Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

Why I have never.

I just signed a lease, and was setting up my online payment options on their website. You can imagine my shock when it said that an additional $50 service fee would be added to the payment (it goes to the third party). $50!!!!

I was like HELL NO. I emailed my agent telling him that I would not be paying online (we can pay with a regular check) and dropping of the payment instead at the office. Looks like it's time to go to the store and buy me some envelopes and stamps like back in the old days, lol.

Has anyone ever experienced such a high service fee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Two rentals ago, an apt complex, charged $24.95 for online payments. That was 8 years ago so I’m sure the price went up. I paid by check and hand delivered it.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Two rentals ago, an apt complex, charged $24.95 for online payments. That was 8 years ago so I’m sure the price went up. I paid by check and hand delivered it.
It's crazy. I wonder how many people actually pay it on a regular basis. What would be even sadder is someone who thinks this is the only way to pay their rent, and feels like they have to or are required, and waste their money doing so.

I get that the third party needs to make their money, but geez. It's a rip off, and with that said I can easily afford it, but I am not interested in burning away my money.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
My bank (us bank)offers free ability to send money directly to checking account if account information is provided. Considering that all banks now offer free bill pay, just use that option.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
It's crazy. I wonder how many people actually pay it on a regular basis. What would be even sadder is someone who thinks this is the only way to pay their rent, and feels like they have to or are required, and waste their money doing so.

I get that the third party needs to make their money, but geez. It's a rip off, and with that said I can easily afford it, but I am not interested in burning away my money.
Im sure a lot do. It’s a rip off to you, but not to those who use it.

I didn’t pay online because it wasn’t a benefit for me to do so. It was just as easy to walk 150 feet, hand over a check and get a receipt.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Why I have never.

I just signed a lease, and was setting up my online payment options on their website. You can imagine my shock when it said that an additional $50 service fee would be added to the payment (it goes to the third party). $50!!!!

I was like HELL NO. I emailed my agent telling him that I would not be paying online (we can pay with a regular check) and dropping of the payment instead at the office. Looks like it's time to go to the store and buy me some envelopes and stamps like back in the old days, lol.

Has anyone ever experienced such a high service fee?
I don’t use third party payment bs. I provide a tenant a address to mail a check or set up a online bank payment that doesn’t cost anything.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My mortgage payment is due on the first, and I pay online. There is no service charge unless you pay after the 9th, and that’s only $8. That is exorbitant, even if the landlord has to pay for the service. Is this in your lease, did you read all of the fine print, or perhaps they left that out intentionally?

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM

982 posts, read 608,715 times
You could also get cheap money orders and send that instead of ordering checks. Might be cheaper.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t use third party payment bs. I provide a tenant a address to mail a check or set up a online bank payment that doesn’t cost anything.
I use Cozy and it doesn’t cost me or my tenants anything as long as they have it set up with their bank account (a credit card costs them a small fee). They get automatic emails when rent is coming due, and when a late fee is applied. I like it because I don’t have to send out paper receipts, they can simply log on to see their payment history and print it out if necessary. Even if they do mail a check or money order, I can simply enter it in as an ‘offline payment’.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

I know a few LLs who only take rent through third party routes. I personally don’t. I dint think I’m ever going to go with that. For the same reason I probably would never use PMC. I would have to up my rents 250/350 bucks to cover the additional costs. Plus I want to have control of who does repairs and the quality of the repairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting