courts operate on different standards. If you don't have a crime-free section, put one in all of your new leases. If a tenant violates it, evict them immediately. In my experience, when a tenant has to deal with a criminal charge, rent is late for quite some time if it's paid at all. Bond/bondsmen, attorneys, time off of work, fines and fees....which do you think is getting paid first? The money that keeps them out of jail or the rent? I think you know the answer.

If these two are married and this is a regular thing, get them out of your property unless you want to be known for that kind of thing. There is nothing quite like the regular appearance of the police to drive down the desirability of your property. People notice this stuff and they talk about it.

And get their agreement to vacate in writing if you haven't.
I am absolutely sure that DCF will be notified. And yes, I told them that they would have to sign a paper (separately) that they are each giving up their rights to the unit.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This says a lot about the fact that you need to be screening your tenants better. You shouldn't have to know about disturbing the peace in addition to non-payment of rent.

You really need to learn the landlord tenant laws. This is your business. It's not too hard for you to learn. There is no excuse not to know the landlord tenant laws where your business is rentals.
It's a low rent district. These people had no eviction filings or civil filings against them, they had the deposit, and they had enough income. There was no way to know about the potential for domestic violence.

Admittedly, I don't know as much about LL-tenant law as a LL-tenant attorney would. But I am quite familiar with the LL-tenant law in my state. We were lucky in that the court clerks know and love my husband, who is the nicest guy in the world. They told him that the quickest way to get them out, other than non-payment of rent, was "Serious Nuisance" (and that would include criminal activity), so that's what we put on the Notice to Quit.

I'm just lucky that they both seem to understand that they need to leave before I file the eviction. I feel bad for the kids. I have a feeling that the dog will wind up at the humane society.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's a low rent district. These people had no eviction filings or civil filings against them, they had the deposit, and they had enough income. There was no way to know about the potential for domestic violence.

Admittedly, I don't know as much about LL-tenant law as a LL-tenant attorney would. But I am quite familiar with the LL-tenant law in my state. We were lucky in that the court clerks know and love my husband, who is the nicest guy in the world. They told him that the quickest way to get them out, other than non-payment of rent, was "Serious Nuisance" (and that would include criminal activity), so that's what we put on the Notice to Quit.

I'm just lucky that they both seem to understand that they need to leave before I file the eviction. I feel bad for the kids. I have a feeling that the dog will wind up at the humane society.
Aren't you also in CA? Even in low rent districts, you can have high criteria. It's nice to have court clerks who like your husband, but it might save you money in the long run to screen your tenants better. Not meaning to be critical, just saying if your purpose is to turn a profit, you might want to look harder into screening. In my experience that is the most crucial factor as far as profits goes. The only time I faced a problem with tenants was when the owner told me to lower my standards. But you can still have high standards in lower rent areas - just because rents are lower, doesn't mean you have to let anyone move in.

Just saying, you seem to be excusing the problem you're having because of the location of your rental, and I don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting