Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:36 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You are complaining someone is misrepresenting your comments ?
Because you get mad because you tell everyone that it's better and cheaper to rent than to buy and then deny it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Because you get mad because you tell everyone that it's better and cheaper to rent than to buy and then deny it?
Show us ... I have challenged you over and over to show us where I ever made those blanket statements.. you can’t because that was never said by me and you repeating the same false information over and over does not make your claim any truer

Old 06-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Show us ... I have challenged you over and over to show us where I ever made those blanket statements.. you can’t because that was never said by me and you repeating the same false information over and over does not make your claim any truer
You say it all the time in fact Landlords that post here say that they benefit from renters but would not lie to them that renting is better or cheaper.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 PM

784 posts, read 728,795 times
Quote:
You say it all the time in fact Landlords that post here say that they benefit from renters but would not lie to them that renting is better or cheaper.
It can be cheaper to rent. Just rent what you need, when you need it, where you need it. You do not need to rent a 1,500 sq ft apartment when you are only one or two people.

Investing the savings into the S&P will far out return the appreciation of a house.

Compare the ability to move annually as a renter, compared to moving annually as an owner. There is no guarantee that you will make out better as an owner in the long run, however there is a definite advantage to being a renter.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
your claim is nonsense .... if you can't prove i said renting is cheaper and everyone should rent instead , then stop the lies because i will call you out on it every time you spew this lie ....

landlords are investors .... they are not comparable to a homeowner paying their own way ... i made a ton of money as a landlord and i did it simply because i was a renter and could deploy that potential house money elsewhere as a landlord .

so i think investing 101 may be a good idea so you can learn the difference between investing in something where others pay vs consuming something yourself .

a drug dealer makes money , a drug dealer who is a user spends money. so your logic of trying to say landlords love renters is ridiculous ... owning a home to live in is not the same as owning investment real estate that someone else pays for . being a renter is what allowed me the flexibility of being that landlord and investor .

in fact i did not even need to own some of the property i made money on . i was a partner in the commercial lease rights , on the business's in the 200 central park south building without even owning the property . we held the rights to collect and keep the rents on property we did not even own .

those business's in the building want to be tenants because it frees up their capital to have these fabulous lucrative business's they run . these business are so large they can buy any property they like , but they choose not to and found it more profitable to pay us and put their money in their business's .

so never confuse a homeowner consuming their own property with an investor in real estate or anything else for that matter . that investor does not even need to own the property to have tenants nor be a homeowner themselves ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-16-2019 at 03:06 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
It can be cheaper to rent. Just rent what you need, when you need it, where you need it. You do not need to rent a 1,500 sq ft apartment when you are only one or two people.

Investing the savings into the S&P will far out return the appreciation of a house.

Compare the ability to move annually as a renter, compared to moving annually as an owner. There is no guarantee that you will make out better as an owner in the long run, however there is a definite advantage to being a renter.
Yes it can be cheaper to rent a small apartment than to buy a house, that's a no brainer and I didn't think that was even the argument. But, the one room with a tiny bathroom studio that I rented over 25 years ago in north NJ, not even the most expensive part, cost more than my mortgage today for a 3/1 in SW Florida.

Also moving every year as you think of a money saver for a renter costs a lot of money or at least some money and a lot of sweat equity and is a huge hassle.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
your claim is nonsense .... if you can't prove i said renting is cheaper and everyone should rent instead , then stop the lies because i will call you out on it every time you spew this lie ....

landlords are investors .... they are not comparable to a homeowner paying their own way ... i made a ton of money as a landlord and i did it simply because i was a renter and could deploy that potential house money elsewhere as a landlord .

so i think investing 101 may be a good idea so you can learn the difference between investing in something where others pay vs consuming something yourself .

a drug dealer makes money , a drug dealer who is a user spends money. so your logic of trying to say landlords love renters is ridiculous ... owning a home to live in is not the same as owning investment real estate that someone else pays for . being a renter is what allowed me the flexibility of being that landlord and investor .

in fact i did not even need to own some of the property i made money on . i was a partner in the commercial lease rights , on the business's in the 200 central park south building without even owning the property . we held the rights to collect and keep the rents on property we did not even own .

those business's in the building want to be tenants because it frees up their capital to have these fabulous lucrative business's they run . these business are so large they can buy any property they like , but they choose not to and found it more profitable to pay us and put their money in their business's .

so never confuse a homeowner consuming their own property with an investor in real estate or anything else for that matter . that investor does not even need to own the property to have tenants nor be a homeowner themselves ..
Stop calling me out and I will stop calling you out. You can't let thing go because you know what you post and you post it several times a week and maybe I will start to make copies of your post to show you what you are not aware that you are posting.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
I don’t blame someone for not wanting a bunch of hassle and maintenance, but to me renting would be way more of that. I have owned places since I was 24 twelve years ago and I’ve never understood the fuss about maintenance as it relates to a home. I don’t do anything basically as a home owner. The front yard is an HOA responsibility for $85/month, sprinklers are on a timer I don’t touch more than twice a year (before and after the summer), the backyard is bark dust, and nothing inside needs any real maintenance. Oh wow I change the HVAC filter every 4 or 5 months when I remember to do it. That’s a 1-2 minute task. That’s literally all I can think of. Housekeeping is something you have to do anywhere you live or pay someone else to do, either way, except a hotel room maybe.

I do know people who seem to waste hundreds of hours per year on home stuff and yard work but that’s entirely their choice whether they realize that or not - my homes don’t require that and if they did I’d either not buy them or I’d hire someone to do that work. I’m baffled what it is these people are spending so much time doing because it’s really not that hard.

As for renting, it depends on your standards. I don’t want to live in any apartment no matter how nice - poor soundproofing, communal living, and not enough space with money being flushed down the toilet and an inability to change what I want to match my standards. I don’t have regular standards, I want soundproof windows in my bedroom, top notch HVAC, quality fixtures I choose, etc. Renting doesn’t make sense for me and my standards. It works for other people and that’s fine, just not my idea of an acceptable lifestyle.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don’t blame someone for not wanting a bunch of hassle and maintenance, but to me renting would be way more of that. I have owned places since I was 24 twelve years ago and I’ve never understood the fuss about maintenance as it relates to a home. I don’t do anything basically as a home owner. The front yard is an HOA responsibility for $85/month, sprinklers are on a timer I don’t touch more than twice a year (before and after the summer), the backyard is bark dust, and nothing inside needs any real maintenance. Oh wow I change the HVAC filter every 4 or 5 months when I remember to do it. That’s a 1-2 minute task. That’s literally all I can think of. Housekeeping is something you have to do anywhere you live or pay someone else to do, either way, except a hotel room maybe.

I do know people who seem to waste hundreds of hours per year on home stuff and yard work but that’s entirely their choice whether they realize that or not - my homes don’t require that and if they did I’d either not buy them or I’d hire someone to do that work. I’m baffled what it is these people are spending so much time doing because it’s really not that hard.

As for renting, it depends on your standards. I don’t want to live in any apartment no matter how nice - poor soundproofing, communal living, and not enough space with money being flushed down the toilet and an inability to change what I want to match my standards. I don’t have regular standards, I want soundproof windows in my bedroom, top notch HVAC, quality fixtures I choose, etc. Renting doesn’t make sense for me and my standards. It works for other people and that’s fine, just not my idea of an acceptable lifestyle.
Plus the lack of feeling secure not knowing if you will be surprised and in 3 days be told you have to move. You can also have your rent raised by any amount in many places since it's not regulated. Also the Landlord and super has keys to your place and can enter anytime you are not home. You really have little to no recourse if they do but to move. Plus all they have to do is get a monthly pest control contract and enter once a month whether or not you are home. Plus when you buy and get a mortgage your valuables are protected from theft and fire thru your property insurance, that's something often forgotten that if you are a renter you have to pay extra for that and most people don't get renter's insurance.

Often the outside home maintenance argument is made by people in a sour grapes kind of way who justify that they can't afford to buy because they are not financially disciplined.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 AM

it all depends where you live ...new laws signed this week in new york state are the most favorable tenant laws ever here, and the worst news for landlords .

millions of renters benefit from these new laws put in place by cuomo as more then half of all rentals in nyc and the boroughs fall under stabilization and now it applies to all of ny state .

even rent increases can't be more then the average of the last 5 years that was allowed . capital improvement increases are capped at 2% down from the allowed 6% . no more 20% vacancy increases if rents were below what was allowed , any preferential rents become the new base and can't be raised .. if you are in the apartment 15 years or more the landlord can't take the apartment for his use . the list goes on and on and for landlords it maybe a game changer , for tenants it is a landmark win .

already major real estate holders are talking about taking the buildings co-op to get out from under the new laws as they no longer want any part of being landlords over rentals . once the tenant moves or takes a buy out the apartments will no longer be rentals and instead will be co-ops which can be sold individually . .

https://www.amny.com/news/politics/r...nyc-1.32294666

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-16-2019 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting