Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times

Advertisements

Those of you who charge app fees, be honest, how much does it actually cost you to get the report in relation to the fee you charge?

Answer this way:

I charge $___ app fee.
I pay $___ for the report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthermaze View Post
I wonder if they share their findings. At lest that would be a way to look up your history.
You can get your own credit report and score for free.

You should know what they would find on any background checks--court judgments, arrests, convictions, etc.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 2,740 times
True. I think my credit score is the only unknown i have

Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
[quote=adjusterjack;55185762]Those of you who charge app fees, be honest, how much does it actually cost you to get the report in relation to the

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 05-15-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Those of you who charge app fees, be honest, how much does it actually cost you to get the report in relation to the fee you charge?

Answer this way:

I charge $___ app fee.
The fee for what I use is 22.95 to 29.95 depending on what level of depth. However, I do additional investigation on my own that takes time, so the fee and what it's actually paying for aren't cut-and-dried.

I do tell anyone upfront what the criteria is, what will pass and what won't, what can be done to shore up a deficiency in criteria and I always give all applicants a copy of all docs when the screening is completed. That way, if someone lied and lost a fee they can't accuse me of being a scammer with application fees.

It also saves ME time because I'm not getting rich off these fees. I'd rather tell someone upfront that they won't pass the screening and let them keep their money. There is no reason to be a hard-ass about this stuff, and LL's who make this often stressful step for applicants too difficult should be slapped.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:

Answer this way:

I charge $___ app fee.
I charge no app fee.
Applicants that actually pass all of my free screening I do will pay for the cost of the report, between $40 and $65 depending on the service I decide to use.

The report isn't the only part of screening though and those people's time needs to be compensated for. It costs time, utilities, and gas to do showings, it costs time to make phone calls to go through references, and for those of us that do it, it costs time and gas to visit the applicants current address to take a look. If you factor in all of my time spent on showings alone I'm out a couple hundred dollars, unless you don't value my time but that is a different discussion.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

Answer this way:
Ed.

I charge $___ app fee.

I charge whatever I get charged. Depending on the amount of info I want the report to give me I think it runs anywhere from 29 to 39 bucks. I usually go for the full report. This applies to anyone over 18.i liked smrtmove by transunion because the tenant paid for the report so nobody could claim I took their money.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
We don't charge any fee to be approved to be added to the waiting list. Applicants complete a waiting list application (same as a rental application) that they complete and is reviewed by the Property Manger. If the application doesn't contain any DQ's, the person is added to the waiting list in order of receipt. Once a unit is or is becoming available, the next person is contacted to see if they are still interested. Once a person wants to continue with the application process for the available unit, they complete a revised application and pay a fee of $26.00 which is about the actual cost. We aren't some hard-up slumlord that makes money off application fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting