Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM

531 posts, read 452,335 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine rented his upstairs flat to what turned out to be a bunch of druggies. They stole the refrigerator and stove and sold them. Is there any way to prevent this? Specifically, are there any appliances that you can chain to the wall studs, or otherwise keep from being moved?
As you would expect, their security deposit has already gone to the rent they didn't pay. Even though there is no limit on deposits in this state and town, you don't get ordinary renters willing and able to put down more than first, last, and deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:40 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Chained up appliances. Yes, that could be done. I don't know if that would stop theft, since chains can be cut and tenants have lots of time to saw away.

Writing ownership information really big on one side with an engraving pen would help. Appliances are anonymous and easy to sell. Maybe less so with a "property of ZZ Apartments" written huge on the side.

The best way to prevent your tenants from stealing the appliances is to screen a lot better and not rent to thieves and druggies in the first place.

Screening doesn't stop tweekers from breaking in and stealing appliances from vacant apartments, but it should stop the actual tenants from stealing.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
A friend of mine rented his upstairs flat to what turned out to be a bunch of druggies. They stole the refrigerator and stove and sold them. Is there any way to prevent this? Specifically, are there any appliances that you can chain to the wall studs, or otherwise keep from being moved?
As you would expect, their security deposit has already gone to the rent they didn't pay. Even though there is no limit on deposits in this state and town, you don't get ordinary renters willing and able to put down more than first, last, and deposit.
Did he file a police report for theft? You are better off putting GPS chips hidden under or behind the fridge and stove, anything that can be bolted down or chained down can obviously be removed, it would have to be to ever be replaced. You may be able to get a tamper proof alarm that makes a sound or has wifi that can report when it's been activated I would guess. They make cheap ones for windows where the two halves are separated a loud alarm sounds off but that alone is not enough. What you needed was a background check, federal not just state or local. Otherwise have cheap $150 appliances for used appliance places so that they are not even worth selling.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Your friend should file a theft report with the police.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I would think bolting to floor or wall would fix most of the issues. Most druggies wouldn't put the effort into hacking away for hours to sell a used stove.

My condolences for having to live near these types of people.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would think bolting to floor or wall would fix most of the issues. Most druggies wouldn't put the effort into hacking away for hours to sell a used stove. ...........

They will hack away at walls and plumbing for hours on end to steal $20 worth of copper pipe. They put way more work into stealing pipe than it would cost them effort to flip burgers for the day and the burger flipping pays better.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Just have the Tenants supply their own appliances .... sheesh

Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would think bolting to floor or wall would fix most of the issues. Most druggies wouldn't put the effort into hacking away for hours to sell a used stove.

My condolences for having to live near these types of people.
If it can be bolted it can be unbolted and having watched many episodes of Intervention I can tell you that many drug addicts full time job is finding ways to steal things from anyone including family.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Yup. Dont offer appliances in the rental.

Engrave the appliances with name and phone number and address.

Otherwise there is no real way to secure them where they cannot be removed. And imo if you’re renting to people where you need to chain down appliances.........

I would go with The cheapest appliance you can get on Craigslist. And charge a monthly appliance rent fee built in the rent. Set that mi eh aside for when they get stolen you can get others

Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They will hack away at walls and plumbing for hours on end to steal $20 worth of copper pipe. They put way more work into stealing pipe than it would cost them effort to flip burgers for the day and the burger flipping pays better.
Jeez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting