Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

Her Dad was low income and basically lived almost rent free at a house that technically his brother owned. His daughter (my GF) is next of kin. However, the upstairs tenant, his brother's Grandson, bullied my GF not even 3 days after her Dad's death to "get your stuff out of there" and then yesterday, we found out he changed the locks and unplugged the garage door opener.
Based on the next of kin relationship isn't this the same as illegally locking a tenant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM

724 posts, read 529,655 times
Was she a resident at that address?

Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Your girlfriend’s uncle allowed her father (his brother) to live in his house rent free until his recent death? Apparently the uncle’s grandson (your GF’s 2nd cousin) isn’t giving her access to her Dad’s possessions.

Your GF should contact her uncle so she can get access to remove her Dad’s things. Nope, she doesn’t get to come and go without permission. Nope, she doesn’t get to live there either. It was a brother to brother courtesy and your GF has no rights. However, if she did live there as a tenant, she should get 30 days’ notice before being locked out.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 PM

724 posts, read 529,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Your girlfriend’s uncle allowed her father (his brother) to live in his house rent free until his recent death? Apparently the uncle’s grandson (your GF’s 2nd cousin) isn’t giving her access to her Dad’s possessions.

Your GF should contact her uncle so she can get access to remove her Dad’s things. Nope, she doesn’t get to come and go without permission. Nope, she doesn’t get to live there either. It was a brother to brother courtesy and your GF has no rights. However, if she did live there as a tenant, she should get 30 days’ notice before being locked out.
Depends on the state and length of tenancy. Hopefully the OP will be back with more info.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Your girlfriend has no rights at all until she has the papers proving she is the executor of the estate. Next of kin means nothing until she can prove that she was the sole heir. She can't just go and clean out all the assets just because she got there first. There may be other people with claims to the estate.

No one is going to just take her word for it that she is the next of kin and the only heir.

Then the estate owes rent for all the time that the apartment was not returned to the landlord, so she had better get hoppin' to get all the paperwork done.

Once she proves she has the legal right, then she will have to make an appointment. She won't get free access to the apartment.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Contact the sheriff office. As next of kin you are legally allowed to retrieve the items that belonged to the deceased.
Being on the lease is irrelevant when it's time to remove items . I know . It happened in my family. We just had to show proof of relation .

Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Her Dad was low income and basically lived almost rent free at a house that technically his brother owned. His daughter (my GF) is next of kin. However, the upstairs tenant, his brother's Grandson, bullied my GF not even 3 days after her Dad's death to "get your stuff out of there" and then yesterday, we found out he changed the locks and unplugged the garage door opener.
Based on the next of kin relationship isn't this the same as illegally locking a tenant?
You can't lock out a person who has passed away, but if she also lived there he can't kick her out and change the locks. But is she didn't live there and had stuff or wanted her dads stuff they can't make it unreasonable like 3 days, I would guess, I think they do have to hold on to it at least a month.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:31 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Contact the sheriff office. As next of kin you are legally allowed to retrieve the items that belonged to the deceased.
Being on the lease is irrelevant when it's time to remove items . I know . It happened in my family. We just had to show proof of relation .
Um, the existence of a will, an executor, and heir(s) are going to matter more than a nebulous "next of kin". The GF could be both or neither. If he died intestate the laws of that state (which wasn't mentioned BTW) will determine who teh property may belong to. IMHO the LL is being conservative and protecting the property until this is clear and someone shows up with the right paperwork.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, the existence of a will, an executor, and heir(s) are going to matter more than a nebulous "next of kin". The GF could be both or neither. If he died intestate the laws of that state (which wasn't mentioned BTW) will determine who teh property may belong to. IMHO the LL is being conservative and protecting the property until this is clear and someone shows up with the right paperwork.
Yes I'm sure that the family will fight for a dirty blanket and that the reason they are not letting her get it because they are afraid of being sued rather than the rightful people who would sue over the dirty blanket which is any other heirs to the daughter/said owner of the dirty blanket.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Was she a resident at that address?
This is a very important question, because if she was living there, this is blatantly illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting