Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 AM
FTD FTD started this thread

7 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Rent was discussed upfront. She is a friend. She lived with me and my family for 2 months rent free as she had nowhere to live. We discussed rent for the 3rd month and forward and agreed on $600 for 1 bedroom. I helped her get a full time job, open a bank account and pull herself back into reality as she was living in her car. After about a year, her daughter also moved in as my friend didn't have a home and obviously her daughter wasn't living with her and living elsewhere. I then gave them 2 bedrooms and charged her $700 a month. It was agreed that she lives with us as family and everything is included for that $700/mth; food, laundry, heat, hot water, electricity, cable, tv, internet, parking...everything. I've never asked her to do anything around the house like shovel snow, clean anything or mow grass etc. All i've ever asked of her is to not bring and store food in their rooms. They continue to do so. Rotten fruit, snacks, dirty dishes etc. Also...her daughter is a PIG, yes a PIG. Shes 16 and doesn't EVER clean her room. There are dirty snot tissues, trash, empty water bottles along with food all throughout her room. I'm annoyed because we are/were??? friends and i'm stuck between their rooms are none of my business as they pay me rent and shes supposed to be my friend and shes trashing my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,641,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Rent was discussed upfront. She is a friend. She lived with me and my family for 2 months rent free as she had nowhere to live. We discussed rent for the 3rd month and forward and agreed on $600 for 1 bedroom. I helped her get a full time job, open a bank account and pull herself back into reality as she was living in her car. After about a year, her daughter also moved in as my friend didn't have a home and obviously her daughter wasn't living with her and living elsewhere. I then gave them 2 bedrooms and charged her $700 a month. It was agreed that she lives with us as family and everything is included for that $700/mth; food, laundry, heat, hot water, electricity, cable, tv, internet, parking...everything. I've never asked her to do anything around the house like shovel snow, clean anything or mow grass etc. All i've ever asked of her is to not bring and store food in their rooms. They continue to do so. Rotten fruit, snacks, dirty dishes etc. Also...her daughter is a PIG, yes a PIG. Shes 16 and doesn't EVER clean her room. There are dirty snot tissues, trash, empty water bottles along with food all throughout her room. I'm annoyed because we are/were??? friends and i'm stuck between their rooms are none of my business as they pay me rent and shes supposed to be my friend and shes trashing my house.
Tell them they have to clean up their act or they have to leave. You are doing them a favor plus you are including food which is very generous of you. I hope she's not a good friend because this may end the friendship. If the daughter is a slob give her warnings. Tell them not to leave dirty dishes and tell the to buy a small garbage can at the dollar store to throw her used tissues out.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM

663 posts, read 428,588 times
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

Tough call on this one. You have gone above and beyond for your friend and her daughter. True she is paying rent, but she is not holding up to what you have requested of her.. to not have food in their rooms and to respect your house by not being a pig.
I assume that you do not have a written contract with her regarding your expectations of her as a renter?

If so you could create one and see if she will sign and then stick to it?

Otherwise you might have to ask her to move out. Your sanity, comfort and investment in your property as house owner is more important than your friend and her inconsiderate daughter.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try and talk with her. And she has a small trash can....its overflowing, LOL

Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,641,022 times
Normally I would say they have a right to privacy, but if they leave their door open and you see snot rags on the floor or dirty plates or food wrappers or empty cans they waive that right. You need to talk to both of them and let them know you are doing them a favor and they should appreciate it or they can return to their car.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,508,553 times
Quote:
She is a friend.
Not so much.

Quote:
She lived with me and my family for 2 months rent free as she had nowhere to live.
I helped her get a full time job, open a bank account and pull herself back into reality as she was living in her car.

After about a year, her daughter also moved in...

I've never asked her to do anything around the house like...
All i've ever asked of her is to not bring and store food in their rooms. They continue to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqR8zO0vpG8

Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,883,826 times
Okay. Since words typed can lack expression and nuance, this is said in a helpful way based on experience.

"All i've ever asked of her is to not bring and store food in their rooms. They continue to do so."

If you truly want to address your problem you need to get business like...or just reasonable-sensible-friend like. This was the only condition of a verbal? lease and your tenant can not obey this only condition. Not good as friend. Definitely not good as a tenant.

So, obviously when you asked her only one thing regarding her living in your house, she did not adhere to that one requirement. That's one thing you asked. She continues to not abide by it. Sounds like she needs help in a place that is not your home. There are places for people like that where she can stay, you can visit, and your property/finances are safe.

Rotten fruit, snacks, dirty dishes etc. Also...her daughter is a PIG, yes a PIG. Shes 16 and doesn't EVER clean her room. There are dirty snot tissues, trash, empty water bottles along with food all throughout her room.

Your friend is a health hazard and getting worse. Simple.

i'm stuck between their rooms are none of my business as they pay me rent

No, it is very much NOT true that renting allows a person to damage and destroy. It is NOT true that paying for a room or apartment or house gives a tenant the right to put the owners property at risk with garbage, rat bait (the left over food), unhygienic items, just the same as all rental with good landlords....risk can just as easily be with certain pets, with certain drugs, with certain shady characters, with letting something overflow going on to work without notification to the landlord, with letting things burn up, with their own wild parties, etc. etc. whether the owner is on site, next door, cross town or in another country.

Upkeep of a rental property or a private property is essential to the continued 'health' and value of the property. Sure, there are crumby landlords that let their properties run down. But you don't seem to be one of those. You seem to want to be the landlord who maintains the property in topnotch condition. But somehow you don't do that. Because your tenant pays you? Does not compute.

shes supposed to be my friend and shes trashing my house

I mean this is a helpful way...this sounds immature. Friends can come to teenager's homes and make a mess and mom doesn't allow them over anymore. Drunk or mentally disturbed adults may come to a party in a home and do damage to the home....and are driven home, kicked out, police called, whatever is needed. NOT that you should do that with your tenant but there are places you can find to get her help where she can live I would think. She is a troubled person.

I'm annoyed because we are/were??? friends and i'm stuck
shes supposed to be my friend and shes trashing my house.

Refer back to the young, doesn't-know-what-to-do teen. You're not that. Be the grown up who knows what to do to maintain the health and value of your property and yourself.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 05-22-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM

Thank you, this was most helpful. I'm planning to talk to her the next chance shes here. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,342,078 times
I ran a boarding house. Those tenants were friends to an extent. We had house rules. It was the only way to keep autonomy in motion. Each accountable.
We eventually hired a maid to keep common areas tidy. No foods or pIles of items in rooms.
Increase the rent to cover a maid service. Pass this cost onto these friends. They will soon enough learn to curtail their inconsiderate habits.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM

2,598 posts, read 2,149,362 times
I'd would say it's too me for a household meeting. Write down your expectations, a list, #1, #2 ,etc so it doesn't go off on other things and get through list before discussions. Tape list to frig so they can see it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting