Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
"Normal living" to you is making a ton of noise late at night?

Normal living to me is living as i pleased without worry about the feeling of other people within bound of the law. I will not for example vacuum in the middle of the night or blast my tv so loud that windows will vibrate but at the same time i will listen to tv at normal volume. I will use a blender if i am making something that is required the use of it etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 PM

695 posts, read 998,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think your chances of getting your landlord to come over to your house at 10 PM and sit there waiting for your neighbor to make loud noises are pretty slim.

Quite honestly, there really isn't any way to tell which tenant is causing the problem. Maybe the other tenant really is excessively noisy, or maybe the complainer is excessively sensitive.

My own experience: I was sitting in my car in a tenant's driveway, with my windows open. I heard a neighbor's car drive by and looked up and saw it.

My tenant came rushing out of the house screaming about See! See! See what noise I have to put up with! Radios blasting so loud it shakes my house.

I was sitting right there, I heard the car (tire noise) and I saw it and I didn't hear any radio. I'm not hard of hearing. I would have noticed a blasting car radio.

At any rate, the neighbor drove up, turned into his driveway and turned his car off. Even if he had been blasting the radio it would have been turned off in under 2 minutes.

If tenants want to complain about excessive noise, I want to see police reports. I can't go into court and ask a judge to evict a family because the tenant next door claims they are noisy-- and especially when the noise complained about is walking too loudly.

I'm not a referee and I'm not going to sort out who is causing the problem. If two neighbors really can't get along, I'm happy to kick them both out and that way I get the problem tenant for sure.

All good points. However, is it possible to write into a lease that between 10 pm and 8 am, it is expected that tenants will observe rules about being quiet? For example, no loud parties, or loud music/TV, for example?

If so, then it would things easier to follow-up when the rules are not followed.

I would guess that police reports would come into play with late night loud parties, etc, but not something like kids running around yelling late at night, for example.

I lived in a wonderful place in New Hampshire for a couple years, an older house converted to 6 apartments, owned by a family business. The house was brick, 100 years old and very well maintained. Never heard a peep from any neighbors, who were all adults. It's kind of a roll of the dice, however, when renting anywhere.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 PM

695 posts, read 998,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
That is because it is hard to document. An eviction against a tenant making noise is near impossible, without multiple instances that are well documented by a third party. Preferably the police.
Good point. Some "noise" is to be expected in a multi-family living situation, and some tenants are not reasonable (goes both ways, some complain too much, some are having loud parties). It's hard to find a "good" rental situation, with a responsive LL and "good" neighbors.

This thread is about noise, but another issue is also hard to deal with, that is smoking in a non-smoking apt complex. I've had situations where tenants smoke, the LL warns them, and they keep doing it and then deny it's them continuing to smoke. Very tough to enforce, and very unpleasant to live with for non-smokers. Eventually, the smokers usually move out, but it can be many months.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
All good points. However, is it possible to write into a lease that between 10 pm and 8 am, it is expected that tenants will observe rules about being quiet? For example, no loud parties, or loud music/TV, for example?

If so, then it would things easier to follow-up when the rules are not followed.

I would guess that police reports would come into play with late night loud parties, etc, but not something like kids running around yelling late at night, for example.

I lived in a wonderful place in New Hampshire for a couple years, an older house converted to 6 apartments, owned by a family business. The house was brick, 100 years old and very well maintained. Never heard a peep from any neighbors, who were all adults. It's kind of a roll of the dice, however, when renting anywhere.

I do not see any judge enforcing that , plus what is your definition of loud music/tv? That is all subjective.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
......., is it possible to write into a lease that between 10 pm and 8 am, it is expected that tenants will observe rules about being quiet? For example, no loud parties, or loud music/TV, for example? ..........

The loud parties and overly loud music can be dealt with by calling the police. If there are several police reports of loud noise during quiet hours, then maybe something can be done.

And very much preferably police complaints for noise filed by more than one neighbor. Which shows that the person complaining isn't just the neighborhood crank.

The kids running at night? It's rude and bad parenting, but there are only two things a landlord can do about loud kids. Give the parent s written notice, which 98% of the time will be ignored. Or try to evict for it and believe me, no judge anywhere in the country will evict a family because their kid was playing in their own apartment. It's just not going to happen. (The judge doesn't have to live downstairs from them and children are a protected class under federal law)

Landlords can not keep children out. Landlords can not group families with children into one wing of the building. A smart landlord would not try to reject for bad parenting, which is very likely to be interpreted as violating federal law.

I wish people would be more considerate, but they aren't.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:07 AM

143 posts, read 177,937 times
Default Another victim-blaming landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think your chances of getting your landlord to come over to your house at 10 PM and sit there waiting for your neighbor to make loud noises are pretty slim.

Quite honestly, there really isn't any way to tell which tenant is causing the problem. Maybe the other tenant really is excessively noisy, or maybe the complainer is excessively sensitive.

My own experience: I was sitting in my car in a tenant's driveway, with my windows open. I heard a neighbor's car drive by and looked up and saw it.

My tenant came rushing out of the house screaming about See! See! See what noise I have to put up with! Radios blasting so loud it shakes my house.

I was sitting right there, I heard the car (tire noise) and I saw it and I didn't hear any radio. I'm not hard of hearing. I would have noticed a blasting car radio.

At any rate, the neighbor drove up, turned into his driveway and turned his car off. Even if he had been blasting the radio it would have been turned off in under 2 minutes.

If tenants want to complain about excessive noise, I want to see police reports. I can't go into court and ask a judge to evict a family because the tenant next door claims they are noisy-- and especially when the noise complained about is walking too loudly.

I'm not a referee and I'm not going to sort out who is causing the problem. If two neighbors really can't get along, I'm happy to kick them both out and that way I get the problem tenant for sure.
You may be a noisemaker yourself if you think 2 minutes of loud music is OK (people can be woken up in 2 seconds). That same person will usually go inside and make more noise that you won't bother to trace.

Your blame everyone because you're too lazy/vague to get to the root cause approach is very common. A random case where someone screams about noise is a red herring. Many noise victims suffer quietly because they know many landlords don't care (vicious cycle). That's exactly why electronic monitoring is needed, followed by people who respect quality of life and aren't reticent to evict just because it loses money.

Calling the police on a neighbor is no small thing to do, as it often just makes them madder, being scum to begin with. If one knows a landlord will only act in extreme cases, the police seem like a waste of time and can cause bad neighbors to retaliate.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
FACT: People driving down the street playing a radio, is not something a landlord can do anything about.

FACT: Other tenants, have the legal right, to lead a normal life, and to do so within their apartment, is their legal right.

FACT: Children have the legal right to normal play within their apartment.

BIG PROBLEM: A lot of reasonable rent apartments, have not been soundproofed, and even normal walking will sound like stomping, in the apartment below. Normal volume speech and talk will be at the same volume next door.

To not have the problems these cause, you have only 1 solution----That is to move into a much higher priced soundproofed unit. Peace and quiet in apartments cost's money. If you want peace and quiet in apartments, you have to be willing to pay to get it.

Building an upscale apartment house considerably raises construction costs, and effects return on investment considerably and require's rent higher than the majority of renters can afford.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
I have heard that that older people like hearing their neighbors through the walls. It makes them feel less lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting