Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM

54 posts, read 190,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How does he get his groceries, are they delivered, or does he leave the complex to go shopping?
Everything is delivered and he has them put it in front of his door due to his claimed "disability". He won't leave the building because he knows cops can and will arrest him him if they catch him out of his apt. He dumps his big bags of trash in the hallway now when previously, he'd go outside to the alley and drop them in front of the trash bins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow, that looked and sounded awful.

We had a neighbor who had/has mental health issues and while on his meds was docile and sweet. He then quit taking them and was violent, had loud music and was shouting night and day.

When he threatened an elder woman, the apartment manager called his family and they came and were able to calm him down and get him into a pysch facility.

There should be a contact name on his original application. I'm amazed his family or, since he seems psychotic, his case manager hasn't been contacted. The person obviously is not taking his meds if he's on them, or has had a psychotic break.
Yikes, that definitely sounds familiar and at least we don't get the loud music from the guy!

Actually, after the lockout attempts the Sheriff Dept said they wanted to get a hold of the mother and get her to talk him out of the apt peacefully. Talking to a Sheriff last week I asked about that and they said the family can't even deal with him because he goes crazy on them and they have to 51/50 him. I also know the FBI has been out here, (terroristic threats to kill everyone) so I'm pretty sure his family has been contacted by FBI, Police, Sheriff and the landlord...no dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Another thing you can try is to call the police captain and find out why nothing is being done or get all tenants together to sign a letter and send it to the mayor and the chief of police and get people's names and follow up. . Whoever called the news did a good thing too the police chief would hate to have his name on police as would the mayor in a negative connotation. I would look into package rules and if they are too big or cause a disturbance in the hallway try anything you can to get this guy out, he's either evil, crazy or both.

And the police can't claim that he hasn't done anything because he has made threats against people which is a crime. You can ask the cop to file a report every time they come and ask how you can get a copy. Every tenant that has a problem with this person can go to the police and file a report themselves too. A long time ago I had a problem with a former coworker friend and he got fired and was mad at everyone so he said to me "I know where you park your car where you live" so I went in and filed a police report, that way if something happened they would know who did it.
Thanks, I don't think any tenants have called the police captain specifically, maybe landlord but that's a good question to ask them.

We have been looking into package rules. Sheriff suggested stopping local delivery to the apt and have us pick up only at pick up locations, (like Amazon lockers or so). However he claims "disabilities" so that might screw everyone except for him. People have moved his boxes all the way to the door entrance, (and under the mail boxes) so he does have to walk out into the hallway to get his packages/mail...but only when there's no officers around of course. He is also a very QUICK walker when it's time for that!

Didn't think about just filing a report, will mention that to the my neighbors, good idea since the other day police never even bothered to show up the 2nd time they were called, (he tried kicking down a door across the hallway). I'd wager we just get the "Well, we're short 20 officers and have tons of homeless complaint calls already so we'll deal with it when we can" line...

One tenant has filed a restraining order against him, (Betty in the video). Problem is nobody seems to be able to serve him with the papers and I think you have to do that before a certain time expires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 02:10 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
That's what you get in areas where the police get no public support.

They will be criticized, maybe be sued or lose their job if they put so much as a tiny bruise on Mr Crazy. Maybe there will be a video going viral of them abusing the poor mentally ill man when they have to drag him to the patrol car.

There will be protesters blocking traffic downtown carrying signs that say "crazy lives matter too". Then the city will be sued for violating his civil rights.

That's why the police are giving you no help with the uncooperative man. He's not out in public and doesn't seem to be violating too many laws. They don't have to deal with him, so they won't.

Maybe someone in your building would volunteer to let the guy beat them up? Then maybe you could get him arrested.. but I'd bet he will be released on his own recognizance and be right back into his apartment.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
So you even made CBS news and the landlord and sheriff still won't get him out??
Lol yeah, plus Lisa Guerrero and Inside Edition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-VnBI2Mho

Telemundo as well...

https://www.telemundo52.com/fotosyvi...507816222.html

Sheriff is afraid of "bad press" if something "goes wrong". They also said they don't wanna taze him since he might get killed if he falls down lol

Old 05-12-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's what you get in areas where the police get no public support.

They will be criticized, maybe be sued or lose their job if they put so much as a tiny bruise on Mr Crazy. Maybe there will be a video going viral of them abusing the poor mentally ill man when they have to drag him to the patrol car.

There will be protesters blocking traffic downtown carrying signs that say "crazy lives matter too". Then the city will be sued for violating his civil rights.

That's why the police are giving you no help with the uncooperative man. He's not out in public and doesn't seem to be violating too many laws. They don't have to deal with him, so they won't.

Maybe someone in your building would volunteer to let the guy beat them up? Then maybe you could get him arrested.. but I'd bet he will be released on his own recognizance and be right back into his apartment.
Yeah, that's my theory. He's basically put himself under "house arrest" so who cares? We'll just wait until he smashes someone's brains in with a hammer or burns down the apt THEN we'll go get him!

So much for "warning signs".

I don't see how they would portray him as a victim though. I mean he's not like a 17 year old *unarmed* black kid. He's a 40 year old white dude wearing hats/bandannas adorned with Ol' Glory, (conservative alert!) screaming N%#$@R!!, death threats and nonsense. Plus we all have tons of video and audio of him doing these things. Police records continuing to pile up.

I get what your saying though of course. I guess it depends on who's controlling the narrative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Move.
You mean run away? No thanks, I was here first plus I'm not the one who is evicted from the building.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
This is insane , the cops need to sit in an apt and wait til he comes out. Or they need to just break down the door, he could hurt some one . This is a situation that is only going to get worse.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Frankly, I'd just get a couple/few neighbors together to go and tackle and hold him down in the hallway when he goes out to get a package that you all move until the police get there. I'd take the chance of a misdemeanor battery charge to get rid of this guy.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:17 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I'm wonder if there is a common area fire alarm that could be pulled by the police or a resident in the middle of the night and have the police waiting out of sight. While he might not come out normally I wonder if a fire alarm going off might cause him to come out. Obviously this would take some coordination with the fire department and the sheriff.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
This is insane , the cops need to sit in an apt and wait til he comes out. Or they need to just break down the door, he could hurt some one . This is a situation that is only going to get worse.
The apt next to his is open now that the (black) young woman just moved out due to banging on common wall all night and screaming racial obscenities all night, (plus the constant rape threats).

When last talking to police or sheriff, (last week) we mentioned they should stay in that apt. They basically said, yeah but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'm wonder if there is a common area fire alarm that could be pulled by the police or a resident in the middle of the night and have the police waiting out of sight. While he might not come out normally I wonder if a fire alarm going off might cause him to come out. Obviously this would take some coordination with the fire department and the sheriff.
There's actually been a couple times the fire alarm has gone off, (non emergency) while he's in there and he doesn't come out or even make a peep when firefighters are inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Frankly, I'd just get a couple/few neighbors together to go and tackle and hold him down in the hallway when he goes out to get a package that you all move until the police get there. I'd take the chance of a misdemeanor battery charge to get rid of this guy.
HAHA! Yes, this has been discussed Your idea could be a REAL possibility if this keeps up much longer. I've never been arrested lol maybe I'll just add that to the ol' "Bucket List"!

Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I think oregonwoodsmoke hit on something important regarding public support. The interesting thing is this a perfect scenario for a mental health hold. Seriously, it's textbook.

I'm admittedly not aware of the procedures and rules regarding a lockout in CA. I would want to know why the landlord didn't imply unlock the door and allow the Sheriff to go in and serve the guy with the papers. Is there a rule similar to repossessions where once it becomes no longer peaceful, the attempt must be abandoned?

I think my order of attack at this point would be talk to the landlord, talk to the sheriff, then talk to your local state rep if neither of the prior options gained any favorable answers. Maybe call the city or county attorney and ask them what the problem is.

I have some suspicions that the current political climate in CA may have something to do with this as well. Lots of talk about homelessness and mental health. Perhaps they don't want a nutcase to be on the streets. Being CA, it could be one of a thousand different things.

Another person to talk to would be the judge that ordered the eviction. In a very polite way, you could ask him if there is any reason one of his orders could go unenforced. I would tread lightly there because some judges don't like that kind of thing. It's probably best left to the state rep or city/county attorney. Call it a last resort.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I think oregonwoodsmoke hit on something important regarding public support. The interesting thing is this a perfect scenario for a mental health hold. Seriously, it's textbook.

I'm admittedly not aware of the procedures and rules regarding a lockout in CA. I would want to know why the landlord didn't imply unlock the door and allow the Sheriff to go in and serve the guy with the papers. Is there a rule similar to repossessions where once it becomes no longer peaceful, the attempt must be abandoned?

I think my order of attack at this point would be talk to the landlord, talk to the sheriff, then talk to your local state rep if neither of the prior options gained any favorable answers. Maybe call the city or county attorney and ask them what the problem is.

I have some suspicions that the current political climate in CA may have something to do with this as well. Lots of talk about homelessness and mental health. Perhaps they don't want a nutcase to be on the streets. Being CA, it could be one of a thousand different things.

Another person to talk to would be the judge that ordered the eviction. In a very polite way, you could ask him if there is any reason one of his orders could go unenforced. I would tread lightly there because some judges don't like that kind of thing. It's probably best left to the state rep or city/county attorney. Call it a last resort.
A few months ago when cops were here, they wanted to do a 51/50 on him, (initial 48 hour hold for evaluation) and even told property manager SWAT was coming, (they called that off) but he never comes out when police are around so they can't get at him. LA Dept of Health Services also had agents out here with Sheriff dept on the 2nd lockout attempt as well. The Sheriff has the key to the apt. He just cussed them out and blocked the door when they tried going in. They all ended up leaving after that and there's been no lockout attempts since, (January).

We're having a meeting with the landlord tomorrow, (for the 2nd time). We were told a few weeks ago that "Things are moving at a state level now" so maybe we'll get some info if that's true or not. There were 2 officers from the Sheriff Dept here last week talking to us and basically said "There's no way we're going to go in and get that guy".

We're, (tenants) currently looking into getting an attorney as well.

It seems there were some revisions for the eviction/lockout process...

Quote:
Due to an increase in issues arising from eviction cases throughout the state of California, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has revised its eviction instructions to assist with threat assessment, relocation, access and entry issues. We understand this information might not be readily available to the attorney, but it should be accessible via the landlord/owner client. There are rental applications, lease agreements, apartment managers, or maintenance personnel that will have the answers to these questions. In addition, many delays are caused with evictions due to Sheriff’s personnel being unable to evict an elderly person, a disabled person, or a person with special needs. Having this information would help expedite evictions for all involved, as it would allow us to contact Adult Protective Services (APS) or other appropriate agencies in advance, and have the proper placement and transportation for those in need
Information Guide for WRIT OF POSSESSION (REAL PROPERTY) - EVICTION

He is considered as, "disabled".

CBS was out here again today and just did a follow up on the story...

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/vide...bor-nightmare/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting