Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 17,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Clearly she manipulated you, do you have written agreement with her? I assume no because she is changing terms left and right and you seem to be going along with it. She already been informed by the management company that you are moving out in 30 days. She can say anything she wants but in 30 days you should be gone from the day of the notice. Basically tell her to deal with it and that is it. You might have to sue her in small claim court for the pet deposit that you gave to her as I am not seeing her willingly giving that back to you.
She told me about the rent switch 2 week's ago and I told her I was not okay with that and it was extremely unfair, and she said she would just get a roommate and move her office into her room. Which hasn't happened. And after only getting a $500 check from her as" her half" 2 week's into the month. I gave my notice. I dont owe her anything, I've been on time with all my bills, rent, cleaning ect. My deposit ls locked with her for another year, witch is when her lease is up. Or if she moves out. She claims my dog ruined the carpet, but theres no evidence & I have before pics and will take after pics just in case. She also claims I broke screens and the windows in the living room, when she was the one who ripped out the window latch. I made dowels to keep the windows open, and she claims they were "too big" and broke the windows. And shes telling me this a year later? I measured the dowels, and asked her to submit a maintenance request to fix the windows, but she refuses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM

7,019 posts, read 6,230,384 times
Don't say it out loud, but in your mind tell her to pound sand. DO be careful what you say as apparently she will take things out of context and try to use that against you.

Just move. She's abused the roommate relationship, you've given notice and that should be all you're concerned with.

She may try to keep your deposit so consider it gone, unless you want to take her to court. In the end, it's a small price to pay for lesson learned.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:46 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,529,427 times
When you do not have a written contract, state law shall be what guides you. Without more information, we can't say if 30 days is enough(but it usually is in most states).

You've given notice. She obviously doesn't want you to go because you are a golden goose. That's not your problem though. Don't worry about the deposit, you can deal with that after you move out by suing her in small claims court.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:52 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,112,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexx122 View Post
She told me about the rent switch 2 week's ago and I told her I was not okay with that and it was extremely unfair, and she said she would just get a roommate and move her office into her room. Which hasn't happened. And after only getting a $500 check from her as" her half" 2 week's into the month. I gave my notice. I dont owe her anything, I've been on time with all my bills, rent, cleaning ect. My deposit ls locked with her for another year, witch is when her lease is up. Or if she moves out. She claims my dog ruined the carpet, but theres no evidence & I have before pics and will take after pics just in case. She also claims I broke screens and the windows in the living room, when she was the one who ripped out the window latch. I made dowels to keep the windows open, and she claims they were "too big" and broke the windows. And shes telling me this a year later? I measured the dowels, and asked her to submit a maintenance request to fix the windows, but she refuses

In that case stop talking to her as it's just not worth it. Move in 30 days and forget about her. At the end of the day she is responsible for the lease being it's her name on it.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:22 AM

State of Texas requires a 30 day (depending on the lease, apartments are usually 60) if you're not on the lease, you can do anywhere from 0-60 days depending on the situation. In march she said she needed help with the rent and she would pay me back. So I covered it. On the 16th of April she gave me a check for less than half of what she owed and the "talk/yell fest" we had on the 13th of April she said she was changing rent. State law requires a 30 day notice for rent change, not 2 weeks. And once a notice has been given, it can not be alerted unless approved by the landord, she may be on the lease, but shes not in charge of it. So im well within my rights, my mom thinks I should get the police involved if she becomes hostile.... this is making me worry

Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Don't say it out loud, but in your mind tell her to pound sand. DO be careful what you say as apparently she will take things out of context and try to use that against you.

Just move. She's abused the roommate relationship, you've given notice and that should be all you're concerned with.

She may try to keep your deposit so consider it gone, unless you want to take her to court. In the end, it's a small price to pay for lesson learned.
I agree with this.

AND - start moving your valuables out NOW. Don't make a big deal of it. Find a place to store them and get them out.

Next time you live with a roommate - get a written agreement.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 AM

I don't really own anything at the moment of value besides my dog... I just moved here and have only lived in this place a year and a half.

Ive lived with roommates my whole life and this one takes the cake.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM

73 posts, read 44,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree with this.

AND - start moving your valuables out NOW. Don't make a big deal of it. Find a place to store them and get them out.

Next time you live with a roommate - get a written agreement.

I agree with this. Start moving your items out now, even to a storage locker in case she pulls some crap like changing the locks. When the 30 days is due, leave and do not look back.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,529,427 times
Quote:
State of Texas requires a 30 day (depending on the lease, apartments are usually 60) if you're not on the lease, you can do anywhere from 0-60 days depending on the situation. In march she said she needed help with the rent and she would pay me back. So I covered it. On the 16th of April she gave me a check for less than half of what she owed and the "talk/yell fest" we had on the 13th of April she said she was changing rent. State law requires a 30 day notice for rent change, not 2 weeks. And once a notice has been given, it can not be alerted unless approved by the landord, she may be on the lease, but shes not in charge of it. So im well within my rights, my mom thinks I should get the police involved if she becomes hostile.... this is making me worry
So you already have loaned her money and she didn't pay you back. I'd move at the end of the month and that's only because you've already paid for May, right? No point in helping out someone this deceptive.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 AM

6,394 posts, read 3,871,076 times
Quote:
So are YOU paying the rent and then she's paying you back?? That's backward from what I'd expect if the situation is as you say (she's on the lease, you're the roommate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
But, did she follow the correct way to give notice, per her state laws?

In my state, it has to be written notice sent certified mail.
If OP isn't on the lease with the actual landlord, and doesn't have some sort of paperwork legally making the roommate their landlord, do they owe any notice at all, from a legal standpoint? What could the roommate possibly sue them for, if there's no lease, no contract, nothing spelling out terms under which OP can move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting