Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 08:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Try apartment going up by $300 a month..

Well then the decision should be easy. Only a new fool would stay in a apt with that kind of increase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 05:51 AM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I was going to ignore your hogwash, but this one made me have to answer. I can drive thru town right now, and Ill see over a dozen signs, looking for electricians, plumbers, painters, framers, drivers, a/c service techs and more. Anyone who cant, or wont, get a decent job paying a decent wage, well its on them. Theres tons of good jobs out there. And yes, Mike Rowe is offering lots of scholarships to get people into trade schools, as well as many others. So theres thousands of jobs out there for well more than minimum wage. Its up to people to get off their dead ass, get trained, and have any amount of jobs at their disposal. No, they dont have to work at McDonalds if they dont want to. Problem is they'd rather stay at McDonalds, not get a second job, and then whine they cant afford housing. I worked 2 jobs for part of my working career, because I couldnt afford housing without doing that. You do what you have to do. Or not. But stop whining, opportunities are out there.
100% correct. Here is the USA anyone can be a millionaire if they have the drive, fortitude and the will to succeed.

The difference between a rich person and a poor person, is the rich person has had more failures, but persevered to achieve success.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 AM

486 posts, read 415,942 times
To be fair, even working at McDonald's has opportunities for advancement beyond minimum wage. That's the STARTING point, not the end. They train well and promote from within as much as they can. So even if someone stays at McDonald's, it's STILL on them if five years later they aren't making much more than minimum wage.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
To be fair, even working at McDonald's has opportunities for advancement beyond minimum wage. That's the STARTING point, not the end. They train well and promote from within as much as they can. So even if someone stays at McDonald's, it's STILL on them if five years later they aren't making much more than minimum wage.
100% truth.

If you don’t have the drive, either in your dna or by self motivation, you’re going to get nowhere in life. Now don’t get me wrong, if you’re happy earning minimum wage and can pay your bills, without tax payer assistance, kudos to you. Live your life your way, but do not complain when someone has more than you and don’t cry and whine about how unfair life is... life isn’t fair.. it’s up to YOU it make your life work for you.

(When I say you here, I mean you in the generic sense and it’s not directed at LLinVA)

Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Well then the decision should be easy. Only a new fool would stay in a apt with that kind of increase
We are trying to buy a house. But even houses at 400k are going in a matter of a day if not hours. It isn't as easy as you think.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:38 AM

That means you are in a high cost of living area that may not be a good match for your income. Are you ready to buy a $400k house, really? Just because it's where you live now, doesn't mean it's the best place for you to keep living.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:32 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
[quote=LLinVA;56909494]That means you are in a high cost of living area that may not be a good match for your income. Are you ready to buy a $400k house, really? Just because it's where you live now, doesn't mean it's the best place for you to keep living.[/QUOTE

My income is plenty fine. You cannot buy something in Denver for less than 400k if you want to be
In a safe area.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:46 PM

[quote=himain;56909926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
That means you are in a high cost of living area that may not be a good match for your income. Are you ready to buy a $400k house, really? Just because it's where you live now, doesn't mean it's the best place for you to keep living.[/QUOTE

My income is plenty fine. You cannot buy something in Denver for less than 400k if you want to be
In a safe area.
Then buy something. Take your time and find the right place. If your income is fine to buy, then don't rent. Find the right place.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:56 AM

234 posts, read 228,124 times
In general, inflation in all areas is outpacing wage growth which is ridiculous. Only we have the power to influence the market by just refusing to pay for overpriced foods and services.

There are a lot of foolish unnecessary things that we spend money on that drive up the cost of resources. Imagine if people didn't obsessively buy playstations, a new iphone evry year, etc. All of those things require a lot of natural resources, which I find wasteful drivers of resource cost increases.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:58 AM

234 posts, read 228,124 times
[quote=LLinVA;56911375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

Then buy something. Take your time and find the right place. If your income is fine to buy, then don't rent. Find the right place.

I suggest moving to a lower cost area. It may add about $100/month or more to your fuel costs assuming it's a longer drive than your current spot, but if you can save more than $100/month in rent you would have recovered the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting